Looking at 95 SC, worth it? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
Looking at 95 SC, worth it?

I prefer manual transmissions overall, and my Crown Vic looks like it will be sold soon. That said, I found this 1995 SuperCoupe about 9 hours from me that I'm interested in. Is $3500 acceptable for a car with a leaky brake line/wheel cylinder and a few tears in the leather?

I'm not buying the car as an "investment" but to drive and enjoy. Not overly concerned with how much it's worth down the road. I'm familiar with the 4.6V8, and may lean towards a better condition 97 with the 4.6 because there are fewer things I have to fix before I can enjoy the car.

Just looking for opinions, here's a link to the sale.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251637865100...%3AIT#viTabs_0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 08:42 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
If you are looking for a car to drive and enjoy, I would say yes. The SCs are a completely different animal from the 4.6 cars, especially with the 5-speed. A brake line is a cheap and easy fix, and the seats aren't going to be perfect on any 140k mile car. The 95 5-speed SC is one of only 522, it is black on grey which is probably the most desirable color combo, and if the car is solid and rust free, it will at the very least hold it's value even as the mileage goes up, so when you sell it down the road you can get most of your money back. Honestly the only thing I would be worried about is with 140k, the head gaskets probably aren't long for this world, so it you are going to depend on the car as a daily driver, I would do new head gaskets and ARP head studs before driving it, this way you know everything will be solid.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 09:11 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Price is fine, but I notice no underside pictures and located in MI--RUST.

Leak to me implies need to find it and bench bleed the master cylinder (implies to me system is dry). Another rust indicator.

The rest of possible issues are easily fixed. I'm willing to bet being stored for ten years and only ran once a year coolant is acidic and needs new HG.

If all else fails get a bigger hammer!

93 SC Tbird
MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 40# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip (Tuned by Jerry),3/4" Raised Top, F52-TT TC, SilverFox AOD 550, SPT-R VB
96 1/2 XR7 Sold and Salvaged
93 5.0 Tbird
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowez View Post
Price is fine, but I notice no underside pictures and located in MI--RUST.

Leak to me implies need to find it and bench bleed the master cylinder (implies to me system is dry). Another rust indicator.

The rest of possible issues are easily fixed. I'm willing to bet being stored for ten years and only ran once a year coolant is acidic and needs new HG.
Yeah, if the brakes leaked dry, I know that's an issue, and I was worried about head gaskets/coolant. As I've found out on my low mile CV, if they don't get driven, they fall apart when you start driving them. No getting around the age.

I think I'll pass it up, not a "bad" car per se, but more work than I want to drive it.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 07:57 PM
1st Gear Poster

Interesting, the owner lives in Texas, car is in MI for the last 10 or so, its listed on the SCCOA sale board : http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthre...95-SC-For-Sale, and now listed on the flea.
It was also listed down here on CL, sent him a message asked the ?'s that anyone knowing these SC's would ask. Actually thought about picking it up- but I'm not doing a road trip to MI just for it to break down on my way back. Never did get a reply.
If you bid and win- consider hauling it back to avoid any concerns.

Is it worth 3500? Not in my book- yet. At best- 2000, even with low mileage.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 10:04 PM
1st Gear Poster

Did you buy it?

I wouldn't mind getting another 94/95 SC, especially if it were a 5-speed.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
I sent him a message on ebay and he never replied.

I didn't bother trying to contact him on Craigslist (I saw it there too), I was hesitant since the brake fluid leaked out... That screamed neglect to me.

I figured he must not like it much if he let the brake fluid run out, and as much as I'd love a 5 speed SC, I don't want lots of problems.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
Ok, still looking at Thunderbirds, hoping to look at a couple this weekend. There's a nice looking 96 V8 I have my eye on, but then I saw this one. The good is that it's had the head gaskets replaced, has a 5 speed, and no rust. The bad is the paint is shot, as is the driver's seat upholstery. Is this worth looking at, or should I pass it by? 120,000 miles, no leaks, no burning fluids supposedly. I figure if the rest of the car checks out OK, I'd offer him less than his asking price, but looking for opinions on SC guys before I do so.
http://appleton.craigslist.org/cto/4599660235.html
Thanks!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 10:26 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
I would love to have a 5-speed anniversary edition. That is the rarest MN12 ever made! Unfortunately they don't hold their value very well unless they are ultra-low mileage and in pristine condition. If everything else checks out, I would explain that the cost of a good quality repaint would be around $5000, and re-upholstering the seats is going to be another $1000, and also you almost always find that one of these cars needs strut rod bushings and ball joints, which would be another $4-600 at a shop, then after explaining all that, offer him $2000, and be willing to go up to $2500.

-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeyL View Post
I would love to have a 5-speed anniversary edition. That is the rarest MN12 ever made! Unfortunately they don't hold their value very well unless they are ultra-low mileage and in pristine condition. If everything else checks out, I would explain that the cost of a good quality repaint would be around $5000, and re-upholstering the seats is going to be another $1000, and also you almost always find that one of these cars needs strut rod bushings and ball joints, which would be another $4-600 at a shop, then after explaining all that, offer him $2000, and be willing to go up to $2500.
Thanks! That's precisely what I was thinking was a fair value.
I figure if he won't bite, there's the 96V8 an hour down the road I can look at with no paint issues, and the 4.6 is a known motor to me having owned several 4.6 V8 equipped Fords recently.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 01:36 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Sounds good. Also keep in mind the T45 or TR3650 swap into a 4.6 car is not that bad!

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeyL View Post
Sounds good. Also keep in mind the T45 or TR3650 swap into a 4.6 car is not that bad!
I was looking into that too. I think a later year model 3650 would be a nice addition.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in