TCCoA Forums banner

Rebuilding---cylinder cleanup & valve inserts questions

546 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  blkSC 
#1 ·
I am getting ready to rebuild a SuperCoupe (91). If this works I have another (92). I have done numerous engines before and have some experience. After tears and screaming with my first look at a 3.8 head ports, I had to stop in order to talk to the Machine shop. Because of apparent neck-down at seat insert (ex) I want larger exaust valve --1.54 or 1.6. Machinest tells me that he cannot do 3 angle (minimum) job with larger valves without larger inserts which is more labor intensive. Anyone know differently??
Also, 1 cylinder concerns me---previous owner apparently ran for some time with water leak. Luckily head surface has not suffered--damn luckey. Pitting in lower wall may not clean-up. Any sucess at all with replacement liners, given cylinder pressures. Minor mods planned, first is exaust and head work. I tried searches but could not find these specifics. Thanks for any help. Amazing amount of help of some other subjects---paint for example! :confused: :)

#2 ·
Soounds about right. If you go with bigger valves you should replace the seats too. Linners are probably stronger than the block itself. I would just make sure the person doing it knows what there doing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.