New project - '90 Super Coupe - TCCoA Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jruppert

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

New project - '90 Super Coupe

Hello everyone. This is my first Super Coupe and its a 1990. I picked it up yesterday for $175. Overall, the body isnt too bad. The driver side rocker panel is shot. The interior is in good condition. The car has 113k on it and its a 5 speed.

From what I understand from the previous owner, he bought to fix up and found he didnt have the time. I guess the owner before him had put in a high performance camshaft. The camshaft was not installed properly and it came out. So you can imagine what might have happened. I purchased the car with the engine already torn apart. I found some goodies in the trunk. I found 1.7 Scorpion Roller Rockers, Comp Cams hardened pushrods, BBK 70 mm throttle body, some sort of aftermarket mass air, I found a super chips setup on the computer, it has a short throw shifter, and supposively a stage 2 clutch. The hard part will be putting this thing back together. I have thought out two different game plans. 1, being to repair what is needed and assemble, 2 would be do buy a new engine. I have yet to remove the heads so I have no clue what the valves look like. The camshaft is obviously boogered up. I am not seeing any damaged lifters though. So we shall see. Overall.. I am happy with the purchase. I only paid $175 for this thing so how can you go wrong??

Woodman likes this.

Last edited by jruppert; 07-09-2016 at 05:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

This is the camshaft. I actually have two of them. Not sure if the one is a stock cam. The first camshaft is the damaged one. This one is a custom cam. Not sure on the manufacturer but it has specs stamped on the end.

Then the other cam. Nothing wrong with it. But here is the ID.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 12:54 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

With you having a 90 need to also be concerned about the ABS, and Ignition systems.

If it were me I'd just rebuild/repair the engine. Else you need a SC long block, or 4.2 block and crank with new forged rods, or a 01+ block with SC rotating assembly.

Depending on your goals need to make decision about the blower/plenum. Need to see what kind of work has been done to the heads. Personally I wouldn't do a new cam and rockers with out going to bigger valves, but you just need to see what was done.

If all else fails get a bigger hammer!

93 SC Tbird
MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 40# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip (Tuned by Jerry),3/4" Raised Top, F52-TT TC, SilverFox AOD 550, SPT-R VB
96 1/2 XR7 Sold and Salvaged
93 5.0 Tbird
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowez View Post
With you having a 90 need to also be concerned about the ABS, and Ignition systems.

If it were me I'd just rebuild/repair the engine. Else you need a SC long block, or 4.2 block and crank with new forged rods, or a 01+ block with SC rotating assembly.

Depending on your goals need to make decision about the blower/plenum. Need to see what kind of work has been done to the heads. Personally I wouldn't do a new cam and rockers with out going to bigger valves, but you just need to see what was done.
Good point.. I have no clue on the heads. The guy that I bought it from told me that he thought the guy had the exhaust ported and polished. I have yet to pull the heads. I was going through the trunk and inventorying what I have. I will need new lifters. The ones that I have are either chewed up or missing the lower end.

I will also need at least 1 retainer for the lifters. Does anyone know if the 5.0 roller lifters are the same? I have a set but not with me at the moment. To me, they look identical. The retainer pieces are different though. Perhaps someone on here might have 1 retainer piece.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 04:00 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I might have one but you would have better luck on SCCOA.

If all else fails get a bigger hammer!

93 SC Tbird
MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 40# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip (Tuned by Jerry),3/4" Raised Top, F52-TT TC, SilverFox AOD 550, SPT-R VB
96 1/2 XR7 Sold and Salvaged
93 5.0 Tbird
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 05:09 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
The 5.0 lifters are not the same, however the lifters are the same for all 3.8s and 4.2s, so they won't be hard to find. I would buy all new ones given the way that engine failed. I will also look in my stash of parts, I might have a lifter retainer for you.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

I ended up throwing the lifters away. There were only 2 or 3 that were any good. I'm rather curious on what the exhaust ports look like. I can't imagine someone putting a stage 2 clutch in with an aftermarket cam with tb and Mass air and not touch the heads. I have the second cam that is not damaged. I have no clue what kind it is. Not seeing a Ford part number stamped on it.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

I found massive amounts of decay under the car. Unfortunately I will need to part the car out. If anyone needs anything, just let me know. I will keep the engine and blower.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 10:51 PM
5th Gear Poster

Sorry to hear that, man. It's getting harder to find good 'Birds, especially here in the rust belt. At least the price was fair; looks like you can still come out on top, money-wise.

1996 Thunderbird LX (4.6), previous daily driver

1995 Mustang GT (5.0), daily driver
1995 GMC C2500 (5.7), alternate daily driver
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 06:03 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Post Parts Request!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruppert View Post
I found massive amounts of decay under the car. Unfortunately I will need to part the car out. If anyone needs anything, just let me know. I will keep the engine and blower.
Willing to part with the shifter handle? I definitely want it! Also, the clear corners and the d/s tail lamp.

Are the roller rockers any good? I'd be interested in those if they are. Possibly the BBK 70mm TB.

'91 Sport 5.0 HO - AOD - JBL Premium Sound w/ Kenwood eXcelon deck - Black Leather LX interior w/ Lux Light
- 17" Sport Edition Wheels wrapped in Michelin 225/50's - Custom Flowmaster exhaust - GT40 heads - Electric Fan - '92 Sport Bumper

Planned Mod's
-Cobra intake (upper/lower) / SC MAF/30#inj / Dual Exhaust/headers
-'99 CV/PI 4" Aluminum DS / MK8 Disc Rear/HS/LCA/11.5" Front Disc
-M5R2 5-Speed / 3.27 LS Diff / SC F/R seats
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 11:38 PM
1st Gear Poster

Yeah +1 on SCCOA. The folks over there will likely want parts. Those seats look decent...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in