pulley question? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

pulley question?

it seems like the pulley that is on the driverside of the engine the one above the p/s pulley seems to be moving were it meets with the belt is this normal? does anyone no what pulley this is ? im thinking its a tensioner or something! it like moves laterally not the actuall place were it mounts to the engine the part that touches the belt it looks like its one piece!

someone help!

cliff

[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2004, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

it is the pulley right above the alternator! I SEE EVERYONE ELSE HAS GOTTEN SOME HELP I NO SOME ONE HAS TO NO WHATS THE PROBLEM! DOES ANYONE THINK I NEED A NEW PULLEY OR IS IT PUT ON WRONG OR SOMETHING!??
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2004, 02:48 PM
MaleWhore

Send a message via AIM to smokymance
i dont know where the SC pulleys are located, but if u have a pic i might help you, as well as someone else here would....is it making any noise??? is the belt getting abused by it?....

1997 MN12 Sport 4.6L Supercharged 5 Speed Sold
1998 Mark VIII LSC Teredor Red, Parts car, PM me
1998 Mark VIII LSC Pearl, Stock, Garage Queen
2000 Jeep XJ 4.0L Long Armed and Locked
2008 Yukon Denali 6.2L Supercharged
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2004, 06:47 PM

Which one are we talking about?

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 02:36 AM Thread Starter

93 sc yeah mwtc can help me! haha that rymed! its the pulley right above the alternator it has a plastic guide piece that bolts to the engine and at the end of that piece there is the pulley! it seems the pulley likes to bounce up a bit do you think i should just replace and get it over with ?!

cliff

tccoa member

midwestthundercats member

this is the sc i just bought i new it had this prob but im scared to drive it considering the belt could come off and there goes my engine and power steering!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 11:32 AM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to T-bird4vr
The tensioner is suspossed to move dude.

Julian

twin screw sc
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sprchrgd1
it is the pulley right above the alternator! I SEE EVERYONE ELSE HAS GOTTEN SOME HELP I NO SOME ONE HAS TO NO WHATS THE PROBLEM! DOES ANYONE THINK I NEED A NEW PULLEY OR IS IT PUT ON WRONG OR SOMETHING!??
Christ on a Cracker! I didn't get the memo that we had to answer people's questions AS SOON as they posted them, whether we're in front of a computer or not. Sometimes it takes a day or two.. or three before someone who knows the answer reads a post.

But to answer your impatient question, as T-bird4evr said, it's supposed to move. Hence the name "Tensioner". It keeps tension on the belts at all time, adjusting itself as the belt wears and stretches. Now, if it noves more than, oh, I don;t know, 2/8 to 3/8 of n inch, you might have a problem. It's REALLY hard to tell you that "Yes you need new pulleys" or "No, the ones on your car are just fine and dandy" without actually seeing the pulley move around.

I don't mean to sound like an A**, but before you get all uppity, you might wish to check the attitude at the door. People are more likely to help you if you don't bring the 'tude along.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 02:08 PM

Clif,

Remove the belt tension (18 MM wrench on pulley bolt and rotate clockwise) and try turning the pulley by hand, if it doesn't stick or bind it will be okay. It's normal for the pulley to bounce around a little.

If you do decide to replace the pulley, you can buy a set (3 ea.) of Billet Flow pulleys from Amazon Racing for about $160. Or you can get some plain jane Dayco replacement pulleys for much less at most auto parts stores.

David
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Neibert
Clif,

Remove the belt tension (18 MM wrench on pulley bolt and rotate clockwise) and try turning the pulley by hand, if it doesn't stick or bind it will be okay. It's normal for the pulley to bounce around a little.

If you do decide to replace the pulley, you can buy a set (3 ea.) of Billet Flow pulleys from Amazon Racing for about $160. Or you can get some plain jane Dayco replacement pulleys for much less at most auto parts stores.

David
which pulleys did you get from their website. I like the blue ones, what would I order them for?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 09:39 PM
PostWhore

Here's a link with all the info on the Billet Flow pulleys.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34723

David

1991 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple..........10.910 @ 125.61
2016 SRT Challenger Hellcat..................707HP/650TQ
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-21-2004, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

well thanks for all the replys this is my first sc and i want everything to be perfect!
i think ill upgrade the pulleys anyway so that i dont have to worry about my belt coming off sorry about the attitude but being its my first i dont no crap about the sc engine! it does move enough to make me worried hince the attitude that i didnt get a response !at first! but much thanks for the info oh yeah that sc pic looks f---- awesome! how much money is in that bad boy!?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-22-2004, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by sprchrgd1
how much money is in that bad boy!?
Over 45K, I believe, correct David?

Calvin
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-22-2004, 01:43 PM

Correct...and that doesn't include the cost of the car. However it would have been alot less if I would have established my performance goals in the beginning and stuck to it, instead of reaching the goal and then raising the bar several more times.

With what I've learned and the considerably lower cost of performance parts, I could duplicate the car for about $25K right now including the cost of the car.

David
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-22-2004, 02:37 PM

45k or 25k darn!!! and i tougth 5k in car cost +my simple mods + maintance was alot but if i had cash laying around ill dump em in the car and motor happily knowing i have 350+hp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in