What if? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

What if?

What if I just cut out the resonator and just put in some straight pipe in its place? I have a 94 4.6l V8 still have the factory exhaust. I got rid of the violin case intake and now I can hear the intake air over the exhaust note. I'm just looking to make it a little louder but not looking for the drone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 02:16 PM
5th Gear Poster

Cut the 3rd cat off too & get the shop to make you a "y" pipe. That will bring the sound up a little. **note: not emmisions compliant if the guy wants to be hard about it. If the car is running well already it would pass a sniffer test.

Black '97 XR7
Magnaflow almost true duals w/ 3" rolled tips
Transgo bucking kit w/ aux cooler
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 03:22 AM
6th Gear Poster

My exhaust has undergone several changes...
Started with a cat back system. Nice sound, not too aggressive. I then swapped the cat system for a setup that had 2 hi-flow cats and a y-pipe. No 3rd cat and sounded a bit better. Definitely flowed better.
But then I moved to Cali. The smog nazis busted me on the setup, and I had to put on an OEM cat system. I have both, so I can swap out for smog checks...
I then found the mufflers were rusting from the inside out, and yanked them putting in straight pipes, leaving the resonator. The catch though, is the resonator is on the hi-flow cat system, so when I run the OEM cats, I'm running completely straight out the back.
Surprisingly, it's not as loud as you might think, but will drone at highway speeds. As of right now, I was too lazy to put the hi-flow system back on, so it's.. um... quite aggressive sounding right now. The extra cat does help tone it down a bit.
If you just cut the resonator and leave the mufflers, you'll see an increase in cabin noise on the highway. Not too bad, but definitely louder.

Peter M

SOLD 1996 4.6l Thunderbird-(fast) PI intake, custom exhaust, Bullet-Resistant Tranny™, blah, blah, blah
2007 VW GTI-(faster) United Grey, 18" wheels, APR stage 1 chip, and... uh... that's it for now.
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 03:50 PM
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to robertrose6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post
The smog nazis busted me on the setup, and I had to put on an OEM cat system. I have both, so I can swap out for smog checks...
I was think about something like that but was worred about how hard it was to swapp out.
so how hard is it to do

[
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 05:21 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipsd1 View Post
What if I just cut out the resonator and just put in some straight pipe in its place? I have a 94 4.6l V8 still have the factory exhaust. I got rid of the violin case intake and now I can hear the intake air over the exhaust note. I'm just looking to make it a little louder but not looking for the drone.
Well, I did exactly that on my 95, and I also cut out the mufflers and ran straight pipe on those as well. Sounds ok, but does have some drone in OD on the highway, but nothing I can't get used to. Also, in the high rpms, it gets a bit "ricer" sounding. Of course I've never heard it cause I'm the one driving. I have a sound clip of what it sounds like.

Jay

These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 10:55 PM
$.25 poster

Send a message via AIM to AlpineBird
I had straight pipes on mine for about a month. hated it! I just threw some quiet mufflers on it untill i figure out and get the money for a true dual setup

'96 Alpine Bird 281ci
- Clear Corners
- DynoMax Cat-Back
- Purchased with 36,000 miles, now at 101k
- No mods planned untill it's DD life is over

1998 5.9 Limited Grand Cherokee
- Flowmaster Exhaust
- AEM Brute Force Intake
- Mopar Performance ECU

- 275hp-395ft/lbs at the crank (est.) Track results in the spring!!!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 11:03 PM

I would recommend saving for a true dual setup. I tried just switching out my stock mufflers for flowmasters, and it droned like crazy, and sounded terrible. I finally saved up and got the 2.5 true duals with the mid mound magnaflow, and it sounds great, very little, if any drone, and it can be pretty quiet if you stay out of the throttle
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 12:03 AM
6th Gear Poster

I agree- true duals with a 2in/2out reso and straight out the back, is probably the best way to go.
Swapping the cat system is a PITA! Between the O2 sensors and the manifold flanges...

Quote:
it can be pretty quiet if you stay out of the throttle
Now why would anyone do that?

Peter M

SOLD 1996 4.6l Thunderbird-(fast) PI intake, custom exhaust, Bullet-Resistant Tranny™, blah, blah, blah
2007 VW GTI-(faster) United Grey, 18" wheels, APR stage 1 chip, and... uh... that's it for now.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 02:06 PM

The key is "if"
I haven't been able to much, and definitely not for long.
Also, I have the DI/DO magnaflow muffler, and no resonator.
By far, the true duals is the way to go, you definitely won't have to worry about your intake being louder than your exhaust

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in