radio and rear brake ques - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-04-2003, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to rzimmerl
radio and rear brake ques

talked to the guy i bought my car from he said the radio just quit working but when they ran wire from the radio to the speakers they worked, does that mean the factory amp is fried?

car was sitting for about 8 months now and the rear brakes arent working and niether does the e-brake the boots on the calipers were torn and the pins are rusted hoping new calipers will solve my problem or is it somthin worse?

1990 SC AOD 1.7L AR....11.75 @118
441 RWHP 435 RWTQ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 08:15 AM

Quote:
talked to the guy i bought my car from he said the radio just quit working but when they ran wire from the radio to the speakers they worked, does that mean the factory amp is fried?
Sounds like either the amp or the wiring between the radio and amp or the amp to the speakers. Sounds like your on the right track.
You can put a voltage meter (5vdc range) on the wires coming into the amp and out of the amp to see if you are getting a signal. If your getting a signal to the amp but not one out of the amp, then the amp is fried.
If you don't get a signal to the amp then it's the wiring to the amp.
If your getting a singal out then it's the wiring to the speakers... or the speakers themselves.
Hope this helps.

Quote:
car was sitting for about 8 months now and the rear brakes arent working and niether does the e-brake the boots on the calipers were torn and the pins are rusted hoping new calipers will solve my problem or is it somthin worse?
Since the e-brake uses a mechanical linkage to the caliper and the regular brakes are hydraulic (i.e. seperate actuation circuits) I would guess that the problem is a bad caliper or very badly glazed pads. It is unlikey that both systems would go out at the same time.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 06:54 PM

You can sometimes break brakes loose by pulling the car backwards SLOWLY. If you park a car and leave the E-brake on chances are that it will freeze up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to rzimmerl
took of rear tires last week with ebrake on they just kept spinning and when you pull it movin nothin happens. no brake dust on wheels and not getin warm. ordered new calipers and rotors man they are $$$$$$$$$

1990 SC AOD 1.7L AR....11.75 @118
441 RWHP 435 RWTQ
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 09:43 PM

rzimmerl, did you try the brake pedal and see if the brakes worked?

If so then I would think you have a broken e-brake cable.
If not then I would definatly think it was the caliper.

I don't recall what I payed for a rebuild caliper at Pep Boys (I will never go there again btw) but I didn't think it was over 70 bucks or so.

New rotors can be had for about 30 bucks each at the local Autozone/Checker/etc... if you want to swap them out every year since the cheap ones warp fast. I blame Ford for putting 10.8 inch rotors on a two ton car. But that's just my opinion.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in