Panic!!! - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2004, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

Panic!!!

Ok heres the deal,
My car has been sitting in the garage since October, I started my car today, after resealing the supercharger yesterday morning, and it started fine. I was going to take it for a drive, but i had to got to school for a little while, so i turned it off. I came back about 3 Hrs. later and it started fine again. I was backing it out of the garage and it killed. I went to start it and the battery was DEAD! We hooked up the booster pack and it started to turn over but the battery wasn't charged enough, so we let it charge for a couple minutes and then NOTHING!!!!! You can hear the Fuel Pump kick in, lights come on, but no noise from the engine. You can hear one click, turn the key off and back on then another click is heard. I went to Ford and they said sinces it just one click that its the starter? Any truth do you think? They said first to change the battery and try that cause it was sitting in the cold for 4 months w/o starting. Any help appreciated in this!! Austin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2004, 11:31 PM

That click is the soliniod. So it could be a couple of things. The starter, the battery doesn't have enough juice, or maybe a ground cable. THose would probably be the most common things to look at.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2004, 01:37 AM
3rd Gear Poster

just had a similar situation on my wife's mustang....check the negitive battery connection (I mean really check it). The stang has the same issues as yours. Make sure the negitive lead that goes from the battery to the starter (starter siliniode...not sure if it is located on fender well or on top of starter) is good and connected.

Ended up, for me, being a loose connection for the starter lead.

RBanks Design, Inc.
--providing quality CAD/mapping services for your needs--
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2004, 04:10 PM
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to BlownMerc
SOLIDOID IS LOCATED ON THE FENDER NEAR THE BATTERY. YOU CAN JUMP IT BY PUTTING A METAL SCREW DRIVER BETWEEN THE TWO POSTS AND TOUTHCING THE POSTS TOGETHER. IF THE CAR STARTS REPLACE THE SOLIDOID (CHEAP FROM NAPA). IF THE BATTERY HAS BEEN TESTED AND TESTS FINE, ITS THE STARTER. IF YOU HAVE SOMEONE HIT THE STARTER WITH A HAMMER (NOT TOO HARD) WHILE YOU CRANK IT, AND IT STARTS THEN REPLACE THE STARTER. FORDS HAVE TROUBLE WITH THE STARTERS HANGING UP ADN GOING BAD. ALL OF THESE HAPPENED TO MY MERCURY WHEN I HAD IT. BUT EVEN IF THE STARTER DOESN'T TURN OVER AND THEE BATTERY IS GOOD, I'D CHANGE THE STARTER FIRST. THEN HAVE YOUR CHARGING SYS. CHECKED BY A GOOD SHOP.

BRad

2000 Camaro Z28 auto
SLP Airbox Lid
PaceSetter LT's
Custom Y pipe
3800 Vigilante Stall
Cam Motion 224/228 .585/.585 114
NX 100 wet
HP Tuners
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2004, 04:44 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Question

BRad, what is the IAT mod? I know it means intake air temperature mod but how is it modded on a GTP?

1995 SC (five speed)
Best E.T. [email protected]
Best MPH [email protected]
Best 60' 1.7489

1994 SC (automatic) [email protected]
On a stock long block with bolt on's
Sweet SC, lower13's coming.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2004, 10:43 PM

After 4 months sitting, the battery has likely drained with just enough juice to crank it up a couple of times. It sounds like you didn't run it long after starting and the alternator didn't have enough time to charge the battery.

Your contacts may also need to be cleaned after sitting that long. Clean the battery connections and starter/solenoid contacts and get it on a charger for a while. When it starts again, let it run for a good long time without any electronics turned on.

The click is the solenoid, but it doesn't mean the solenoid is bad, it just isn't getting enough juice to the starter.

Beyond that, I'd bet on the battery.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Ok, thanks for the help. It was the battery! I replaced the battery and terminals and she runs good now. Thanks Again.
Now, I took her out for a mid-winter stretch and noticed a couple things.
First, everytime you put the car in reverse it almost dies, I MEAN IT'S CLOSE, what do you think is the issue? It does kill if you put it in Reverse when the wheels are turned...Any ideas?
Secondly, there is a definate "grinding" noise in the rear. I just had the bearings replaced <1 year ago, any thoughts? It seems to only do it when no gas is applied, like you take your foot off the gas while driving?
ANY HELP with the above issues is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks Again for the battery help!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 09:48 PM

I would start a new thread in the drivetrain forum. You'll probably get better help there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in