2Likes
  • 1 Post By Rayo
  • 1 Post By KEVIN8989

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2016, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Garage
Rough idle and high temp

I just got my car smogged monday and the next day I drove it 5 miles and I noticed that the temp gauge went up to 3/4. I tried starting it 20 mins later and it had a rough idle. I started it 2 1/2 hrs later and drove it for 5 mins. Im not sure what the problem is but here are some pics maybe someone can help me out.

I think there may be deteriorating rubber in the coolant, I had that problem in my 89 base. Ill change the coolant and the fuel filter soon and clean out the reservoir soon. I think the thermostat may need to be changed. The rust in the valve cover where the oil goes in may be from condensation, I don't know. Thanks for everyones help.

Last edited by KEVIN8989; 03-02-2016 at 02:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2016, 07:11 AM
̇

Garage
A rough idle after high temperatures or an overheat could mean there is coolant entering the combustion chamber..

Considering how notorious 3.8L are for blowing head gaskets..
You might as well rule that out by testing the coolant for any sign of combustion gases..

Napa sells a Leak Detector Kit that you can use to test the coolant for any signs of combustion gases..

Click Here-->>Leak Detector Kit

It's pretty easy to use, even if you've never used one before..
There's a few video demonstrations of people using the combustion gas Leak Detector Kits on YouTube as well..

That's just one way to test for a blown head gasket..That's if the gasket blew in that manner..

Check your oil level to make sure it does not rise..
If the head gasket blows in a manner where the coolant starts mixing with your oil, you can say goodbye to your bearings..

I hope it's not a blown head gasket, but you might as well try and rule that out..

Rayo..
CDsDontBurn likes this.

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there." George Harrison

Last edited by Rayo; 03-02-2016 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Garage
I bought that tester kit and the engine was good. I noticed when I turn on the AC the temp goes way down. Lately I haven't got any bad idle problems. Thanks for the tip rayo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2016, 07:27 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVIN8989 View Post
I noticed when I turn on the AC the temp goes way down.
Sounds like the fan is not working, other than when using the a/c. I would check the wiring/temp sensor/controller for the fan. It is not reading the temperature properly.

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 80k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 CVPI- Brenda's car - 76k miles
Previous Fords:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years, 220k miles
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years, 187k miles
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years, 206k miles
Old 03-03-2016, 12:36 PM
̇

Garage
Quote:
I bought that tester kit and the engine was good. I noticed when I turn on the AC the temp goes way down. Lately I haven't got any bad idle problems. Thanks for the tip rayo.
That's good..

In case you were wondering..

This is the ECT Coolant Temp Sender (for PCM)..

This is the Coolant Temp Sender for the Temperature Gauge..

Rayo..

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there." George Harrison
Old 03-04-2016, 03:20 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Garage
Thanks again, I'll get the ECT coolant temp sender later since it runs really cool now. But first I'll change the oil/filter, fuel filter and flush the coolant.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Garage
Hey everyone I found a switch under the dash that turns on a secondary fan, it helped out a little bit but it's starting to get hot out here so I need some ideas to get my temp down. My dad knows a electrician so maybe I can put in a lower thermistat and have him tune the computer to work with it. Let me know if anyone has any ideas, I really like my new bird and want to keep it going.

Tbird Bob likes this.

Last edited by KEVIN8989; 05-30-2016 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-30-2016, 02:52 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Hey everyone I found a switch under the dash that turns on a secondary fan, it helped out a little bit but it's starting to get hot out here so I need some ideas to get my temp down. My dad knows a electrician so maybe I can put in a lower thermistat and have him tune the computer to work with it. Let me know if anyone has any ideas, I really like my new bird and want to keep it going.
Thats the easy fix for the IRCM module failing relays inside - have him test the relays for the High speed and Low speed fans inside the module ( its behind the passenger headlight, sandwiched in front of the airbox ). You can de-solder the relays and install new ones.

Im assuming the auxilary fan is just for this purpose - I know a lot of SC guys who will hard wire a fan in. When you turn on the AC, it kicks the fan on automatically.

Id like to see this electrician who can tune the computer. Are you saying he has tuning software and the chip to reprogram your PCM ?? If you do put a lower temp thermostat in, it needs to be tuned into the PCM, dont do it unless you do both, but to be honest its not really going to help as much as re-programming the fan turn on temps .. I think the SC stock thermostat opens at 195, and the fans turn on at about 220. Even if its 100 degrees outside, thats still cooler than the 220 coolant temp, as long as your radiator is efficient ( no its too small ) and the cooling fans are working properly in high speed / low speed ( most important part ).

My SC runs just the same as you're describing, about 3/4 way up the gauge and then you hear the fan kick on, it drops down a bit and stays within that general area. Turning on the AC will lower it down to a little over half way mark. I dont think that your SC is really running too hot unless your gauge is going all the way to the red.
Old 05-30-2016, 03:12 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Best bet is get a new Radiator and replace the relays in the IRCM/CCRM. The relays are soldered to the board but not that difficult desolder, the OEM relays are attainable but I'd just run pig tails out to remote 40A relays and be done with it.

If all else fails get a bigger hammer!

93 SC Tbird
MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 40# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip (Tuned by Jerry),3/4" Raised Top, F52-TT TC, SilverFox AOD 550, SPT-R VB
96 1/2 XR7 Sold and Salvaged
93 5.0 Tbird
Old 05-30-2016, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Garage
Thanks for the help both of you. I've been driving it lately and its been running good, I guess I have been over paranoid of the engine blowing up from all the heat. The car definitely runs a lot cooler when its not hot outside, always 2/3 or 3/4 when its hot outside with a/c on. Ever other car I drove was always consistent on the temp unless it was low on coolant or a hose blew. I'll just keep up on maintenance till I save up for a bigger radiator.
Old 06-16-2016, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Garage
Right now my car is at my dads house getting some work done, getting o2 sensors replaced, spark plugs, water pump, mass air flow sensor, new supercharger oil, power steering pump and the radiator will be taken to a shop to be cleaned out. If anyone has any suggestions what else should be done.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Garage
My dad is still is working on my 92 SC, he just both upper control arms. My dad worked around the brake master cylinder and didn't have to remove it. On the passenger side the ac lines were in the way so some stuff had to be removed. I guess some plastic piece got broken and I don't know what its called. Does anyone know what it is?

Old 07-25-2016, 12:19 AM
5th Gear Poster

That black one on top of the accumulator? A/C Pressure switch.

1996 Thunderbird LX (4.6), previous daily driver

1995 Mustang GT (5.0), daily driver
1995 GMC C2500 (5.7), alternate daily driver
Old 07-25-2016, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Garage
Yes you are correct, thanks.
Old 09-03-2016, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Garage
My car is almost finished. The temp sensor was changed but the fan won't turn on unless AC is on still. My dad found the controller for the fan. So hopefully after this my problem will be gone.

I had to add new Freon because the upper control arm had to get replaced and the AC lines were in the way.

Last edited by KEVIN8989; 09-03-2016 at 01:49 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in