surging - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2003, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

surging

Wierd stuff started happening with my SC when driving back to MI from KY. The best way I can describe it is that it was surging while driving at a constant speed, kind of like run,die,run,dierun,die........ in about 1/2 second intervals, if that makes any sense. It would get worse if i accelerated but seemed to get better if I decelerated. I was able to decelerate and then slowly feather in the throtle a few times and then it would go back to normal for a hundred miles or so, then happen again. The first time it happened I thought I was losing my trans from the violent on/off cycling. But when I pulled over it was still surging while idling in park. A couple of times while this was happening, but not always,I lost the tach, then when the engine went back to normal the tach came back.
I replaced the DIS, but no improvement.

The check engine light never came on.

Has anyone ever had this happen?

Help,

Ian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2003, 07:51 PM

When you lost the tach did you get an upshift light? If so that could be your crank sensor on its way out. Other posibilties include vacume leaks, crank sensor, cam sensor, or computer. Or maybe a combination of things. Of course I could be completly wrong also, but I am sure that there are other people with some ideas too.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 09:03 AM

Lightbulb

The loss of the tach and the intermittent stuttering leads me to think that this is a failing cam sensor. Relatively cheap and easy fix (at least its easier than the crank sensor).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

No upshift light came on, that only comes on when I am doing 140+

I will try the cam sensor.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 07:32 PM
4th Gear Poster

did you test the alternator?

1990 35th anniversary T-bird SC

1993 Mercury Cougar 3.8
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

I did not test the alternator because there were no problems with charging or running any accessories. If it was the alternator not providing enough current to run the electonics then my battery would have run down and I would not be able to restart, right?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 07:58 PM
4th Gear Poster

i dunno, ive heard of and seen on alot of cars when the alternator goes the guages hit the peg and back down just before they die, besides it couldnt hurt to get it tested, they usually do it free at pep boys, advance auto, and others. It could save you a AAA call.

1990 35th anniversary T-bird SC

1993 Mercury Cougar 3.8
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 10:15 PM
VA Chapter Director

Send a message via AIM to Jason Miller
I had a problem with my car surging when I would drive on the highway at a constant speed. Turned out to be the throttle position sensor. It was a cheap and easy fix.

Member MAMN12 Drag Racing team Best ET 12.44 @109mph
Click here to check out the Mid Atlantic chapter
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 05:47 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I thought about the TPS, but that wouldnt cuase a problem with the tach would it? Do you remember if your tach ever went out when the car was surging?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 09:57 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to Tim Groth Send a message via Yahoo to Tim Groth
When I rebuilt my top end after the headgaskets went I forgot to hook my TPS back up and well this sounds exsactly like what I had going on. Only difference being I had a check engline light that would come on. I've also replaced my Cam sensor for the check engine light still came on after the TPS fix and well it was almost like I was running on half power sometimes and then she would be back to normal....Seem like what you're experiencing?

Oh and when my car was at idle it would shake violently, like it was in a spin cycle...it was nuts. Anyways it turned out to be a combination of the two for me.

Another thing came to mind too...when I had this if I kicked it in hard it would surge like you mention. Still ran strong though for I beat a mustang GT when that **** was happening. Also made me think I had a loose plug wire but come to find out it was the Cam Sensor/TPS problem.

Hope I've helped somewhat. Both sensors are a combined $75 bucks at AutoZone if I remember right...I went ahead and replaced both since it was so cheap. Oh and they are both in a P.I.T.A. location too!

-Tim

Current Collection
1994 Thunderbird SC - Auto

1994 Thunderbird SC - 5spd
1995 Thunderbird SC - Auto
1997 LX - Auto - Parts Car

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in