90 Super Coupe ABS - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

90 Super Coupe ABS

Now that the car runs like a champ, I have this issue that makes the car completely undriveable. The Teves Mrk II system does not work. And I am at a total lose for what to do, where to send it, or if there is a conversion kit that will work with the low vacuum from the super charger. Issue is the pedal is very stiff, and there is a leak running down the fire wall. I have already removed it form the car, easier then expected. But I am ready to have this car back on the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 09:35 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
There are a number of options. A good used teves unit would be the easiest option, as it will bolt right in. If you want it rebuilt, a1 cardone rebuilds them, but I donít know how much or what the turnaround time is. A vacuum conversion is the cheapest way out, by using a non-abs 89-92 Tbird booster and a crown Vic master cylinder, but I forget what year crown Vic you need one for. The vacuum setup will work just fine with the supercharger, but that conversion will eliminate the abs. Another option is a hydroboost setup, which will also eliminate abs, but will maintain a similar brake feel to the original teves setup. The last option, if losing abs is not acceptable, would be to convert everything over to the 93-97 abs setup, which uses a conventional vacuum booster, with a separate abs unit mounted behind the front of the left fender, but that option would require basically running all new brake lines, and all new wiring for the abs computer.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 10:11 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
A 93-97 setup mounts totally differently, the firewall stamping was revised for 93 and the boosters mount differently, with a different hole pattern. The most direct way to convert to a conventional booster and have ABS on a 89-92 is a solution I donít think anyone has done, and that would be to use a 94-98 Mustang setup. Itís three channel like Teves II so you wouldnít have to completely redo the lines, and works without a reservoir return line like the 93-97s Teves IV system uses. Wiring would still be a bear though, and neither system really isnít worth the effort.

The Crown Vic master works but youíll need a proportioning valve from one as well in order for the lines to work, and itís a junkyard only item that is getting harder to find. Instead the 4 port A1cardone master cylinder WITHOUT proportioning valves for a 89-92 Tbird on rockauto will plug and play with the stock lines after some careful rerouting, and just plug the fourth port.

-Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

I would like to keep the car as original as possible. But how hard would it be to have the Teves II rebuilt? and where would I send it?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in