Exhaust sound clips please!! - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2003, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Exhaust sound clips please!!

I know this might sound like a repeat post, but it is not, and I know there are many V8 custom exhaust setups and sound clips out there but not much on the SC.

Ok, I've been planning my custom exhaust on my 94 for some time now, reading all the posts and I have come up with this:

2 1/4" downtubes from 2" ported collectors (stock manifolds)
NO cats
2 1/4" mandrel pipes to dual in-dual out 18" Magnaflow res. (or muffler, whatever you want to call it) and 2 1/4" pipes back to 2 1/2", 45 degree tips

I plan on doing several bolt-ons and tuning later to open up the intake side.
I know at least one SC owner has a similar setup on his SC.

Now for the questions:

1. Would I loose much low-end torque like the V8 guys?
2. Would I get a check engine light " " " " ?
3. I like an authoritive exhaust, much more than stock, but would there be too much drone?
4. With aluminum, mandrel bent piping, what would a ballpark price be (minus price of the res.)

Again, I would love to hear some soundclips from SC's with similar setups!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2003, 09:51 PM
VA Chapter Director

Send a message via AIM to Jason Miller
Here is what my exhaust sounds like on my 94 SC

http://members.tccoa.com/mrjaysc/outside%20exhaust.mpg

It is not a very high quality clip and the sound is not as good as the real thing. When the car is in gear and under a load it has a deeper tone to the exhaust note.

My setup is:
2.25" pipes comming from the stock manifolds with 1 hi-flow cat on each side into a terminator resanator. Single 3" pipe out that splits into two 2.5" pipes at the rear that run into Bullet stainless steel mufflers. It does drone at cruising speeds but I just turn up the radio a bit. The two 12" subs in the trunk drown it out. I did notice after I had the work done that the car would pull harder in the upper RPMs than it ever did before.

I had the entire thing, less the cost of the resanator that I provided, done at a local exhaust shop custom made and installed for $750. If you are going with out cats then you could save $200 bucks.

Don't worry about any check engine lights as long as you make a place to put the oxygen sensor in the drivers side down pipe. I think the passenger side is in the manifold.

I don't think you will have to worry about loosing any torque like the V8 guys. I had my car dyno tuned after my new exhaust was put on and I still made 346 ft/lbs at 2500 rpm at the rear wheels. I have a few other bolt ons like intake and raised bower top but nothing major and I think that is a good torque number.

Member MAMN12 Drag Racing team Best ET 12.44 @109mph
Click here to check out the Mid Atlantic chapter
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2003, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Good thrushy sound there (that's good) and those torque numbers are shizzlin for what mods you have!

Come on, there's got to be more out there
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2003, 10:27 AM
VA Chapter Director

I don't have a great number of mods. He is what I have done to the motor:

K&N pannel filter
ProM 75mm Mass air meter.
3" intake tube from MN12 performance
70mm Throttle body
3/4" Raised SC Top.
Intercooler fan ( didn't have installed when dynoed )
Had 10% OD pully on when dyoned but it kept setting off the knock sensor which in turn pulled timming back. I might have made more power with my new pully off a 90 SC. I know I got quicker at the track when I removed the OD pully and put on the 90 SC pully.
And last but not least I had the car dyno-tuned by the guys from Fordchip.com

The torqe number is good but the car only made 227hp. I figure now that it has quit knocking and not pulling the timming back it's probaly making around 240 rwhp.

I'll see if I can't get a higher quality sound bite of the exhaust sometime this weekend.

Oh, by the way, sounds like we have cars that are almost the same. Mine's performance white with every option except the cell phone.

Last edited by Jason Miller; 04-18-2003 at 10:39 AM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2003, 05:01 PM

YOU WANT THIS SETUP...

I am a very picky person and what I was looking for was a mix of Cobra and European style 6 or V8

I had gone the route of Flowmaster Cat-Back...It was loud and sounded good ONLY when you were at WOT...Other than that, it was the drone I didnt like.

There are fans of this setup, so Im not going to bash the hell out of it, but I think I know what you are looking for.

Dont worry about losing anything by going a bit bigger on the exhaust, I never missed a beat and actually seemed to gain power, no loss of boost and I was using stock manifolds.

I have custom downtubes from manifolds that move the cats back a little, the cats are Magnaflow Stainless 2 1/2 (reduced in the front for the tubes that mate to the manifolds), but 2 1/2 out to dual 2 1/2 inlet Magnaflow 18" resonator, out to 1 3" outlet and all the way back to split into 2 1/2 pipes into 14" (i think) Magnaflow stainless mufflers mounted at a slight angle with tips.

The sound when you are just nosin around town is nice. Not farty or ricer and actually from inside the car it sounds like a V8. Outside it sounds a kin to what I have heard on the V8 Lotus Esprit. I live near an exotic car lot and hear these things all day long.

When you step on it, it just has a sound of its own. It can sound like an 8 with awesome, smooth reaction or like some kind of exotic car. It does not sound ricee, farty or anything like that.,

The drone at cruising is so low that its actually appealing instead of annoying.

The car will be loud when cruising, but at idle it is baby quiet.

When I start the car from inside my house, the windows rattle for a second...

he he he...

www.promuffler.com has good prices on Magnaflow stainless stuff, but ultimately you may get a deal from the place you have it installed if they carry such items.

If you dont want to go stainless, the price is even cheaper.

