Camshaft Position Sensor - HELP! - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-15-2003, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Bacondoggy
Exclamation Camshaft Position Sensor - HELP!

ok I know how to remove and install one, but how accurate does it have to be?? I mean if your timing is off between the crank and cam that can't be good. This is the last main thing keeping me from actually starting the baby... (also the fact that I got all excited and put all the parts back together and now realized I can't get to the tamperproof torx bolt - thanks supercharger) and I don't feel like taking the wiring harness plugs etc all back apart to get to the bolt (any suggestions?) but the main question is I am assuming that if the CAM sensor is off even a few degrees it could cause engine damage. So how do you adjust the sensor back to exactlly where it needs to be??? I doubt even ford would know exactlly how to because they are set from factory and there is a "caution - non adjustable" on the top. Grrrr... when will this madness end?

91 sc - put the stockgears back on, underdrive pullyes, rear air hydraulics, headers, no cats or resonator, lowered 1 1/2", 10% pulley, cam, 70k, rebuilt engine bored .30 over, finally fixed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-17-2003, 10:13 PM

If it will start I can't see any damage while you check the timing. Just don't drive it if its out of spec.

If you think the cam timing's off, turn it over carefully by hand in the right direction to check for valve interference. Do this first.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2003, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Bacondoggy
no the mechanical timing is fine - I need to have the sensor being set correctlly - there will be no mechanical interference though...

91 sc - put the stockgears back on, underdrive pullyes, rear air hydraulics, headers, no cats or resonator, lowered 1 1/2", 10% pulley, cam, 70k, rebuilt engine bored .30 over, finally fixed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2003, 09:15 PM

If you only took the black sensor top off, that will not affect your timing.
Maybe your crank sensor is bad, to check it, try to start and watch the lower part of the tach or speedo (can't remember which) for a yellow up-shift arrow. If the crank sensor is bad, the up-shift light will stay on, if its good, it will just flash when you first turn the key. With a bad Cam sensor, the car should start 1 in 3 or 4 tries. What orther work did you do to the car? Good luck
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-23-2003, 08:17 PM

Upshift light is at the bottom of the tach on the left side.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in