The all new to me - 89 Supercoupe! (Tons of Pics) - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

The all new to me - 89 Supercoupe! (Tons of Pics)

Hey folks,

Just stopping by since I decided it's time to add another Thunderbird to my fleet.

Currently I have my 95 T-Bird LX with the V8, and I do have my Taurus station wagon with the Essex, so I decided I needed a manual transmission supercharged glory.

Quite honesty, this is the fastest car I have ever owned. And it's a bit exhilarating. Once the supercharger begins to kick in, the beast just flies away.

Bought it from a SCCoA guy, who originally posted it on Craigslist. I ended up searching SCCoA first to see if the guy was familiar with it, I found it there. Car has quite a few tasteful mods done to it,

The day I went to go look and buy it. I had money in hand waiting to buy this thing the minute I saw it.

Purchased with 126k miles, the previous owner had the following done to the car:
Cervini's hood
ZR cold air intake
Supercharger over drive pulley
Eibach pro kit springs
Tokico adjustable shocks/struts
Among other things.

The car wasn't perfect though, it had it's fair share of issues. The overhead lights did not work when doors were open, power mirrors only worked when you flipped the overhead lights on from the switch, and opened the door, and other weird electrical glitches relating to the same circuit. And driver's door seat belt did not work.

Upon ripping it apart, found out that a main junction point had corroded out and deteriorated.

Thankfully from doing keyless entry mod to my LX, I was familiar with where wire splices and junctions were under the carpet.

Used a thick jumper to bridge the gap.

Much more reliable than Ford's method, and this fixed all my lighting and mirror issues.

Same issue with the driver's seatbelt not working, in the door the wire that fed from the door ajar switch to the trunk got broken, this took more time since I had to find the wire, then hook my tester in to find where it broke.

While I had the car apart, I decided to fix the stereo, previous owner had an Alpine that was probably good back in the day, but decided to modernize it with a stereo with an auxiliary input.

Funny thing, the premium sound system was never truly bypassed... I had to bypass the amp so that the head unit was the working, sounded much better after that.

This worked just fine

Previous owner had the white face gauges in, however, at night the lighting was not well balanced, and it was hard to look at during the night, thankfully he gave the factory gauges and those are now back in the car

But there she is, my new Bird!

Hope to post more of it and with it along my newly restored 95 LX

1995 Ford Thunderbird LX in Midnight Blue - 4.6L V8 Currently at 78k miles. Assembled 3/22/95 - Reborn October 22, 2013 with tons less rust
1989 Ford Thunderbird S/C in White - 3.8L SC at 121k Miles.

Other ride:
1995 Ford Taurus LX Station Wagon, Old Man Tan, with the ever so powerful 3.8L V6 Essex!

2002 Mercury Sable LS Premium - Wife's car - Old man tan as well with a Duratec! Leaky Fun with oil everywhere 89k miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 06:00 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Nice looking addition to the fleet.

Definitely agree with you on the unevenness of illumination of aftermarket gauge faces; been there... done that. Did the early SCs not get the 145 MPH speedo?

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Seems not

I believe it was on later years, but apparently it'll swap right in.

1995 Ford Thunderbird LX in Midnight Blue - 4.6L V8 Currently at 78k miles. Assembled 3/22/95 - Reborn October 22, 2013 with tons less rust

Other ride:
1995 Ford Taurus LX Station Wagon, Old Man Tan, with the ever so powerful 3.8L V6 Essex!

2002 Mercury Sable LS Premium - Wife's car - Old man tan as well with a Duratec! Leaky Fun with oil everywhere 89k miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 06:40 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

145 MPH was a 94-95 thing...I like those orange needles, always wanted to do that to my birds, never did...that car is beautiful! I would paint the B pillar black though, they just don't look right to me body color...but that one looks great! Nice car...do you have a fold down rear seat? How are the front seats? Good shape? Nice SC

2015 Mustang GT Premium / Manual / 3.55 / Recaro
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 06:53 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
I may have a factory 145 speedo in one of my junk drawers...

-Matt
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Ooooh. I may be interested!

