Rebuilt Engine - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Rebuilt Engine

I'm new here and just purchased a 89' Thunderbird SC with 200k miles on it. She still runs like a champ, but the inevitable (sp?) is comming. I want to do either an engine rebuild or get a new 3.8SC V6. I'm just trying to figure out what kind of price I can expect to pay for either of my options and what option would be the best choice? This wont be for awhile as I have no money, but it will be my first major priority with the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 11:29 AM
Trumpeter Extraordinaire

Why not search the web for ideas? Places like www.jasperengines.com is a place to start. Try a search on www.google.com, type in rebuilt engine, and see what comes up. A lot of links to sort though, of course, but try it out.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-21-2003, 12:50 AM

I have a 1990 cougar xr7 sc 5-speed with over 200K on it. My advice is to not push it too hard until you can afford to do a engine rebuild or swap. The head gaskets are known to blow with a car with that many miles. Mine did.

I changed the head gasket and it cost me around $600 but I did almost all the work. ( i left the milling of the heads and the valve work to a local shop)
I did not do anything to the block. (i wish i had the time to but its my everyday
driver)
If i remember correctly shops were quoting me around $2000 to just change the
head gasket.

Good Luck

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 06:31 PM
Geek w/Gearhead Complex

jasper makes awesome replacements for the SCs. Friend of mine blew his (under warranty!) when he bought it off a lot and got a jasper put in. well build engine all around and they don't use cheap stuff.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2003, 04:47 PM
Veteran Poster

If you can do most of the work yourself ...... (remove and reinstall the engine and trans), you can get all of your gaskets and replacment parts for about 800.00.

But if you need machine work, you can usually add up to $1000.00 for the block and about $350.00 for each head. If you want to go with some performance goodies you can drop a bunch more than that .......

As mentioned above, these cars like to blow head gaskets. (On the average it's around 120k-150k). Make sure your coolant is always fresh and that you keep the oil changed. Also, make sure the supercharger is full of SC oil. Every time we get a new member in our club I tell them to check it, and it's always about 4 oz low. (It only holds about 8 oz).

Michael Albee - President - Super Coupe Club Of IOWA

Titanium 1991 SC - Auto
13.265 @ 102.63 mph

Stock Crank, Stock M90, and Stock SC Top .... Everything Else .... Ah, Not So Much!!!!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 11:59 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to rzimmerl
priced a rebuilt through jasper was 2200 i think for a long block without the core return, just to see how much it was

1990 SC AOD 1.7L AR....11.75 @118
441 RWHP 435 RWTQ
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 01:11 AM
VA Chapter Director

Send a message via AIM to Jason Miller
I've hear good things about Jasper engines but a friend of mine got an engine from them for his 90 sc and they sent an engine for a regualar 3.8 That motor only lasted about 500 miles before it blew. I think they got it right the second time but what alot of extra trouble it caused.

Member MAMN12 Drag Racing team Best ET 12.44 @109mph
Click here to check out the Mid Atlantic chapter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in