stuttering - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 02:45 AM Thread Starter

stuttering

hey guys so heres my prob: when i lay into it(usually from a stop), my car will get to aboutr 3500 rpm and then start to stutter. almost like it has a rev limiter. plugs, wires, and fuel filter are new. what do u think this could be. it really jerks the car pretty bad when it does this sometimes.

thanx devan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 10:22 AM

Change your plug wires.

Calvin
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

but i said i just changed them not long ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 02:29 PM

Its entirly possible to get a bad set of wires, its happend to a bunch of us. Although, what does your boost gauge do when you feel it "stutter"? If it pegs out, it's probably a restriction in your exhaust from something comming loose. Had that one hapen also.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

the boost guage stays normal. theres nothing clogging the exhaust cause its all fairly new.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 08:16 PM

I would guess wires then.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 11:44 PM

I would change out the plug wires again, then if that doesn't fix the problem. Then I would start looking at the DIS module. You could find a KNOWN working DIS, swap it out, and see if that works. Those would be the first two things I would start troubleshooting. Let us know what you find.

Any recent engine work, besides routine maintenance?

Calvin
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 01:51 AM Thread Starter

i have had a few minor things doen to the enginem, but this prob. was there before i had the work doen.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2004, 03:28 PM

Do you mean it sounds like detonation? If so, look for intake or PCV air leaks.
Do you have EGR? If so, check to see if the hose to the transducer is off or cracked.
Could your air bypass be sticking? Try spraying the butterfly area with WD40.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2004, 12:36 AM
4th Gear Poster

A crank sensor that is going bad or contaminated with coolant residue will cause this also.

Vernon

Current record holder for fewest posts by a Houston Area Thread regular! Vernon says, "We all do what we can."
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 01:27 AM Thread Starter

i just replaced the crank sensor so it shouldnt be that, and it was there before we replaced it. its definately not detonation, caus ethe car actually bucks under harder acceleration. where would i locate the egr and the air bypass? one thing i do know, the tube that i assume connects to the exhaust manifold, it has the flex tube mesh around it. its under the intake tubes at the back of the motor. it has a leak and u can hear it ticking somewhat.

thanx for any help guys
devan
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 07:56 AM

I found an easy way to check and see if it's the wires. This rewuires a car garage, as total darkness is almost necessary:

Run the car in your garage (notice, I didn't say "Run your car INTO your garage), pop the hood, and turn all the lights off. Garage, car, etc.

In that complete darkness, give your eyes a couple of minutes to adjust, then have a helper step bring up the RPMs. If you don't have a helper, then just rev the motor from the Throttle body. Either way, if you have bad wires, you will see a cool light show, and you will know which wire(s) is/are bad.

Then, contact Victor Malvar at [email protected] for a new pair of Magnecor wires. Shameless plug for Victor only because he's the best SC parts guy I've ever dealt with.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in