What doesn't come with a Ford crate Short Block? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2003, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

Question What doesn't come with a Ford crate Long (was short)Block?

Well talked with Kurt Sunday and I sadly just don't have the time to have the bird down till it is built up the way it could be. Great guy and I will owe him a LOT of beer for helping me.

So I decided to go with a Long (was short) block from Ford, with whatever I can sprinkle in on top. New mass air, throttle body, raised top.... I already have the headers, I need new injectors anyway so i think I will get 38# to replace the 1991's 30#.
But....

What else will I need to replace?

What comes on a Ford Crate Long (was short) block?

More importantly, What doesn't come on the Long (was short) block?
will I need a new oil pump (probably)?
Will I need all new sensors?
Will I need a new harmonic balancer?
Will I need a new water pump?
Should I replace all the things I listed anyway?
Did I miss anything?
etc, etc

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I'm stuck riding the motorcycle to work and am going to be freezing my *** off soon, so the more I know the quicker this transplant will go. The more I can order early to have ready the better too.

thanks
RichM
Las Cruces, NM USA

Last edited by RichM; 11-18-2003 at 12:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2003, 07:04 PM

I got the long block from Ford when I recently spun the #5 rod bearing. The short block is just that. All it includes is the rotating assembly (ie block, pistons, cam).

The long block gives you the short block plus fresh heads, and an oil pump. You'll need all your existing (or new if you choose): sensors, water pump, balancer. Word of wise, get a new balancer. The old ones are known to fail. I used my old one because I ran short of money to buy a new one. I'll be doing that in the spring with a few other things.

The other thing to look at is your clutch (if it's a 5spd), if it's worn.....replace it while you can. Re-surface the flywheel too.

Take lots of notes and pics (especially if you have a digital camera), and label everything that comes off/out of the car.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2003, 10:27 AM

You will need the oil pump, cylinder head dowels, timing cover dowels, bell housing to block dowels, water jacket screw in pipe plugs, and possibly a rear cam bore soft plug. You may need a oil filter adaptor fitting. Some short blocks come through fairly complete, others need just about everything. Reuse all your old sensors, except the 02 sensors. You can get them at just about any auto parts store, they are much cheaper than the Ford 02 sensors. You will need to specify the Bosch sensor. The Bosch has a large body, the cheap ones have a smaller body, about the dia of a pencil. The Bosch sensor is much more responsive than the others. Also, get a new harmonic balancer and water pump. I assume this is a S/C V6, be sure and specify a S/C short block, as I think there are some differences between the S/C and the N/A short blocke.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-18-2003, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Opps, I ment Long Block. But now I have another question.
With a new long block how do you balance the engine assembly without disassembling it?

All the information I can find on The TCCoA and SCCoA sites says that the SC's where balanced at the factory with the Flywheel and Harmonic Balancer/Pulley installed.

Is this just going to be a crap shoot as to engine balancing?

That doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

Does anyone know if Ford at least makes a ballpark guess about the balancing of this motor. The Factory manual is contradicotry in regards to the Flywheel. And it only says to install new balaning pins in the same positions if replacing the damper.

This is a lot shorter than the post I made over at the SCCoA site
SCCoA post

Rich

P.S. I cleaned up the inital post a little to represent a long block not a short block.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2003, 03:15 PM

what would you be paying for such a thing? ...curious
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2003, 03:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to JustinH
Alot of guys have been having troubles with the ford long blocks for the 3.8sc motor. Sure they are under warranty but how many times do you want to have to pull the motor out?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2003, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by 96Sprintz
what would you be paying for such a thing? ...curious
1600 + 1000 core
not great but not bad.

Quote:
Originally posted by JustinH
Sure they are under warranty but how many times do you want to have to pull the motor out?
My overriding question isn't how many time do I want to pull the motor but "How long can I ride my sport bike to work with a hurniated back and the temps dropping into the 20's", among other concerns. It's complicated and long and no one wants to hear it... least of all me.
I just have some unusual circumstances that I have to take into consideration. Please don't get me wrong, I would love to get the motor build by a specialized pro so it would be bulletproof and last another 190,000 miles. I just don't have time as a luxury.

Right now the make or break question that I have been asking everyone is "how do they balance the motor without a flywheel and balancer/pulley assembly?" No one at the dealership or the rebuilders (whom I have heard is www.fred-jones.com) wants to answer that question. I just get the "bolt everything up and it will be fine" answer. I don't personally don't think it is an unreasonable question to ask, and I beleive it is a valid question. well the search for information goes on.

RichM
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2003, 11:11 PM

Hey JustinH, what kind of problems are people having?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in