Exhaust Question - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Exhaust Question

ok so I am planning on getting my exhaust done here soon, I am getting all new high flow cats, 2.25" pipes and magnaflow mufflers, Although I am considering deleting the third cat but I don't know if it would cause emissions issues. No resonator of course as I am told that it just makes back pressure. My problem is I was told by a shop that these cars came from the factory with 2.25" pipes. Now I am not a certified mechanic but I do know a few things. That just sounds like BS to me. But that does make me interested in what the stock size was. Anyone know? Also let me know what you think about my exhaust before I get it, wanna make sure I am getting the best set up.

Thunderbird Family -
93 Thunderbird LX V8 Mods:Blaupunkt Bahamas MP46, Blaupunkt GT Speakers, Blaupunkt 12" Sub, K&N Intake, Taurus Cupholder, MSD Cap, Rotor, Coil, and Wires, Bosch Super Copper Spark Plugs, Bosch Battery, 93 SC Rims W/Fuzion Tires
87 Thunderbird Sport V8 Mods:Blaupunkt Bahamas MP46, Blaupunkt GT Speakers, MSD Cap and Rotor, Autolite Platinum Spark Plugs, Bosch Battery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 03:39 PM

I believe that the stock size is 2.25" before going into a single 2.5" pipe. Removal of the third cat won't cause you to fail emissions unless your engine isn't running right and it was taking up the slack of the first 2. I passed smog in CA with only the front 2, and the readings for HC, CO, and NO were almost zero.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

so does that mean I can just reuse the stock pipes and throw on the high flow cats and mufflers and just delete the resonator and get the same performance? If so that would be much cheaper.

Thunderbird Family -
93 Thunderbird LX V8 Mods:Blaupunkt Bahamas MP46, Blaupunkt GT Speakers, Blaupunkt 12" Sub, K&N Intake, Taurus Cupholder, MSD Cap, Rotor, Coil, and Wires, Bosch Super Copper Spark Plugs, Bosch Battery, 93 SC Rims W/Fuzion Tires
87 Thunderbird Sport V8 Mods:Blaupunkt Bahamas MP46, Blaupunkt GT Speakers, MSD Cap and Rotor, Autolite Platinum Spark Plugs, Bosch Battery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 07:38 PM

You can probably do that but I've never seen the exhaust of a 5.0L MN12. With the 4.6L, new downtubes will yield benefits as the stock collector angle isn't the most conducive to unimpeded flow.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 06:33 PM
4th Gear Poster

You'll want to replace the downtubes if they're factory. If I remember correctly, the driver's side is especially bad. On mine the factory downtube from the manifold dropped almost straight down and entered the cat from the top, and exits out the rear. A 90° turn in only a few inches. Quite a restriction. Here's a pic of a 3.8 SC exhaust - the driver's side is similar to what came from the factory on mine:

mn12-techinfo-exhaust

That is all...
glz

Experience is simply knowing what not to do... and knowing what won't work.
The Car... 324,201 and still goin' strong; Me... I'm NOT a complete idiot - still missing a few parts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 11:28 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to twin turbo 281
these cars have no bigger than a single 2.25 pipe from factory

2x95 cougars to the scapper
97 F250 psd 4x4 dd twin charged
48 Gmc Detroit diesel 453t twin sticked
45 Chevy 451 detroit twin sticked
51 Mack A51T restoration
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

ok so then simplest and cheapest option is to replace the stock downtubes, replace the cats, delete resonator and add new mufflers? And just leave the stock pipes?

Thunderbird Family -
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 04:14 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to twin turbo 281
FWI the resonator creates no backpressure i have seen thru a stock mn12 resonator and you can see strait thru it. Its only to reduce sound. fwi backpresure is not necesarily good actually its bad. velocity is what matters a pipe too big will have slower velocity killing the vaccum effect on pulling the next spent charge along.

2x95 cougars to the scapper
97 F250 psd 4x4 dd twin charged
48 Gmc Detroit diesel 453t twin sticked
45 Chevy 451 detroit twin sticked
51 Mack A51T restoration
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

I have been told by three different shops that resonators do create backpressure, just not much to worry about. I just figure get rid of as much backpressure as possible. I am still looking into the possibility of deleting the third cat. I will have to check with some smog shops I guess.

Thunderbird Family -
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 07:27 PM
PostWhore

Well they do create a little back pressure. It creates turbulence when the exhaust expands from the reg pipe into the chamber, then has to funnel back into the exit pipe.

1995 T-bird 4.6l - Eibach lowering springs, Cobra R hood, One 12" sub woofer, Alpine type-R front speakers. 16.249 @85.11mph 1/4 mile
2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - Cam, headers, HPtuned by me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in