Quick ? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-24-2003, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Quick ?

My '94 SC has a problem that when you turn the steering wheel all the way to one side, it will GREATLY lower the RPM's, sometimes even kill the motor. A local shop guy said that when you turn the wheel all the way over, you send the computer a signal to crank up RPM's becasue your going into "Full Lock", and maybe my computers not getting that signal???? Thats what he said, any thoughts???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-24-2003, 10:11 PM

No clue sorry. Mine did that till I put in a new pump and then it went away. But if any one knows, maybe I can fix my mustang from doing it lol. Justin
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-24-2003, 10:42 PM

Does it do this when the car is just sitting and you turn the wheel, or does it happen when driving? Is it an automatic? Automatics had a problem where their transmission pans were too shallow and when you turn hard, the tranny would suck up air. Ford updated the pans in 96 to fix this problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-24-2003, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

Only happens when I'm just sitting there. It's an Automatic '94 SC w/ 120,xxx miles.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by HHHthegame
A local shop guy said that when you turn the wheel all the way over, you send the computer a signal to crank up RPM's becasue your going into "Full Lock"
Sounds to me like your "Expert" is blowing smoke up your A$$!!!!! Ask your "Expert" to show you the computer connection on the front steering. That should be worth a few laughs!!!!!

When the wheel steering wheel is at lock, your pwr. steering pump is producing the most pressure, & therefore will use up more hp from the engine. Since the pump is using more hp, it will tend to slow the idle somewhat. Power steering pumps have do that, at least as far back as 1968.

68COUGAR
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 01:29 PM

I don't know why it would die man.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 11:19 PM

My Owners Guide says not to hold the lock position for more than a 5 seconds or you can damage the pump. Good kuck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in