Installed my entire manifold back system was under $1000
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2003, 11:39 PM
VA Chapter Director

I found a couple more little clips of my exhaust if you want to hear them. Still not high quality sound but you might get the idea. They are from inside the car. One while parked the other while driving. You can hear a little of the drone while I'm driving but it's realy not too bad.

http://members.tccoa.com/matccoa/movies/driving.mpg

http://members.tccoa.com/matccoa/mov...%20exhaust.mpg

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2003, 07:03 AM
Formula 1 Freak

If you can afford it, go with a pair of Borla Mufflers . They're a hundred bucks each, but they last forever, and they are the best sounding mufflers out there HANDS DOWN. I have them on my 90 SC along with a pair of high flow cats, a magna-flow resonator, all on a 2.5" system. I wish I had the means to record a sound-clip, because it sounds better than any SC (and some 8 cylinders!) I have ever heard! I could almost gaurentee that you could not be happier if you bought a pair. I got mine from Summit Racing This link is set up to go right to the mufflers. Here's a clip of a pair of Borla's on a friends car. It's a 4.6 Bird, but my 3.8 sounds just as good. CLIP

-Jeff

common sense...
so rare,
it's kind of like
a super power
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2003, 11:21 AM

I think the borla cat-back system is smaller than 2.5.

I never heard a Magnaflow-Borla 2.5 system...Sounds interesting...and pretty...

Gives me ideas for my 1993 with the crap flowmasters on it.

I am really happy with my 100% Magnaflow system sound and have NEVER been impressed by any system on ANY of the SCs that I have heard...

The Magnaflow-Dynomax is good, but was missing the growl that I wanted...

Heh...i got it.

I need to check out the Borla..I also need to locate a GOOD exhaust shop.

- Mike Manzo
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2003, 06:58 PM
Formula 1 Freak

This is not a "store bought" system. It's a custom system. If you buy a "complete cat back" system, you'll most likely over pay. What you do is buy the high flow cats, resonator, mufflers, and bring it all to a good exhaust shop, and have them bend the pipe, and install it for you. BTW "mandrel" bent pipe is way over-rated. You will NEVER notice the difference IMO. It's extra money paid for something that is not really necessary. If you look at the mufflers I bought (link) you'll see that they are 2.5"

common sense...
so rare,
it's kind of like
a super power
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2003, 05:36 PM
The Parts Guy

My car currently sounds very similar to Jason Miller's. Here's what I have:

2.25" downtubes
2 - 2.25" Catco High Flow Cats
Magnaflow Resonator (PN# 12278)
3" single pipe which splits into 2.75" duals just before the axle
the pipes are just turned down at a 45 degree angle at the bumper

The drone is a little annoying, but I've gotten used to it in just a couple of days (I just had this installed 2 days ago). It does sound really good at WOT, but when cruising below 2000 rpm, it seems to sound ALMOST but not quite ricey. It gave me a tremendous power gain from 2000 - 5500 rpm, and I noticed no difference below 2000 rpm. I will take it to the track in a few weeks and see how much the ET's improve.

-Rod

Rod @ AzzKicker Cars
[email protected]
90 XR7-The Meth Addict-KB SC'd 5.0L DOHC Stroker
2004 Mustang GT-The Driver-Intake/Exhaust/3.73's
1995 F150 4x4-The Mud Toy-5.0L/4R70W/33's/Warn 8274 Winch
94 LX w/Splitport 3.8L from 2000 Mustang - SOLD
2 - 90 35th Anny Ed SC's
And a TON of parts cars!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2003, 08:33 PM
Formula 1 Freak

Quote:
Originally posted by racecougar
The drone is a little annoying, but I've gotten used to it in just a couple of days (I just had this installed 2 days ago). It does sound really good at WOT, but when cruising below 2000 rpm, it seems to sound ALMOST but not quite ricey. It gave me a tremendous power gain from 2000 - 5500 rpm, and I noticed no difference below 2000 rpm. I will take it to the track in a few weeks and see how much the ET's improve.

-Rod
Just reading your post, and wanted to comment on the drone. It's a very common problem. I get some, but it's really very little. Our exhaust systems are quite similar also (I stuck with 2.5" behind the 3" center). Anyway in speaking with George Davenport, he was telling me that the "longer" the resonator, the less of a drone problem. He actually used a Borla (if my memory serves me correctly) muffler for a resonator. It's all it really is anyway. Just figured that if the drone starts getting annoying, (and it probably will!!LOL) at least you'll have an idea on how to squelch it.

-Jeff
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2003, 08:38 PM
The Parts Guy

Actually, I'm either getting used to it, or the sound has changed slightly as the exhaust has broken in. It's not nearly as annoying now as it was at first. Overall, it was well worth the gain in power anyway. By the way, my Magnaflow resonator is 18" long.

-Rod

Rod @ AzzKicker Cars
[email protected]
90 XR7-The Meth Addict-KB SC'd 5.0L DOHC Stroker
2004 Mustang GT-The Driver-Intake/Exhaust/3.73's
1995 F150 4x4-The Mud Toy-5.0L/4R70W/33's/Warn 8274 Winch
94 LX w/Splitport 3.8L from 2000 Mustang - SOLD
2 - 90 35th Anny Ed SC's
And a TON of parts cars!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2003, 06:03 AM
Formula 1 Freak

That's cool. It will also continue to improve over time. It should sound "it's best" after about a month or so, then it should level off. I know mine sound like 10 times better than it did when it was first installed. Check out the pics of this exhaust (click on the links on that page) It's George Davenport's. I think this was before he put in the Borla "resonator." It's one BAAAAAAAAD SC though!

-Jeff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in