time to do the HG - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

time to do the HG

hello all well im about to do a headgasket change so i was wondering if anyone could let me know what im in for i have not really work on this car to much but i will do the work but i want to do it right so if you guys could let me know as much as yu can about doing the job like tools i will need and little that i should know im also putting ported manifolds on with new downtubes can this be done by me with the motor in the caror what not? thanks for all your help steven
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2004, 06:15 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to T-bird4vr
Nothing too special, you can do it in the car but it may be faster just to pull the motor.

Check sccoa.com

Julian

twin screw sc
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2004, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

i did try there not to much help i guess i will just do it see what happends if anyone has any info thats great thanks alot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2004, 07:24 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Sleepy,I'm getting ready to do my HG's too.......once you get the blower/IC tubes/etc, out of the way it's basically a Ford V6 motor.......just a time consuming job because of having to remove all the stuff from the top of the motor.....suggest that you go ahead and use ARP head studs,they are worth the money.....while you are in there check everything out as this is not a job that you want to have to do again soon....you can do the manifolds w/ the motor in place it's just tight down there.As for tools.....only extra thing that you really need is a good torque wrench otherwise normal shadetree tools will work...be sure to check your heads to make sure they aren't warped/damaged and clean them well....check the springs,seats,etc. and make sure they don't need to be replaced....why not get the heads ported/polished since you have them off anyway and take advantage of the ported manifolds.Good luck,take your time,don't go cheap on parts,keep everything clean and you'll be ok.
Good Luck,
z

90s/c,MPII blower & plenum,CMRE Stg 1 heads/cam,3/4 raised top,85mm MP TB,42# injectors,85mm ProM MAFS,MP CAI,Kooks mids w/3" mid pipe & Magnaflows, AOD w/trans-go,trans-cooler,373's, SCT Chip tuned by Ed Clark,10% SC pulley,5% JS pulley,ASP u/d pullies,MP FMIC,AADCO 1 3/8" swaybars,clear corners,Eibach prokit.....BLOWN UP......ANYONE NEED PARTS........now have 2 MRK VIII's
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2004, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

thanks alot for your info i will get in to it i do plan on getting the heads done and someother little things but again thanks for your help.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2004, 01:58 AM
5th Gear Poster

How to remove the SC
http://www.mn12performance.com/mn12h...el/s-model.htm
Removing the windshield wipers and plastic window trim to get to the EGR if you have it will greatly help. That gets a big chuck off.

Then remove the IC and go to town on the left side removing accessories to get the lower ic tube off. That will be the hardest part probably. It is bolted down in two places around the Power steering pump. Then remove the IC manifold, put the fuel line to the side, remove lower intake, exhaust manifolds, tie compressor to the side of the engine bay and remove accessories on right side of motor, remove exhaust manifolds, valve covers, rockers, and finally the 8 headbolts on each head. You will need a good 1/2" breaker bar/socket for it. Install in reverse order.

If you get the ARP studs make sure to buy the 2.8L chevy kit for the right length, the washers will be a little smaller with them but you don't need to grind them down to clear the exhaust manifolds.

I removed my heads with just basic hand tools and time. (completly new to that degree of motor work and had no real problems) A pivot head socket wrench would have made things a lot easier. I would recommend buying one.

And make sure you rtv the thermostat to the housing before you install it if you remove that piece. It will leak otherwise.

Julian

twin screw sc
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2004, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

thanks for the info i was wondering if someone could tell the best place to get the gaskets from? thanks again for the help steven
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2004, 11:24 AM
5th Gear Poster

Steven,
I would just say get them from jeggs, you will want new lower intake gaskets as well. I bought the full engine set for my motor rebuild, I don't know if you can get a HG "set", but the HGs, and lower intake, should be the only new ones you need.

Julian

Julian

twin screw sc
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2004, 04:03 PM
Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by sleepy
thanks for the info i was wondering if someone could tell the best place to get the gaskets from? thanks again for the help steven
I suggest FelPro gaskets. They work well and are very reliable. If you are planning to do a lot of mods, i suggest you get the steel 4.2 gaskets.

Michael Albee - President - Super Coupe Club Of IOWA

Titanium 1991 SC - Auto
13.265 @ 102.63 mph

Stock Crank, Stock M90, and Stock SC Top .... Everything Else .... Ah, Not So Much!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in