magnaflow on the way - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

magnaflow on the way

my muffler guy is ordering the dual in dual out magnaflow muffler tommorow(#11385)....thats the 2.25 in size....im keeping the primary cats but going tru duals after that....im pretty stoked about this....my muffler guy quoted me 350 for the job.....is there anything i need to let him know about installing this system on a bird?....when its on ill figure out how to do my first video clip of it......again, im stoked....hehehehe.....this will go great with my air silencer delete and KN panel filter.

pimp'n aint easy

mods: air silencer delete w/ k&n panel filter, magnaflow di/do tru duals w/all cats removed, sct 92 oct tune by blue oval chips, tokico advanced handling suspension kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 08:15 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
might as well do high-flow cats....whats another $80 since your spending $350 already

www.performancepeddler.com
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

^^^we'll call that near future....hehehe

pimp'n aint easy

mods: air silencer delete w/ k&n panel filter, magnaflow di/do tru duals w/all cats removed, sct 92 oct tune by blue oval chips, tokico advanced handling suspension kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 12:49 AM

just remember when u first start it up the sound u hear will be not as loud and deep as it will be once the muffler breaks in i would do if u can a 2 video deal one now and one in like 2k miles once it has totally broken in
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 05:11 AM
Beer and Cheese

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsLE97 View Post
just remember when u first start it up the sound u hear will be not as loud and deep as it will be once the muffler breaks in i would do if u can a 2 video deal one now and one in like 2k miles once it has totally broken in
I don't understand, how does a muffler "break in?"

Matt,

I've had the same di/do muff on the car for about 3K and a year and half and it sounds the same the day it was all welded together.

God Bless the men & women who have served and serving to keep us free
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

well mufflers that use baffles wont really "brake in".....but ive noticed a marginal sound increase after time when using glass packs....the trick is the fibers eventually being packed together from the exhaust....but again, a baffled mufflers sound volume will always remain the same.

pimp'n aint easy

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 05:15 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Tx_Cat Send a message via MSN to Tx_Cat Send a message via Yahoo to Tx_Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar maestro View Post
might as well do high-flow cats....whats another $80 since your spending $350 already

www.performancepeddler.com
I dont see any $40 converters...

PhotobucketNitrous and boost go together like peanut butter and jellyPhotobucket

Nuttin make you feel more like a man in a Thunder Cougar Falcon Bird

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

anybody have a vid link to my exact setup im looking at?

-retaining primary cats
-2.25 di/do magna
-4.6L, duals and midmount of course.....HELP!.....this anticipation is killing me....lol

pimp'n aint easy

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 08:43 PM
Listening on 141.850 mHz!

strung - I'm SERIOUSLY thinking about getting the same setup, same parts, Magnaflow 11385 and Magnaflow 94004 catalytic converters on my '97 Limited Edition. I have to buy the parts and take them to a muffler shop where he'll charge me $350 for pipes, bending, installation.

Very curious to hear from you what it sounds like, how it went, etc.

Gonzalo Duque "Gonzo"
1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC 4.6L Cobra V8
1997 Thunderbird Limited Edition 4.6L V8 - gone.
Might be a 2005-2007 Jaguar XJ-8 L in my future.

[email protected]
Westland, Michigan - but I'm from central New Jersey!
http://www.hoodliners.net - My hoodliners I make!
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

^well i have a photobucket acct.....i guess you can apparently do video clips there....ive never done a vid clip before....but when this is done ill sure as hell be doing one...hehehehe....ill post it for ya....and how my muffler guy did on the dual job.....just be sure to add a little more sound volume to yours due to the high flow cats....lol

.....the only thing im a bit worried about is the crush bends on a 2.25 system.....my muffler guy said it shouldnt be an issue.....but i dunno.....im thinking crush bends on 2.5 piping would amount to the same exhaust flow as mandrel 2.25 system.....hhhmmmmm...thinking now.

pimp'n aint easy

Last edited by strung; 02-13-2008 at 09:41 PM.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 10:31 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Traveler
I had an exhaust guy tell me that the larger pipes have to crush further to get the same bends, so going with a 2.5" pipe won't flow any better than a 2.25" pipe if using crush bends. And if your engine is mostly stock, then the 2.25" dual pipes will definitely outflow your single 2" pipe. Of course, if you can find someplace that actually does Mandrel bends go with that.

