starting fan more quickly - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2003, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

starting fan more quickly

Hi guys..

Exist any home-made form to make the fan start more quickly?
My tbird is starting the FAN when whe gauge mark on the M of NORM.
And my car isnt using a Termorstat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2003, 06:52 PM

I can't remember how to do it anymore but there is a way to hook the low speed fan up to a switch... Post in the sccoa tech forum and someone will surely have the info for ya...
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2003, 07:35 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

There's a way to force the low speed fan to come on with the key as well.......

And for some reason, I'm thinking that all it takes is pulling a fuse........

I'm sure there'd be some way to run an aux. power source to the fan as well with an inline switch....

-jw

MidwestThundercats.com
15.183 @ 91.19mph - 2.236 60' :: nothing but a tune and 103s
178.7RWHP :: 244.2RWTQ
Sold

Driving a Chevy, next is a Mustang.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2003, 08:41 PM

there is a electronic box infront of the airbox that has a bunch of wire going into it. Cutting the #14 wire (all the wires are numbered on that box)allows the low speed fan to run WHENEVER the key is on. You can splice in a switch to those wires also.
on the switch
ON=fan works like normal
OFF=lowspeed fan runs whenever the key is in the on/run posistion.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2003, 02:13 AM

There is another wire that you ground for the hihg speed fan to run, it may be #18, but I dont know for sure.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2003, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Right now i have wired the high-speed fan cable to a switch to start the fan on the high speed manually, but i want to do something more automatic..

So, exist three speed?

low, norm and high?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2003, 01:03 PM

No, it's 2 speed. Low and High. The switch is exactly what we are talking about. If you want something more automatic that would mean changing the settings in the EEC, meaning a chip. As long as its warm out, there isn't really anything wrong with letting the low speed fan run all the time, except for shorter fan life. Ten you could just switch it to hihg speed when needed.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2003, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

ummm.. if i put automatic the low speed fan when i start the engine, i'll need put a thermostat because im not using it!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-08-2003, 03:10 AM

Hello. Wiring a switch to the wires coming from the ICRM behind the passenger headlight is one way, though you must make certain that the high & low coil do not activate simultaneously.. at the same time.

You can also go to the auto parts store and find a seperate temperature control module. This inexpensive part will allow you to wire the fan completely independent of the cpu, and engauge it automatically at your preset temperature.

Finally, there is the option of buying an ECC tuner & changing the fan engaugement settings. I believe low speed comes on at 220 degrees & high speed at 227.

I assume you have an 1989-1993 SC, in which case you have 1 fan with 2 speeds.

As for your thermostat, I highly suggest installing a new Motorcraft or Robert shaw (from supercoupeperformance) into your housing. On these cars the lack of a thermostat can actually hurt cooling and damage the head gaskets, as it changes the flow of coolant. If you have leakage problems from the thermostat, your housing is prbly warped. Either replace it or use RTV silicon to seal it.

Hope that helps..
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-08-2003, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Can u recommend me any online shop to buy another temperature Control module to wire all independent ?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2003, 09:31 PM

Here is the way I did it and it works very well.

Remove the air box to get access to the IRCM.

Remove the IRCM and the plug. Each wire is numbered. Find the #14 wire and cut it about 1 1/2" from the plug.
Now take the 1 1/2" end and using a Tab connecter connect it to #17. The remaining end of #14 can be taped or left loose.

With this mod the fan will run in low speed any time the ignition is in the run position. The high speed fan will come on as normal.

To control the high speed fan U can use an other tab connecter to connect #17 to ground. Use a thermister switch available at Auto Zone or a toggle switch.

A word of caution failure the connect #14 to #17 will cause the fan to over heat and run slower in high speed. It takes a while but the fan motor will fail.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2003, 02:58 PM

One of the advantages of adding a EEC tuner or Chip to your car is that the fan may be started sooner. Not cheap if all you want to do is start the fan earlier. Also I have read where most get between 15-20 more RWHP with a chip added to a stock SC.

I have a Apten Chip in my car and it runs great.

check with Brian at Apten performance. He really does great work and takes great care of his customers.

http://www.apten-us.com/
post #13 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-04-2004, 08:48 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally posted by sevilla
Can u recommend me any online shop to buy another temperature Control module to wire all independent ?
Maybe your ECT is defective. To test this turn off the engine. You can check it by checking the resistance across the ECT:

Deg F -- KOhms
50 -- 58.75
68 -- 37.3
140 -- 7.7

You can also have a bad fan. In other words your low speed fan can have a short while your high-speed fan works just fine. Allowing only the high speed fan to operate. To test this turn off the engine. Unplug the fan connector and test the resistance for shorts. There are three wires to test. Check the inner wire to each outer wire separately on the fan motor. The resistance should be the same for both.

J.Miller
East Coast Rolling Thunder!!!!
Official Eastern and Central PA chapter of the SCCoA!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in