Exhaust questions - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-30-2007, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Exhaust questions

I am wanting to change my exhaust but I am not looking to go to wild. I want something that has good sound but is a better perfoming exhaust. I have heard that true duals will lose tourqe. My idea right now is to cut the 3rd cat out and replace with a Y pipe, delete resonnator and put a Dynomax cat back kit on. The motor is stock now but I plan in the future for a Blue oval tune with a Mustang airbox and 80mm MAF. Has anybody done a setup like this. I just need some opinions from yall.

Thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-30-2007, 10:41 PM

True duals can only lose torque if you go too big, at least that is my understanding. I would recommend the magnaflow di/do, and 2.25" duals. The muffler has a built in x pipe, and a straight through design. I have 2.5" on mine, and I don't have any mods done, yet, and I didn't notice a loss in torque, but I would say go with 2.25 just to be safe. The muffler has a great sound, but only gets really loud when you're in the hard on the gas
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

any other opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 01:08 PM
Veteran Poster

I gotta go with 94.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

I see, Thanx. One more question. Will this setup with the duals be around the same price?
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 11:39 AM
Veteran Poster

That really depends on who's doing it. Definately shop around because the sky is the limit.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 12:01 PM

i got my pipes done for 150, but I agree with drnaline, have to shop around, and take pictures when you go, cause a lot of places say it can't be done
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 02:56 PM
3rd Gear Poster

i onwed a shop in mississippi and worked at one in balitmore before i moved to memphis. usuall cost for a custom true dual out the back set up without mandrel bends was right around 550 with bullet mufflers from dynomax (similar to a glass pack but uses cermaic packing for longer life and a better more refined muscle car sound). most of the guys on this board i've seen have gone this route and are happy as clams. they sound amazing.

like the others said shop around, a reputable shop that will stand by there work is most necessary. alot of "custom exhaust shops" have mechanics who can't weld if their lives depended on it.

now, with that said, either 2.25 inch pipes or 2.5 inch pipe will be fine with the mods you have planned. with respect to torque its not neccesarily that you lose any, its that the rpm band is shoved up (u make power higher in the rpm band). Horsepower itself is a mathmatical function of torque. to me is more about advertising than it is about what the car can do. just my opinion though. my point is that as with any performance modification, you gotta choose whats gonna fit with ur current set up. those two pipe sizes will work the difference is very slim, 2.5 inch is what i usually go with for v8 applications as it has more wiggle room for future mods.

the set up you explained with the dynomax catback is also a good one which will add some power and sound, but as for the sound the dynomax cb uses its turbo mufflers which are quiet, nearly stock quiet. if ur interested in another suggestion for a catback like that send me an email, [email protected] or hit me up on aim at the same screen name. id be glad to talk with you and help you out with any questions you might have or advice.
Travis
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 03:43 PM
Veteran Poster

Yup, it should look good as well as sound good. Every thing should be symetrical in relation to itself. I don't like clamp together anything and alot of systems you buy out there a clamp on. You could always ask for examples of there work, but i would mandate welding as a minimum.

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 08:44 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

I run true duals 2.25" with x pipe/dynomax bullet mufflers/graduation into 2.5" right at the differential. The sound is good. Had a magnaflow dual in dual out with built in X-pipe previously, but it was way to mellow of a sound. Not bad sounding, but definatly not aggressive AT ALL. Then i went ahead and went with the dynomax bullets, and these i have been more happy with. Not raspy, but a more aggressive sound for sure...

However, i'm going to change it over to a big single. In my opinion true duals for these cars require too many bends (especially if the bends are crush bent) to be efficient. With a big single pipe going around the gas tank, one can lessen the severity of the bends. Also running a single pipe would be cheaper if your that concerned about price. (1 pipe to be bent, 1 muffler, etc.) The price would probably be almost cut in half.

Now for flow... These cars don't require much flow, as we have a hair more than 200 horsepower, and only 281 cubic inches of displacement. Plus as i have said before, true duals require so many bends that there is no way that thing can keep a good velocity (good for torque) with that many crush bends. Horsepower i'm sure is effected as well. Because again... the amount of bends. A pipe measuring 2.25" across is going to become significantly less after it's bent with a compression bender. Also think about it like this... There are loads of import cars running single 3" pipe or 3.5" pipe, etc. Obviously less displacement and less cylinders, but if a 3 or 3.5" can support a 300HP STI, EVO, Supra, or the like, then i'm sure it can support a 200HP V8... Just my opinion and something to think about. Good luck.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 04:39 PM

