Electical problems - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Electical problems

Well, I searched for a while to find my particular problem and found some hints to what it might be. Maybe someone here can help me out a little more. I have a 92 SC that has a problem with the dash lights, subwoofer, and fog lamps. I just purchased the car from my dad and he had it worked on several times. From what I can gather, the headlight switch had a recall on it which has been done. The rheostat on the headlight switch melts where the contact is made but sometimes it takes several hours or just several minutes. Once this happens the fuse blows for the dash lights. The switch has been replaced about 3 or 4 times already. The fog lamps have never worked since my dad bought the car 2 years ago. Then on my way down here to AZ from WY 2 weeks ago, the subwoofer in the JBL sound system quit working. I can hear a little pop noise when first turning on the radio but that is all. I pulled both amps out of the rear package tray and looked them over as well as the wires and connectors, but couldn't find any problems there. Might this all be related to one problem or is each one separate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Well, a little revision to my problem. I just found out the fog lights work, at least the driver's side one, probably a burned bulb on the passenger's side. One question about them though, do they only work when the headlights are turned on or should they work when the parking lights are on as well? I don't have an owner's manual at present and I would imagine that would tell me. Anyway, if anyone has any ideas I sure would appreciate them.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 12:18 AM
4th Gear Poster

Is this an aftermarket Fog lamp or is Ford option? If its a Ford Fog lamp system then it has a switch just behind the shifter, is this what you have? Fog lamps should come on only with the Head lamp switch is pulled all the way out and your Head lamp dimmer is in Low if its a Ford fog lamp system.

You mentioned "From what I can gather, the headlight switch had a recall on it
which has been done. The rheostat on the headlight switch melts where the
contact is made but sometimes it takes several hours or just several minutes. Once
this happens the fuse blows for the dash lights."

Check to see that your subwoofer is not HOT wired to the 5 amp INST PNL fuse and/or that its not sharing the same ground as your instrument cluster, this might cause some of the problems you describe.

Double click on the link below and refer to the diagram for the instrument cluster ground G200 (G100 for earlier models)
http://members.tccoa.com/tbird3/SECJUBLG200LOC.jpg
Hope this helps
Chris.....................

Last edited by ChrisW01; 09-03-2003 at 12:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 02:43 AM

You're better off fixing but not using those fog light b/c thats part of the problem with our lights. They over heat and melt the light switch, multifunction switch, and the harness b/c the power from all of the light go through there and overloads the system. Most notice the lights blinking or going out especially on long night drives. I think Crutchfields sells a harness that uses a relay to keep all of the power from coming into the dash switches. Good luck
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the leads. I found out the fog lights was just a bad bulb. I will hopefully get some time to get started on the other problems this weekend. BTW, the fog lights are the factory units and that is really annoying that they only work when the headlights are on. Oh well, can't have everything I want.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 10:42 PM
4th Gear Poster

Glad to hear it. Did you check to see if the subwoofer is not HOT wired to the 5 amp INST PNL fuse? You mentioned that fuse blowing all the time?

Chris............
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

I don't think it is hot wired into that 5 amp fuse since it was blown before I bought the car and the subwoofer quit working on my drive home from WY. I took the trim pieces out tonight and saw a couple bad wires leading into the headlight switch. One wire has TWO butt connectors in the span of about 2 inches. It's looking like a nightmare in there the more I see. Hopefully I can get it all figured out soon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in