Modifying mustang longtubes - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Modifying mustang longtubes

I wanted longtubes for my mark viii instead of midlengths, and I wanted to do my headers on a budget also. I just ordered a set of painted flowtech 96 cobra longtubes from jegs for 290 bucks, which includes all mouting bolts, gaskets, and 02 extensions.

I know that before there were midlengths, mark viii guys used to modify cobra headers for their cars, and I think I remember some 4.6 thunderbird guys doing the same things with GT headers. My questions is about the actual modification that needs to be done to the drivers side for the steering shaft.

These headers on the drivers side are divided up into 2 parts for the installation, you install the rear 2 primaries, then run the steering shaft, then bolt up the other 2 primaries and then slip the collector on kind of like bassani headers.

Through my research, I have found that the passenger side typically fits without too much drama, and that the drivers side typically only needs 2 of the primary tubes modified to clear the steering shaft.

Would anyone happen to remember which tubes were typically modified and how? My search didnt turn up any pictures. I am hoping to do my longtubes in march, along with a full 2.5 inch X-pipe with twin dynomax bullets, and muffler tips out back that are like the ones that are sold by a couple of vendors on here, but off brand. I am hoping it wont drone with the X, the bullets, and the rear mounted mufflers, and I am hoping to pick up a 25 rwhp increase with the full exhaust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 10:59 PM
6th Gear Poster

there has been little talk from time to time on this subject on here, and when it gets brought up it gets shot down my the guys with alot of knowledge on the subject of mn12s real fast. i beleive the general consensus is that your idea was tried and talked about alot but never completed. there is supposed to be some serious floor panel clearance issues. if you could copy and paste your research onto this forum so we can see what your talking about? maybe you alone have wandered across something easily done that all these guys havent noticed.

Shipping out to basic training for the army on april 12th!

Bird is on serious down time
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Most of my research is mark viii based, but I know that 3 of the faster N/A marks and a couple of the supercharged marks modified MAC longtube headers. Search Modified headers on www.markviii.org , and they should come up with what you need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 09:47 AM
PostWhore

I have 2 pair of MAC longtubes for Mustangs, perhaps we can do a test fit on JamesD car since his motor is out.

Edit - my bad, I have 2V longtubes but maybe should take a quick look anyway unless someone has already tried.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 11:49 AM
MaleWhore

Send a message via AIM to smokymance
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightningvic View Post
... I am hoping to pick up a 25 rwhp increase with the full exhaust.

i doubt that is possible with just exhaust on the marks...the stock exhaust on the mark isnt too restrictive for what air it pulls in...search around and you'll find out that the dohc's actually do a tad too good on the air and exhaust side vs. the displacement of the engine...reason the IMRCs on the intake are there....that is what i remember what i read a while ago and what im basically getting at is that 25 might be a high goal for just exhaust without any supporting mods...

1997 MN12 Sport 4.6L Supercharged 5 Speed Sold
1998 Mark VIII LSC Teredor Red, Parts car, PM me
1998 Mark VIII LSC Pearl, Stock, Garage Queen
2000 Jeep XJ 4.0L Long Armed and Locked
2008 Yukon Denali 6.2L Supercharged
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 12:40 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
I really don't think enough people have done this to be able to tell you exactly which tubes need to be modified. Plus every brand header is done a different way, so what works on one brand might not work on another. The easiest way to figure out what you will need to do is going to be to remove the steering shaft, then install the headers, make your clearance for the floor if needed, and then start to re-install the steering shaft and see where it is hitting and how bad.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 08:18 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
KDanner also mentioned that MAC longtubes almost fit.....i think he said the problematic side is naturally the driver's side....so maybe MAC is the way to go for those who can/will custom fab up some stuff along the way to make them work

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=90949

Last edited by guitar maestro; 01-30-2008 at 08:33 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in