Dead SC - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-19-2003, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Dead SC

Over a period of about a month, my SC went from having little spats of the engine running very rough, then clearing up again. I checked fuel pressure, changed the filter, but it would come back again. Sometimes it would run so bad that it would die. Sometimes it would go 5 days without missing. I replaced the ingition module on top of the AC unit, and the cam sensor. It finally died and will not restart. I checked the ingition at the plugs and it has not fire at all. I am working on replacing the crank sensor now. Does anyone have any other thoughts or experience on a problem like this? Thanks for any help

Richard Litton
89 SC
92 Sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-21-2003, 12:48 PM

When you try to start, is there a constant yellow upshift light on the bottom of the tach? If so, then you are right, you need to swap the Crank Sensor and check the bolt on the balancer to make sure the head is still there. When you change it, be sure to have a new oil filter handy b/c you have to remove it. You also need a 5.5mm box end wrench. Do not remove the balancer to change the sensor, just take your time doing it the slow way. Good luck
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-21-2003, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, there is a constant upshift light when I crank it. I also felt inside the balancer and I am not sure that I have a bolt head left. I am picking up a mechanics mirror today to see in a little better. Thanks for the help.

Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Turns out my bolt was broken off, and the balancer had moved around some and needs to be replaced. It is never anything simple for me..lol. Since it was mentioned to check the bolt head, is this a common problem with the SC? Anyway, I hope to have it back on the road soon. I miss rowing though the gears with some nice torque.

Rich
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 03:32 PM

This is very common with SC's. I have broken three stock balancers on my '92 over the years. Finally replaced the last stocker with a BHJ steel balancer. If you are planning to tackle this job yourself, let me know. I can give you some (hard learned) pointers. It's really not that bad if you are moderately handy with tools. But, if changing plugs and wires is beyond your abilities, find someone to do it for you. It will give you the opportunity to get "up close and familiar" with the front cover of the SC engine, not to mention all the accessories, brackets, etc. It is a great time to think about replacing engine mounts, upgrading to some underdrive pulleys, etc. (I just have a habit of turning engine problems into opportunities for increased performance.)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in