Quieter Performance Muffler?? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
$.25 poster

Send a message via AIM to AlpineBird
Quieter Performance Muffler??

Ok, so today i had a somewhat new exhaust system put on the bird. They hacked apart my Dynomax catback and welded in a Mid-mount muffler and threw on two chrome tips out the back. I went to a very well known and trusted guy around my area who does amazing exhaust work, only problem is he uses his "in house" brand mufflers only. He put an XLerator muffler on the car and it sounds HORRIBLE. It almost makes the car sound like its not a V8. And not only that, the drone between 1500 and 2000 RPMs is deafening.

My question is, does anyone make a muffler that is quiet? I dont need loud right now, i already have a sickly loud jeep and the Bird is my DD for the time being. He told me he dosent think I'm gonna find a quieter muffler...

Even if quiet isnt possible, what would sound the best?

please tell me he is wrong guys.

EDIT:

Actually, i liked the smooth mellow tone of the Dynomax superturbo mufflers that came with the catback, would putting a round super turbo mid mounted give me the same quiet tone??

'96 Alpine Bird 281ci
- Clear Corners
- DynoMax Cat-Back
- Purchased with 36,000 miles, now at 101k
- No mods planned untill it's DD life is over

1998 5.9 Limited Grand Cherokee
- Flowmaster Exhaust
- AEM Brute Force Intake
- Mopar Performance ECU

- 275hp-395ft/lbs at the crank (est.) Track results in the spring!!!

Last edited by AlpineBird; 07-28-2007 at 01:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 03:27 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
what was wrong with what you had? if you liked it, why change?

1994 Thunderbird - 2000 4.2L M5R2 now has 55k

1995 Thunderbird - 2002 Alum 4.6L SVO - Awaiting transplant... (Parts donor)

1996 Cougar - 2004 3.9L 4R70W - Part-out soon
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 11:32 AM
4th Gear Poster

borla makes good sounding muffler, yet they are not noise polluter loud.

you might want to add another set of mufflers, and tips. even a set of glasspacks, will quiet that down.

00 GT transmission,Jmod,30,000 gvw transmission cooler
Air silencer removed(cone filter added w/ heatshield)
shaved emblems, doors, trunk, and antenna
Clear corners
chrome 95sc rims
20% tint all the way around,
6gallon air tank capacity, Viair 400c commpressor
175psi pressure switch
custom guages by Scott H.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2733945
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 02:51 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Marl Send a message via Yahoo to Marl
Loud pipes save lives!

1995 4.6L XR7 Dual Guage Pod with Oil and Temp., 255/60R15 Yokohama Avid S/T's, Screamin' Demon Coil's with Live Wires, K & N, modified stock oil pressure gauge, air silencer removed, stock air box, trans and tune by Darrin, TC by Dirtydog

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, 'It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than to be selfish and worry about my liver.'
Spend your money on your ride and not your girl. It'll last longer and fewer people have been in it!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
$.25 poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jco1385 View Post
what was wrong with what you had? if you liked it, why change?
I backed into a curb and screwed up one of the mufflers, and bent everything up. I was lucky nothing else was damaged.

The hunt will continue....

'96 Alpine Bird 281ci
- Clear Corners
- DynoMax Cat-Back

- Flowmaster Exhaust
- AEM Brute Force Intake
- Mopar Performance ECU

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
$.25 poster

I have been doing some research and have heard good things about magnaflow when it comes to a muffler that dosent drone. Can anybody on here back that up? I'm not really looking for something quiet, just something that wont rattle my eardrums between 1500-2000 rpm's........

'96 Alpine Bird 281ci
- Clear Corners
- DynoMax Cat-Back

- Flowmaster Exhaust
- AEM Brute Force Intake
- Mopar Performance ECU

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 12:04 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineBird View Post
Ok, so today i had a somewhat new exhaust system put on the bird. They hacked apart my Dynomax catback and welded in a Mid-mount muffler and threw on two chrome tips out the back. I went to a very well known and trusted guy around my area who does amazing exhaust work, only problem is he uses his "in house" brand mufflers only. He put an XLerator muffler on the car and it sounds HORRIBLE. It almost makes the car sound like its not a V8. And not only that, the drone between 1500 and 2000 RPMs is deafening.

My question is, does anyone make a muffler that is quiet? I dont need loud right now, i already have a sickly loud jeep and the Bird is my DD for the time being. He told me he dosent think I'm gonna find a quieter muffler...

Even if quiet isnt possible, what would sound the best?

please tell me he is wrong guys.

EDIT:

Actually, i liked the smooth mellow tone of the Dynomax superturbo mufflers that came with the catback, would putting a round super turbo mid mounted give me the same quiet tone??
What kind of muffler. Hacked up doesn't explain. SI/SO, DI/DO? I run a mid-mount and small muffs/resonators at the rear and it is quiet but that is a true dual. You may be stuck having to put muffs back on at the tips.

