Looking at a '90 SC - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Looking at a '90 SC

Hello all,

I have an opportunity to pick up a 1990 Thunderbird SC for the paltry sum of $700, and for that price I expect there to be problems. The person selling it states he/she "had it running but it ran too rich to pass smog. And it would make the perfect project car for someone with the time to get this Super Coupe back on the road."

They also state it has Posi traction (sic), new vibration dampener, rebuilt main computer, new fuel pump, pump relay, and a new crank timing sensor. I would love to own an SC, but I am really afraid this car may have more problems than the owner is letting on. It is located about 15 miles from me, and I am currently without transportation (except the city bus). Since they live out in the sticks, I don't know if I would be able to see it in person, so I will have to talk to them on the phone or correspond via email.

I have sent them an email asking about the car, and it has been on Craigslist for about a month now, so if there were anyone else interested in it, they passed on it for one reason or another. I have no problem buying the car, and letting it sit while I work on it a little at a time, IF the problems are minor and can be fixed relatively easy. I have been without a vehicle since last December, so if I need to wait a month or two to get this one up and running, so be it. One thing that they says is "the value is in the engine and transmission, put them in your project car"

Which implies the car itself is not in great condition but the drive train is. Looking at the photos, it looks like the front bumper will need replacing, as well as the driver side front fender. and the hood either fixed, or replaced. So that tells me it was in an accident. It does not look like it was a major accident, but maybe the frame was damaged? Other than those three pieces it is also missing the lower aero panel on the passenger side (the one that goes under the door sill).

Anyway, my question to you SC owners is, assuming the frame is not damaged, and I can nail down the too rich problem is there anything else to look for in these SC coupes that might be an issue? I only have two grand to work with here as I just received my VA disability back pay check, and some of that needs to go to smog, registration, and insurance. I know that is not a lot of money when it comes to an SC coupe, but my thoughts are if I can get it for $700, then I can let it sit for as long as needed until I can get some more money to repair it (if needed)

Basically, I would like to know if you would buy this car? Obviously if you already had a good running SC and needed one for parts, this would probably be the perfect car, but would you buy it, in the hopes of getting it back on the road again?
I know I am leaving a lot of info out, but I will try and get more info tomorrow if I can get in touch with the owner.

There are a couple of Thunderbirds under $1,500 that run, and have even been smogged I can buy if this SC turns out to be worse than the owner states, but I do have my heart set on getting it if it is not in need of a really expensive repair.
Also, I should point out that although I was an auto mechanic in the 80's my disability prevents me from doing anything more than a tune up or filter change on vehicles now, so anything major would have to be farmed out.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Well, no matter now. Just got off the phone with the owner of the car, and he says it has several years of back fees due at the DMV. So I will keep looking.

Jim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in