Brake line rusted - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-06-2003, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Brake line rusted

Hello, all...noob here...

I have a '94 SC w/automatic that has been off the road for about a year. Now I find the right rear brake line has rusted through somewhere above the axle. Can anyone offer any replacement tips, do's, don'ts, etc. I've spliced brake lines before, but this one is a little different than I'm used to, due to the fact that it's a separate line all the way forward (because of the traction control?). I was hoping to splice it someplace where it's easy to work on and replace from there back.

Couple of questions: What size brake line is this, it looks very small? My Chiltons manual says I need a special adaptor that plugs into the ABS module to bleed the rear brakes on this car...do I REALLY need it, or is there a work-around?

Any and all advice will be appreciated.

Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 12:11 AM

I thought these brake lines were stainless steel? Oh well.

? My Chiltons manual says I need a special adaptor that plugs into the ABS module to bleed the rear brakes on this car...do I REALLY need it, or is there a work-around

Unfortunately yes. I currently have some air in my lines which every local shop except Ford has either tried to bleed w/o success or said I needed a special part to bleed it with. Over at the SCCOA I found the part can be had off eBay for about 40 $s, but I never looked it up. Apparently air will be locked in the Hydralic control unit w/o this.

Without the tool, it seems only a dealership will bleed the system. If you have them do it, ask them about the special procedure needed to do this, and familiarize yourself with it to be sure they are correct. I imagine it would be on the order of 80 dollars for a bleed. Better to buy the reuseable tool IMO.

Hope that helps at least a little..
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, chaos...

If I understand your reply correctly, you have the same issue, but the car is still driveable? I just want to replace the rusted line to make the car driveable so I can sell it...if it needs the dealer to bleed it properly, I don't mind having them do that...as long as I can GET it there...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in