Brad

93 5.0 Thunderbird LX - Suspension rebuilt - poly , Solid rubber mm's, Tokico Blues, SCPP 3.5" CAI, True Duals (Pypes Bullits MVR200RA, Magnaflow Resonators 14416), FRPP case & 3.73 gears, Dynatech MMC driveshaft, Walbro 255lph, 3G 130 amp Alt, MAC 1 5/8" Long Tubes, Tru Cool (28k), Cervini hood, LC-1, QH, '95 Cobra J4J1 PCM, 88mm VMP Slot Blade MAF, '97 TBird Electric Fan, PBR calipers, 24lb EV6 Bosch 4 Jet Injectors

[email protected] (engine/trans is stock)

To Be Installed: WRGearset (FRPP) AOD w/Art Carr VB (transbrake/electric OD_non-lockup), Ultimate Converter Concepts 9.5" 4100, Hurst V-Matic 2, Camshaft Innovations "Custom" cam & "TEA" prepped TW 190 FAC by Jay Allen, Holley Systemax II, 75mm TB, 275/50/15 MT D/R's,
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 01:28 PM
4th Gear Poster

i had magnaflows on my sc.when it had cats, and no resonator, id was nice.

no cats, and no resonator = poop...They sound good, especially when you have a good resonator.

00 GT transmission,Jmod,30,000 gvw transmission cooler
Air silencer removed(cone filter added w/ heatshield)
shaved emblems, doors, trunk, and antenna
Clear corners
chrome 95sc rims
20% tint all the way around,
6gallon air tank capacity, Viair 400c commpressor
175psi pressure switch
custom guages by Scott H.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2733945
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
$.25 poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradone View Post
What kind of muffler. Hacked up doesn't explain. SI/SO, DI/DO? I run a mid-mount and small muffs/resonators at the rear and it is quiet but that is a true dual. You may be stuck having to put muffs back on at the tips.

Brad
I have a single in, single out round case muffler mid body, then it splits leaving two straight pipes out the back. Brand of muffler is pretty much unknown to me. I dont wanna have to put muffs on the back again. Im sure there is a solution to this or everybody here would have muffs on the back cause its BAD.

'96 Alpine Bird 281ci
- Clear Corners
- DynoMax Cat-Back

- Flowmaster Exhaust
- AEM Brute Force Intake
- Mopar Performance ECU

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 04:11 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineBird View Post
I have a single in, single out round case muffler mid body, then it splits leaving two straight pipes out the back. Brand of muffler is pretty much unknown to me. I dont wanna have to put muffs on the back again. Im sure there is a solution to this or everybody here would have muffs on the back cause its BAD.

Sorry to say, the solution is true duals. Running a midmount si/so out thru a 2 1/4" single pipe with no muffs on the end is going to sound like a continous loud fart. You have an engine wanting to breath and trying hard. It has to sound strained. End mufflers take away that sound, hence the reason for them there stock. If Dynomax or any of the rest of them could accomplish a single muffler on their Catback systems they would.

Brad

93 5.0 Thunderbird LX - Suspension rebuilt - poly , Solid rubber mm's, Tokico Blues, SCPP 3.5" CAI, True Duals (Pypes Bullits MVR200RA, Magnaflow Resonators 14416), FRPP case & 3.73 gears, Dynatech MMC driveshaft, Walbro 255lph, 3G 130 amp Alt, MAC 1 5/8" Long Tubes, Tru Cool (28k), Cervini hood, LC-1, QH, '95 Cobra J4J1 PCM, 88mm VMP Slot Blade MAF, '97 TBird Electric Fan, PBR calipers, 24lb EV6 Bosch 4 Jet Injectors

[email protected] (engine/trans is stock)

To Be Installed: WRGearset (FRPP) AOD w/Art Carr VB (transbrake/electric OD_non-lockup), Ultimate Converter Concepts 9.5" 4100, Hurst V-Matic 2, Camshaft Innovations "Custom" cam & "TEA" prepped TW 190 FAC by Jay Allen, Holley Systemax II, 75mm TB, 275/50/15 MT D/R's,
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 06:32 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to twin turbo 281
magnaflow or hooker max flows. magnaflow has a great sound with out the drone and the hooker is very very quiet at idle yet has a good wot tone. I eventually want to get the max flows. Tested on a stock 5O fox the db level with the hookers was lower than stock mufflers but had a great wot sound with out the drone and its a strait thru muffler.

2x95 cougars to the scapper
97 F250 psd 4x4 dd twin charged
48 Gmc Detroit diesel 453t twin sticked
45 Chevy 451 detroit twin sticked
51 Mack A51T restoration

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in