Relationship between air dam and cooling? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-16-2003, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Relationship between air dam and cooling?

I took my 1990 SC out on the highway yesterday for the first time since I bought it about two weeks ago.

I noticed that the faster I go, the hotter the engine runs. When I slow down, the engine cools down. (At idle, even after a half hour, the temp. guage shows right in the center of NORM.)

The car was lowered 1.5" - and the bottom of the bumper cover along with the air dam is broken off. It probably ripped off when the car was run over a curb.

Anyway, a friend said that with no air dam (the four or five inch deal that goes straight down from the bottom of the bumper cover) there's no enough air going up to the radiator at road speeds to keep the engine cool.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Eddie D

1990 SC
1997 LX 4.6 with sports suspension package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-16-2003, 02:24 PM

My 90SC 5 speed was missing the air dam when I bought it. New radiator and fan motor, driving on the Hwy, temp would make it to M and a past M. After installing air dam, temp stays around "NO" when driving and only starts to rise when in traffic. "NO" is about when the 195 thermostat opens and "RM" is approx when the fan comes on 220.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in