By the way, I got a LOT of compliments on the way the LE (and the GT) sound with the original cats, DI/DO magnaflow and true duals. Now I have the same set up without any cats, and it sounds great. (Just louder)

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
80 MM Mustang GT MAF - P&P'd Mustang GT TB and Intake Plenum - PI Intake manifold - PI Heads
Mark VIII Torque Converter - J-Modded 4R70W transmission - Mark VIII Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 gears
PBR Brake Calipers - Eibach Springs - KYB Shocks
'89 SuperCoupe front and rear sway bars
SCT Chip programmed by Lonnie Doll
255/50/16 Falken Ziex ZE-512's
True Dual exhaust with Magnaflow DI/DO muffler
<<< SOLD >>>
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OxmanWI View Post
I don't understand, how does a muffler "break in?"

Matt,

I've had the same di/do muff on the car for about 3K and a year and half and it sounds the same the day it was all welded together.
theres packing in magnaflow mufflers that breaks down and eventually gives it the true tone that its going to make. Now mufflers like flowmaster is basically what u hear is what u get because there is no packing or anything that can break down like that also did u take a sound clip of when u put it on and now?? I guarentee its louder/ less quiet than when its brand new. When i put the same setup on my old 97 it was decent but the true sound came in later on
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 07:20 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to 9730thwhtcat
Arrow

Hey guys, listen im planning on changing out my mufflers and keeping everything else stock, the guy at lou's in ________ quoted my $650 for just the mufflers and install. RIPP OFF!. what i'm trying to go for is a much more nice idle tone these mufflers are what im aiming at. Magnaflow # 11225 also lou's qoute was for the tailpipe bending, just because I want to kept the look I have now. SEE HERE. Any suggestions would be great!. Thanks
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 12:38 PM

if i were u i would just go with a si/do magnaflow and have him bend the 2 pipes in the rear downwards on each side, plus you will save some money with just getting one muffler just my .2 cents
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

well my muffler came yesturday, that thing is awsome.... i didnt know it had a built in X pipe.....well, anyway the system goes on tuesday.....now, off to the EEC thread to discuss my xcal2 tune im buying next week...hehehehehehe

pimp'n aint easy

post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 12:52 PM
MAMN12 Posse Member

Same setup I'm running. Magnaflow DI/DO with true duals. Still with the precats in it. They're in the process of being taken out though...heh...

Preview of coming attractions...

~Jeff

*signed off
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

^^^thats exactly the vid ive been looking for.....well, now i know i made the right decision....thanks man!

pimp'n aint easy

post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 01:26 PM
MAMN12 Posse Member

I think it's the best sounding way to go...plus you'll get plenty of attention too, lol. There's a little bit of cam lope there but you should get the same sound.

~Jeff

*signed off
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 07:19 PM

i agree on the magnaflow breaking in... mine sounds noticeably louder and a lot deeper now, with about 10-12k on it.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

it on!......this system sounds bad ass!.....ive got to say, my muffler guy did one hell of a job, ive seen plenty of pics of the same system on here, ive noticed alot of really noticable crush bends with some of them pics....well, not on mine.....the bends are hardly noticable at all....props to my muffler guy...(hes done 5 of my previous cars)....ill get some pics up of his totaly flush work.

pimp'n aint easy

post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 08:29 PM

Glad to hear! Please post those pics and then sound/video clips if you have them. I'm going to be doing this same setup but after I get a new intake and replace the 2 broken springs on the driver's side. Very intrested in those "crush" bends! I'd like to show them to the guy who's going to be doing mine!

Gonzalo Duque "Gonzo"

[email protected]
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

finally got a vid done.

pimp'n aint easy

Last edited by strung; 03-16-2008 at 07:37 PM.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 07:33 PM

Thanks strung! Sounds good! Curious to see the system from underneath so I can print it out and take it to the guy who'll be doing mine!

Gonzalo Duque "Gonzo"

[email protected]
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

sure....ill work on that.....it looks as awsome as it sounds.

pimp'n aint easy

post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 09:04 PM

sounds good... give it time and youll really love it
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 10:09 PM
MAMN12 Posse Member

I'll have to post a video of mine within the next week...same video clip as above, except my friend is cutting the cats out of it and welding pipe in.

~Jeff

*signed off

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in