Drivetrain vibration? SC guys help - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2004, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Drivetrain vibration? SC guys help

Hello, i am new to this SC drivetrain. I just purchaced a 95 SC auto with 64,000 miles on the clock and am experiencing a vibration.

As far as looking under the hood, I would be able to notice nothing. I first suspected the tires, but they are perfectly balanced. Then I thought may be the driveshaft, but it is so damn inconsistant.

Then I searched and found people are having problems with the harmonic balancers or vibration dampeners on these cars. So how can I narrow down my search for the problem? I noticed that the engine idles perfectly at the intended RPM, yet there is a shaking like a miss, or maybe I had a cam, or something.

The ideling vibration makes me thin that it may be the balancer. These things are damn expensive aftermarket or OEm, and I really dont have the 250-360 to replace it right now. Would it be ok to drive the car loke it is for a while? What kind of things can happen when it vibrates, and or gives?

Thanks for your help.

aaron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2004, 02:43 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to T-bird4vr
I don't know about the HB. Some else can post on that.

If there is a miss, I would check spark plugs and wires or just change them.
If there is a plug burnt you better do a compression check. Start with cylinder#3. It is the easiest to get at and probably the first one to go.

Julian

twin screw sc
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2004, 10:06 PM
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to BlownMerc
Well from experience I have had the same problem. The HB will crack and seperate from the crank shaft pulley. I drove mine for an estimated 20K before I pulled my motor (head gaskets and decided to go through it). It doesn't do any damage, but its so expensive because the entire pulley is one ballanced assembly. I paid $225 from Ford since my dad owns a shop, but list is about $280. The vibration is like you said and intermitant miss. At off idle I noticed nothing, but at idle I could feel it. Good luck. I would say if you plan to do it you might consider taking the motor out or having a good shop do it. The crank position sensor can be tricky to get properly installed so that it clears the HB that it takes the reading off of, also it uses a 5 or 6mm bolt to hold it on. I think doing it in the car would be rather agrivating and difficult. Good luck either way,
Brad

http://hpphoto.com/servlet/LinkPhoto...3f0024fa&size=

PS the wire hanging off the front of the motor is the Crank Position Sensor, if you follow it to its origin that is where the CP is located. Hope this helps.

2000 Camaro Z28 auto
SLP Airbox Lid
PaceSetter LT's
Custom Y pipe
3800 Vigilante Stall
Cam Motion 224/228 .585/.585 114
NX 100 wet
HP Tuners

Last edited by BlownMerc; 02-15-2004 at 10:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 12:23 AM

Check to see if your engine mounts are broken b/c they could cause a vibe.
Good luck
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 12:58 PM
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to BlownMerc
excelent point

2000 Camaro Z28 auto
SLP Airbox Lid
PaceSetter LT's
Custom Y pipe
3800 Vigilante Stall
Cam Motion 224/228 .585/.585 114
NX 100 wet
HP Tuners
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 10:20 PM

yes, check the engine mounts. you can see them best from underneath with a flashlight. they are almost impossible to see from the top. they will look collapsed and all crumbly if they are bad. trust me, they can cause many weird problems.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2004, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 96Sprintz
Hello, i am new to this SC drivetrain. I just purchaced a 95 SC auto with 64,000 miles on the clock and am experiencing a vibration.

As far as looking under the hood, I would be able to notice nothing. I first suspected the tires, but they are perfectly balanced. Then I thought may be the driveshaft, but it is so damn inconsistant.

Then I searched and found people are having problems with the harmonic balancers or vibration dampeners on these cars. So how can I narrow down my search for the problem? I noticed that the engine idles perfectly at the intended RPM, yet there is a shaking like a miss, or maybe I had a cam, or something.

The ideling vibration makes me thin that it may be the balancer. These things are damn expensive aftermarket or OEm, and I really dont have the 250-360 to replace it right now. Would it be ok to drive the car loke it is for a while? What kind of things can happen when it vibrates, and or gives?

Thanks for your help.

aaron
Aaron, Shoot me an email! I live in Slidell, I could drive over and have a look!

EMAIL ME

Calvin
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 08:04 AM

Must of the time you can also spot a bad ballancer by just looking at it as the engine is running at idle, and over idle. If the Ballancer is bad, most of the time you will notice it wobble.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in