I disagree with the magnaflow lacking an agressive sound, although it isn't loud at idle, and doesnt get very loud till about 2200 rpm, but it depends on what sound you like, too. I went to it after having flowmaster super 40's, which had very little "good, agressive" sound, so the magnaflow was a HUGE improvement. I guess I would have to hear the bullets in person, to make a decision. I'm definitely happy with the magnaflow though
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 10:00 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Well part of having an aggressive exhaust note is the note at idle and cruising speed. Aggressive isn't necessarily loudness, but it has that special something that lets you know it's not a Suburban with a cat back on it. When i had the magnaflow DI DO it didn't sound much different than a truck with a generic muffler welded in place of the stock system. That was my biggest complaint about the magnaflows. Just too mellow sounding and lacked that modern muscle sound. In my opinion it sounded very close to a small Japanese V8 such as a Lexus 4.3, rather than sounding like an American thumper.

Magnaflows are no doubt a good muffler, and probably a good starting point for most people as their not too loud, not droney, not raspy, and seem to last a long time (have good quality). But i think if one is looking for something very aggressive and beastly sounding i would look elsewhere.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 04:14 PM

I don't know what your system sounded like, but mine doesn't sound like a lexus. I think it sounds more like a gt, not a really loud gt, but that sort of sound. Of course, this is all left to personal experience/personal preference, but mine sounds quite agressive, just not at idle. At idle, it sounds more like a stock gt, fairly quiet.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 05:03 PM
13's or Mildly Broken

I've got 2.5" true dual on my 96 with high flow cats and mid-mount Magnaflow. I like the setup, but wish it was just a touch louder. But for a daily driver it sounds great. I went with the 2.5" because my original plan was to put a Vortech on it. If I wasn't going SC'ed, I'd go with 2.25.

-Melon

1994 Thunderbird SC 3.8L Supercharged
1999 Crown Victoria P71 4.6
2000 Explorer 5.0
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 08:50 PM

I agree, and my eventual plans include some sort of blower...
but for now, while im in college, its a daily driver, and im happy with the way it turned out, though i could stand it a bit louder. I have also heard that the 2.5 gives it a little deeper sound... no proof to that, its just what ive heard
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 11:22 AM
Stroked and Blown

Send a message via AIM to BlakTbird96
I have recently had true duals ran on my 1996 3.8 n/a. It sounds okay. I went with 2 inch all the way back.

My other home:
Mid-AtlanticMN12's

'96 Ford Tbird 3.8 SC
'06 Chrysler Sebring "Vert 2.7
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 01:37 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to twin turbo 281
a good cheap way to do it is 3" single cat back then a crossflow (camaro style) magnaflow at the rear (dual outlets). that makes it so much cheaper buying one muffler and a single exhaust. It also sounds more aggressive than the di/do everyone is running.

2x95 cougars to the scapper
97 F250 psd 4x4 dd twin charged
48 Gmc Detroit diesel 453t twin sticked
45 Chevy 451 detroit twin sticked
51 Mack A51T restoration
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 04:00 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
True duals will not lose torque. Actually duals with an X-pipe increases torque, while an H-pipe increases high-end. Since the common method of doing true duals is to use the mid-mounted magnaflow, which has an X pipe built into it, the true duals will actually increase your torque, assuming you don't go too big.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 04:22 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to twin turbo 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeyL View Post
True duals will not lose torque. Actually duals with an X-pipe increases torque, while an H-pipe increases high-end. Since the common method of doing true duals is to use the mid-mounted magnaflow, which has an X pipe built into it, the true duals will actually increase your torque, assuming you don't go too big.
actually thats backwards tests shown that a h pipe helps the lower end and a x pipe helps the upper range.

2x95 cougars to the scapper
97 F250 psd 4x4 dd twin charged
48 Gmc Detroit diesel 453t twin sticked
45 Chevy 451 detroit twin sticked
51 Mack A51T restoration
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 04:46 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
In case you haven't seen it yet. Check out THIS THREAD there are some good pictures here.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 06:59 PM
5th Gear Poster

I just cut off the middle resonator and hooked up a flowmaster, mid mount and it sounds great.
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 12:07 AM

Do what I did.

Dual piping 2.25 inch. All the way back to two glasspacks in the rear.

Sounds really good and not that loud, until I open the cutouts
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 03:18 AM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to 351cat
or you can do what i did, put a magnaflow cat where the resonator was (only cat on the car) then just hack the muffler off and leave it. It sounds pretty good w/ a 351, not sure about a 4.6. It's kind of redneckish, but i am from southern missouri, lol. some of the guys at the KC meet couple weeks ago heard it and liked it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Hedberg
"Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry For The Convenience."
Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar_guy04 View Post
Red Green, is that you? Might consider looking into fabbing an intake setup that isn't so, well, ghetto.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in