The car does have folding rear seats, the front leather is beat up, they have a seat cover over them now that fits well. If I find a decent set I might replace em. Though I've also heard suggestions to go with a black interior. If I can get all the parts for the right price I'd consider it, but the red doesn't bother me, I kind of like it too.

Other ride:

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 08:58 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

SCP has very nice upholstery kits...

2015 Mustang GT Premium / Manual / 3.55 / Recaro
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 06:29 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Nice looking SC. Sounds like you got the SC fever and your already hooked.

1995 SC (five speed)
Best E.T. [email protected]
Best MPH [email protected]
Best 60' 1.7489

1994 SC (automatic) [email protected]
On a stock long block with bolt on's
Sweet SC, lower13's coming.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 11:42 AM
PostWhore

Garage
Great looking car!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Thanks everyone! It's been a great car except one thing.

I Just have one issue. And it's either a few different things I would say.

When driving, the car will just stall out and lose all power, and tach drops to 0. If I leave the car in gear, flip the ignition off, then on, it comes back to life as if there was no problem. I replaced my cam position sensor as I was suggested to replace, didn't fix it. So that leaves crank sensor, DIS module, or even my PCM which was replaced before with a reman. There were no codes logged in the computer when I checked. I pulled the battery cable over night, so hopefully if it acts up again, it'll log something.

Other ride:

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 03:56 PM
6th Gear Poster

Hi Kevin,

Glad to hear your getting things squared away, I'm picking up a new White 1991 SC downstate this week, then off to the SC Shootout for a weekend of watching those guys flat rip into some SC's.

Keep up the good work.

Platoribs House of SHO
95 SHO MTX 73K grn/tan
93 SHO MTX 175K blu/blk
92 SC M5R2 98K Red/Grey tweed ->Blk Cloth SC
89 SC M5R2 112K Blu/Blk Shiny Cobra's! *coming out party, May 20th 2012* Now with moar suspension, brakes and slave cylinder...
91 SC M5R2 100K blk/blk tweed building
86 Mercedes-Benz 300e
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Nice! Can't wait to see this 91!

Today, I fixed one bulb in my climate control. And I had zero issues with the bird since I pulled the battery. Wondering if that fixed it. I love simple fixes like that :P

Other ride:

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Now all my climate control bulbs work!

The two that were controlled by the switch, I found 0 working, but I did take a spare that had the removable bulb size 34. The serviceable bulb lit the fan switch and the temperature slider.

I took my knife and kind of cut some of the plastic apart, and I was able to make that bulb fit in the other socket since I couldn't find the proprietary bulbs. I had a ton for the Gen 2 Taurus EATC, but those didn't fit.

Although I used a 74 for the fan/temp part, since I had a spare from when I fixed the indicators on my Taurus, seems to work nice and bright too

Car is much more beautiful at night

And while I was working on my LX, I took a beautiful shot that shows the SC, and the interior of my LX.

A part of me loves the 95 dash better, but then I see the cool stuff like the compartment above the glovebox, and the maintenance monitor, I then love the 89's dash too.

I have plates for the SC now too, but I'll wait for the rain to quit. If I am lucky, I'll be able to make the SC fit in the garage with the bike, and all my crap. But I doubt it. The SC will have to be out in the snow, but I will throw a cover over it. Both T-Birds won't be driven in snow, already decided this.

Other ride:

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 12:49 AM
4th Gear Poster

Garage
I have a light bulb problem with the 3 Buttons on the right on the climate control. Can I swap a climate control from a 92 in there, I think the newer ones look a bit better. It doesn't look that hard to take it out.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

All 89 - 93 climate control should be the same. If you have the electronic one that displays your temp rather than the slider like the one above, then you need to stick with that or do a ton of modification.

If your Floor, Floor/Defrost, and Defrost section is burnt out. Just goto the junkyard and find that same style, pull the light bulb from the bottom that illuminates the fan and temp section, and just cut a bit of it away, and it'll fit and twist right in. I took all three bulbs from the climate control from a junkyard, and both the ones from the buttons were bad. Initially I only had one working bulb which lit up the off, vent, A/C section.

Other ride:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in