1995 SC automatic ride control PROBLEM! ? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2003, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

1995 SC automatic ride control PROBLEM! ?

Well I did a search and didnt come across this.

I have a 95 SC with only 40K on it. Recently the "firm" ride comes on just after starting the car and stays on all the time. Is this due to a ECU malfunction or are the struts/shocks at fault? Is this a common problem? I would think so as I remember my 89 SC doing the same thing. I got rid of it without fixing the prob.

Any info appreciated.

Also. Whats they best place to get replacement struts and shcoks for the SC? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2003, 02:52 PM
4th Gear Poster

does the light stay consistently on, or does it blink a certain number of times?

1990 35th anniversary T-bird SC

1993 Mercury Cougar 3.8
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2003, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

It stays on. If the ride control switch is set on norm I can hear a "clicking" noise coming from the rear shocks. If I turn it on firm the noise goes away.

Its almost like the shocks are stuck in the firm position and the computer tries to turn them off but they wont.

So basically you have to ride around with the firm ride always on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2003, 11:21 PM
4th Gear Poster

hmm you should try asking the guys at sccoa.com, i know that when i got my SC the 2 front shocks were stuck in firm, so I just oiled them up a little, now the problems are gone. But, when they were stuck i cold hear more than one click from the back. It sounded like 3 consecutive clicks, now they just click once when I start the car.

1993 Mercury Cougar 3.8
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2003, 10:01 AM
Formula 1 Freak

It's a very common problem. Here's the fix. You should hear some clicking sounds when you turn the key to "on" without starting the car. Or the firm ride light will blink 1, 2, 3, or 4 times. Count the clicks, or blinks. I believe that the order goes from the driver's side rear, to the passenger's side rear, to the passenger's side front, to the driver's side front. In other words if you get 2 clicks it would be passenger's side rear. Now I could be wrong on the order, but it might not matter in this case. On my car, and most cases, it's the fronts that give the problem. So if you get 3-4 clicks, it's one of the fronts, and the fix is so simple, that you might as well do both, or even all four.
If you start with the fronts, here's what to do. Shut the key off, and go to the shock towers. Remove the black plastic cover, and you will see the ride control actuator. Squeeze the clips on the top to remove it. Look in the small cylindrical tube you have just exposed. Inside you will see a small blade like part. Make a mental not on it's position, relative to the underside of the actuator. Take some WD40 and spray a shot over, and around the small blade. Then take a pair of needle nose pliers and gently rotate the blade like a half turn right, and a half turn left. If it's the one that is giving the problem. the blade will not turn easily at first. DO NOT FORCE IT. If it won't turn at first, let the WD40 penetrate for 10-15 minutes, and try again until you can turn the blade back & forth so it turns easily. Try to get the blade back to where it was when you took the actuator off, and replace the actuator. This can be a pain, cause it has to be lined up perfectly for the actuator to be snapped back on.
So it can't hurt to do both fronts or all four. This should rectify the problem. If it does not, then it could be an actuator, but I've never seen anyone have to replace the actuator. If you have any questions, you can PM me.

BTW- Sometimes the problem can be cleared up by rocking the firm ride switch back & forth a few times also

Good Luck,
-Jeff

common sense...
so rare,
it's kind of like
a super power
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2003, 01:07 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Drive XR7
Just tried that tonight to the front shocks. The drivers side would release all kinds of fluid when I finally got the thing to move after spraying lots of WD40 in there... but it worked great!!

Thanks!!!!

Jason
2003 SVT Mustang Cobra #5364
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
1991 Mercury Cougar XR7 5.0L - SOLD!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2003, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

THANKS ALL! What did we do before the internet???????????
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2003, 01:12 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Drive XR7
This really should be in the tech articles... I'm sure many other people have the same problem.

Jason
2003 SVT Mustang Cobra #5364
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
1991 Mercury Cougar XR7 5.0L - SOLD!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2003, 06:53 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I looked through the TECH articles first as I knew it was a common problem. I had it on my 89SC and now it was showing up on the 95SC. I just didnt know what was causing it till now.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2003, 03:14 PM
4th Gear Poster

its in the 35th anniversary registry, theres ALOT of info there on the supercoupes.

1993 Mercury Cougar 3.8

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in