95 SC Fan Wiring - TCCoA Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By dDUBb

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Garage
95 SC Fan Wiring

Currently (other then the imtercooler fan) the main push and pull fans don't always come on until the temp gauge is almost to the red. (unless the AC in on, they they are always on). Seems to test fine with the code tester. I read a post that says "ground the Orange/Green wire" to have pusher fan run with the key on. Where is this wire?? I see no orange/green ether at the relay on the fender or on the IRCM.

95 Thunder Bird SC Auto Daily Driver Work in Progress, with every factory option original owner could check.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 10:17 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Orange / Light Green wire is Left Front Door Speaker (+)

The relay on the fender near the clutch fluid reservoir is for the Pusher fan ( In front of the A/C Condenser )

Low speed Pull fan is controlled by grounding the Tan/Orange wire at the IRCM .. the High speed is Light Green / Purple - but you don't want to jump into high speed until after you've initiated low speed operation or the fan motor might burn up if you are trying to manually control the fan operation.

On my SC the Low Speed cooling fan comes on around the L in NORMAL and stays on until the temp needle goes back to the M.

Last edited by dDUBb; 06-01-2018 at 02:39 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Garage
Sensor

On a lunch break, I pulled the temp sensor wire and the fan came on. (With A/C off). I'll replace that sensor first sense it's cheap and easy before I start playing with the fan module as the fans seem to be at least functional

95 Thunder Bird SC Auto Daily Driver Work in Progress, with every factory option original owner could check.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 02:03 PM
Kind of slapped together

Do you have any way to monitor the data stream? It could be that the gauge is reading a bit high; also, the ECT may be reading low; plus, you may just be overly anxious.

This may be a good time to upgrade to a QuarterHorse and use its monitoring functions to see how hot the ECU thinks it is; and then shoot the thermostat housing and see how hot it is (use a non-contact thermometer).

RwP

Fuelly
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 02:31 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
That's a failsafe built into the PCM to turn the fan on if it doesn't know what the engine coolant temperature is.

You would need a datalog to determine what temperature the PCM is actually seeing, and an external temperature gauge to monitor actual coolant temperature to see if the sensor itself is giving a false reading .. so I will assume that your PCM is operating correctly, just that you dont know what the actual coolant temperature is.

The gauge on the dash is NOT connected to the PCM, the PCM does not know what this gauge reads - its more or less a "dummy gauge" . The sending unit for this gauge should be between 7.4 ohms Cold and 9.4 ohms HOT … anywhere outside of this specification will change the reading on your dash - same with the dash gauge itself, it may or may not be calibrated exactly the same as it was when it was brand new. What im getting at is that just because your Gauge appears to read high, doesn't necessarily mean its giving you a true indication of when the fans are actually coming on - the fact that they turn on and turn off ( as in its bringing the coolant temp back down ) and if your engine isn't overheating into the red, id think it was completely normal.

Radiator fan Low speed turns on at 222F, Off at 214F

High speed fan turns on at 228F and off at 220F
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Garage
I have 2 temp sensors, one for the gauge and one for the compute disconnect the computer one and I get a check engine light and the fans come on. Going to replace the 15$ sensor tonight along with the super charger oil that came in from amazon today. 15$ is probably cheaper then a data logger

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Garage
I may even get really fancy and swap the old PCM temp sensor into the gauge temp sensor just for fun and see if it makes a difference on the gauge/idiot light
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Garage
new SC oil looked clear as water, old stuff wasn't low and had no visible metal but was dark as mud. will probably let the new stuff run awhile and change again just to get it cleaned out more. the new sensor is in and the fan did kick on low, what I perceived was a little high on the gauge, but without real temps at the moment who knows. brought the gauge back to the middle and shut off. as far as I can tell is working as designed

might have to order some pillar gauges after im done with the exhaust just for fun
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oil.jpg (515.0 KB, 2 views)

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 08:20 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nckhammond View Post
I may even get really fancy and swap the old PCM temp sensor into the gauge temp sensor just for fun and see if it makes a difference on the gauge/idiot light
I have obviously wasted my time on this thread ...
Grog6 likes this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Garage
Acruelly you kept me from cutting into the wiring harness and forcing the fans to.run on key on, so that's a plus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in