exhaust leak? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

exhaust leak?

today i took my car to the shop they installed new 3.73 gears and new bearing into a mark viii alum housing. they also installed a 93 mark viii ds. driving homw was bad it was fine until about 35-40 when it would run rough so i pull over and see a bad exhaust leak coming from one of my duals about a foot from the upper cat. so would this be my problem it was also blowing smoke and would shutter at 35-40 when acelerating. the ds had new ujoints new yoke and balanced to 3500 rpms. could it be that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 05:40 PM
Faster than Porkchop

No codes ?

Did you change the extension housing seal ?

1997 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 Sport .

60'...... 2.06
1/8th .. 9.194
mph .... 77.13

mods*
PI heads *PI intake*Mark VIII torque converter*Cobra T-loc w\4.10's * Jmod*tranny fluid cooler*P&P stock T/B & plenum*UD pulleys* Dynotech 4in ds*80mm Lightning maf*Xcal2*02 GT intake tube.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

yeah all seals were changed i just got under the car there was oil about to drip off of the exhaust and both duals look like they were rained on by oil so could oil be getting onto the ds and spraying it everywhere
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 05:51 PM
Faster than Porkchop

Check the rear seal to see how the yoke sits .
Sounds like its leaking tranny fluid from the rear seal .
You might need to have the pinion angle checked or you might need to rotate
the ds .

Im going through some issues with my ds , it rubs on the frame .
http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=102803

1997 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 Sport .

60'...... 2.06
1/8th .. 9.194
mph .... 77.13

mods*
PI heads *PI intake*Mark VIII torque converter*Cobra T-loc w\4.10's * Jmod*tranny fluid cooler*P&P stock T/B & plenum*UD pulleys* Dynotech 4in ds*80mm Lightning maf*Xcal2*02 GT intake tube.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 10:07 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to driller
If it's not a rear seal, it's a cracked tailshaft housing.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 10:56 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikestbird443 View Post
yeah all seals were changed i just got under the car there was oil about to drip off of the exhaust and both duals look like they were rained on by oil so could oil be getting onto the ds and spraying it everywhere
Mike,

Did you put your yoke on the driveshaft. I have heard there are differences between the Mark yoke and the TBird/cougar yoke.

Brad

93 5.0 Thunderbird LX - Suspension rebuilt - poly , Solid rubber mm's, Tokico Blues, SCPP 3.5" CAI, True Duals (Pypes Bullits MVR200RA, Magnaflow Resonators 14416), FRPP case & 3.73 gears, Dynatech MMC driveshaft, Walbro 255lph, 3G 130 amp Alt, MAC 1 5/8" Long Tubes, Tru Cool (28k), Cervini hood, LC-1, QH, '95 Cobra J4J1 PCM, 88mm VMP Slot Blade MAF, '97 TBird Electric Fan, PBR calipers, 24lb EV6 Bosch 4 Jet Injectors

[email protected] (engine/trans is stock)

To Be Installed: WRGearset (FRPP) AOD w/Art Carr VB (transbrake/electric OD_non-lockup), Ultimate Converter Concepts 9.5" 4100, Hurst V-Matic 2, Camshaft Innovations "Custom" cam & "TEA" prepped TW 190 FAC by Jay Allen, Holley Systemax II, 75mm TB, 275/50/15 MT D/R's,
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

your a smart guy brad. no we did not and i figured that out early this morning well i realized i was lossing tranny fluid so i took it back to the install guys they saw it was the wrong yoke and i had to pay for them to put back on my yoke and put in the 2 quarts of tranny fluid i lost on the trip up there i didnt know they were different size yokes the guy i bought the ds from said it had a new yoke so i didnt realize it had to be swapped out.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 02:19 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
your a smart guy brad. no we did not and i figured that out early this morning well i realized i was lossing tranny fluid so i took it back to the install guys they saw it was the wrong yoke and i had to pay for them to put back on my yoke and put in the 2 quarts of tranny fluid i lost on the trip up there i didnt know they were different size yokes the guy i bought the ds from said it had a new yoke so i didnt realize it had to be swapped out.
Glad you found it. I hope the rear seal on the Transmission is fine. Please keep an eye on it. I'm sorry I didn't ask you before. I made the assumption the driveshaft had been in another TBird. I don't know what shop you had put the driveshaft and differential in but I am having a hard time understanding why they would not have compared the yokes. Nothing is simple on these cars! Oh well, you will love the gear. Can't wait till I get my AOD in with the 2.84 1st like you now have. Have fun!

Brad

93 5.0 Thunderbird LX - Suspension rebuilt - poly , Solid rubber mm's, Tokico Blues, SCPP 3.5" CAI, True Duals (Pypes Bullits MVR200RA, Magnaflow Resonators 14416), FRPP case & 3.73 gears, Dynatech MMC driveshaft, Walbro 255lph, 3G 130 amp Alt, MAC 1 5/8" Long Tubes, Tru Cool (28k), Cervini hood, LC-1, QH, '95 Cobra J4J1 PCM, 88mm VMP Slot Blade MAF, '97 TBird Electric Fan, PBR calipers, 24lb EV6 Bosch 4 Jet Injectors

To Be Installed: WRGearset (FRPP) AOD w/Art Carr VB (transbrake/electric OD_non-lockup), Ultimate Converter Concepts 9.5" 4100, Hurst V-Matic 2, Camshaft Innovations "Custom" cam & "TEA" prepped TW 190 FAC by Jay Allen, Holley Systemax II, 75mm TB, 275/50/15 MT D/R's,
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

yeah the thing is a last im still breaking the gears in tho just trying to warm them up but i had blue oval corral install everything i assumed it was a direct swap so thats what i told them they had it finished fast. it was a great shop they guys knew alot and were nice(actually drove me all the way home in his amazing 05 mustang while i was waiting for my car)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 06:55 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
yeah the thing is a last im still breaking the gears in tho just trying to warm them up but i had blue oval corral install everything i assumed it was a direct swap so thats what i told them they had it finished fast. it was a great shop they guys knew alot and were nice(actually drove me all the way home in his amazing 05 mustang while i was waiting for my car)
I'm glad your car is fixed. No offence, great guys and all, but mounting a "identified" Lincoln shaft, or for me, any different shaft I have always compared parts, always. Models change to much even within the year run itself. My 11/02 TBird had power steering pump mounting bolts for the '94 which take a special "Ford only" socket. Never thought to research special tools for a '94. Just part of the game. Mustang guys are used to monotony. Ours keeps us perking. I picked up on the yoke issue because I almost bought an aod with a "Mark VIII" tailshaft adaption and he was very specific that you had to run a "Mark VIII" yoke to run it. I think it needs to be stickied here or something.

Glad your fine. By the way. My '97 Cougar XR7 35th Anniversary Edition will be here in 4 hours. Don't know what I'm going to do with it yet, but..........

Brad

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in