Stripped out threads, boooooo - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to SC UL8R1990
Thumbs down Stripped out threads, boooooo

Ok heres the situation, im a moron and stripped out one of the threads on the top of my supercharger ( 1990 Supercoupe ). It is one of the bolt holes for the bolts that hold down the actual supercharger Top ( says 3.8 on it). Its supposed to be torqued about 15-18lbs .......so i think i can re thread it somehow but i dont know how.

someone recommended me to Heli-Coil {sp?} or something like that. Its a small kit that you buy to repair stripped threads. I need to know where i can find this kit or something similiar...thanks alot!!

thanks again
walter

-Walter

Big Bad Boston Bruins Fan!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 09:18 PM
4th Gear Poster

at most harware stores, lowes, home depot etc. You can get different sized taps, while it isnt really very good for making a complete new thread pattern it will bore the current one out a little better. I think they are made of hardened steel. If you break that thing in there you are gonna be fubared. They are relatively delicate. What you do with them is screw it in 3 turns screw it back out 2 turns. This will prevent alot of the friction.

1990 35th anniversary T-bird SC

1993 Mercury Cougar 3.8
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2004, 10:37 PM

That happened to an engine I worked on last summer. Take the bolt with you to the auto parts store so you will get the right size heli-coil set. You will need to remove the SC Top and upper IC tube all at once. Be safe and cover the open SC hole with an even layer duck tape so nothing can fall inside when you start to drill and clean metal shavings out of the hole. Be sure to drill the hole deep enough so the heli-coil will screw in below the surface. It is actually stronger than the original. Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2004, 09:28 AM
Veteran Poster

Lightbulb

I've got an easier solution. Convert your bolt to a stud and nut. JB weld it in. It will be plenty strong and you don't have to bye special tools.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2004, 04:34 PM

For what it's worth, the SC top bolts are 8X1.5mm. Get a helicoil kit with that size, and a... 21/64ths drill bit.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 06:15 AM
TCCoA Wheel Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to cudaz101
Without a doubt get a Heli-Coil kit and torque the **** out of them if ya want...

Brad

1990 & 1994 SC's
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 07:09 AM
6th Gear Poster

As someone mentioned, the heli-coils are somewhat delicate...that is the tang that drives the coil in is prone to breaking. Although, the screw in, screw out method is incorrect for the coil itself. This is proper for the tap. You must drill out the hole to the proper size for the tap included with the heli-coil kit. If you don't do this, the tap will not make correct threads. This specific size drill may be included with the kit, but if it's not, the size you are supposed to use is listed on the package. Do Not Substitute The Size! Buy the correct one. Make sure you start the tap straight, it takes some practice to get it in right. A tap wrench helps and you will certainly increase your risk of breaking the tap in the hole if you don't use one. A lot of people use an open end or adjustable wrench to drive the tap. I wouldn't recommend it.

Once you get the hole tapped, use the special tool to drive in the coil. Make sure it is flush or slightly below the surface. Then break out the drive tang in the bottom and viola! You are done.

I wouldn't use a stud and I certainly wouldn't use JB weld. Nothing more than jury rigging in my opinion. Plus it just plain looks bad.

Hope this helps...

Glen "RustyUL" Weldon

94 Thunderbird SC - 5 Speed -- Picture Here
1 of 722 1994 SC 5-speeds made.
Soilid Engine Mounts, B&M Ripper Shifter, Tokico Shocks
95 Thunderbird LX - 4.6
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 08:12 AM
Chief of Warranty Police

Send a message via AIM to LiquidCougar
I agree with Tony... my Craftsman tap set has gotten me out of a lot of binds. it's MUCH easier than replacing the bolt.

1990 XR7 3.8L SC - Still waiting for time and money to come together at the same time..
1991 Ford Ranger
2003 Ford Escape

It's an MN-12 thing... you wouldn't understand.

Cowboys still do ride horses. Only today it's not just one at a time.
It's 454, each one alive, penned in 8 cylinders. Eating asphalt. Kicking dust.
Screaming out loud, "Don't you dare stop for water."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in