near stock exhaust setup? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to AbSeNtEE
near stock exhaust setup?

What does everyone suggest for a near stock exhaust setup?
I'm getting the front 2 cats removed on monday, and would like to know what would sound best:

a) 3rd cat and resonator removed and replaced with y/straight pipe. rest left how it is.
b) 3rd cat removed, resonator replaced with something???? any suggestions?
c) 3rd cat and resonator removed, and replaced with y/straight pipe. replace the stock mufflers with some different muffs. any suggestions?
d)other

my main concerns are drone at highway speeds, and not sounding too ricey. But I want a slightly better tone than stock.
I would love to go true dual, but I only have a budget of $300. The exhaust shop quoted me $150-200 to replace my 2 cats (replacements provided by me) and remove the 3rd cat and resonator and putting in a straight pipe. so I have about $100-150 to work with to make it sound a bit better.

BTW, I searched and couldn't find any good answers

-(\ /)-
(O.O)
(> <)
94 T-Bird LX - 3rd Cat removed - 12" Glasspack for resonator - PBR Brake swap - Air Silencer Removed - 16" ROH ZS Wheels - 89-93 SC bumper - Pioneer Headunit - A Sirius Disorder - 2 10" MTX Thunder 220 Watt Subwoofers - 400 Watt Phoenix Gold Monoblock Amp.
Coming Soon: The Junkyard, R.I.P.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 08:05 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to twin turbo 281
find a cheaper shop. So your going offroad exhaust? One real cheap solution is glasspacks they actually sound good on a 4.6 with offroad exhaust. or run a magnaflow crossflow (camaro style) muffler at the rear then youll only have to buy one muffler. Stay away from rustmasters there no good and drone like crazy

2x95 cougars to the scapper
97 F250 psd 4x4 dd twin charged
48 Gmc Detroit diesel 453t twin sticked
45 Chevy 451 detroit twin sticked
51 Mack A51T restoration
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 12:23 PM
5th Gear Poster

the dynomax cat-back kit has given me years of good results. no drone and no rice. its not loud either....nice low key rumble. slightly louder than stock are your words and this fits imho. i would recommend this for mostly stock applications.

if you want head turning loud, this will not do it for you.

1994 Thunderbird - Renegade Racing Long block, TFHS Trans, NA/SVO intake. Cam94 lives!
2010 Shelby GT500 - Black/Silver
1995 Thunderbird LX - 2000 GT PI Swap by W&S Motorsports - Sold on Tccoa.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 01:25 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Traveler
With your low budget, you're best bet is to keep the 2-1-2 set up. Lose the cats (as you already have planned), replace the third cat (resonator) with a dual in-single out Magnaflow muffler (my personal favorite, other companies make them as well) then split back into "duals" after the single pipe gets you around the gas tank.

I also like the glasspack idea.

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
80 MM Mustang GT MAF - P&P'd Mustang GT TB and Intake Plenum - PI Intake manifold - PI Heads
Mark VIII Torque Converter - J-Modded 4R70W transmission - Mark VIII Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 gears
PBR Brake Calipers - Eibach Springs - KYB Shocks
'89 SuperCoupe front and rear sway bars
SCT Chip programmed by Lonnie Doll
255/50/16 Falken Ziex ZE-512's
True Dual exhaust with Magnaflow DI/DO muffler
<<< SOLD >>>
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to AbSeNtEE
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin turbo 281 View Post
find a cheaper shop. So your going offroad exhaust? One real cheap solution is glasspacks they actually sound good on a 4.6 with offroad exhaust. or run a magnaflow crossflow (camaro style) muffler at the rear then youll only have to buy one muffler. Stay away from rustmasters there no good and drone like crazy
It will technically be offroad, by cutting off the 3rd cat, but it should still pass emissions. The $150-200 quote was to replace the entire front section from manifolds back to the resonator, with me providing the 2 main cats (which i have already) Including hacking off the 3rd cat, welding in a Y pipe, and a straight pipe in place of the resonator. I don't think it was too bad of a price considering the rust they might have to deal with.

When you say glasspacks do you mean as a replacement for the stock mufflers? I guess my main concern is not having drone after removing the resonator. I'll have to talk to the shop to see what they have in stock for options.

-(\ /)-
(O.O)
(> <)
94 T-Bird LX - 3rd Cat removed - 12" Glasspack for resonator - PBR Brake swap - Air Silencer Removed - 16" ROH ZS Wheels - 89-93 SC bumper - Pioneer Headunit - A Sirius Disorder - 2 10" MTX Thunder 220 Watt Subwoofers - 400 Watt Phoenix Gold Monoblock Amp.
Coming Soon: The Junkyard, R.I.P.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in