Mechanical Oil Pressure Gauge connection - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Mechanical Oil Pressure Gauge connection

Due to recent problems with my oil pressure, I am attempting to connect a mechanical oil pressure gauge from Napa to my stock sendor's port. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find any information about this up to this point.

First, I need to know how if anything must be removed out of the way so I can access the port and connect the coupling for my mechanical gauge.. The ACC bracket seems to be in the way, but I am not sure.

Next, if anyone has experience with dash-style aftermarket mechanical gauges, especially from Napa, I need to know what size couplings they include. Also, what size is the sender port on our cars?

Finally, once the gauge is installed, I must know when to take measurements. This includes at what RPMs, engine temp, and what oil pressure I should be seeing.

Any information you can provide me with regaurding these questions would be extremely helpful!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 01:30 PM

New Oil Pressure Sender

You'll have to change the oil pressure sender, to one that is compatible with your guage.

The OEM sender is only a 12V switch. No oil pressure = the switch is open. Oil Pressure = the switch is closed, & the OEM guage moves to "somewhere". So the OEM sender only supplys voltage/no voltage. It is not a variable signal.

There is a mod that you can do which will allow your OEM oil pressure guage to react like a regular guage. It involves changing the sender, and bypassing a resistor. However, this mod will NOT tell you how much oil pressure you have. It will only show when it varies.

68COUGAR
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-13-2004, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Does anyone happen to know the size of the opening in the side of the block which the long metal oil pressure sending tube installs into?

I may connect a mechanical gauge up to bypass the stock unit altogether, and avoid the steel tube if possible.

If nothing else, I might get an electrical sensor and fit it to the hole in the block rather than the steel tube..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in