Guard your Cats! - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Exclamation Guard your Catalytic Converters!

FYI.

Keep an eye on your catalytic converters; especially if you have a SUV or pickup that sits high and allows easy access to the undercarriage. Or, if you're planning on going catless and upgrading your exhaust this might be a great way to finance the project.

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gone in 60 seconds: treasure in your car
As precious metals prices soar, catalytic converters are targets for thieves
By Alex Johnson
Reporter
updated 4:38 p.m. ET, Tues., Feb. 12, 2008

As prices of precious metals skyrocket, thieves are targeting an obscure component of automotive exhaust systems in lightning thefts that can be accomplished in less than a minute, police and automotive experts say.

The component is the catalytic converter, which has been a mandatory part of exhaust systems since 1975. Police across the country say they have seen a dramatic rise in thefts of the components in recent months.

If you peer inside a used catalytic converter, nothing looks salvageable, much less valuable. But some of the gray gunk in there hides three expensive precious metals.

Catalytic converters have only small traces of the metals platinum, palladium and rhodium but there's enough in them for a thief to resell stolen units for up to $200 apiece. Rhodium is among the most expensive metals on Earth, commanding as much as $6,000 an ounce on the open market.

Scrap dealers are paying top dollar platinum, palladium, rhodium inside of them and they're getting top dollaron resale, said Jack Bell of North Shore Towing, which tows vehicles for the Evanston, Ill., police.

The word spreads real quick about it, what they're worth,said Marty Antonelli of Marty's Welding and Muffler Shop in Pittsburgh. Everybody is on them now.

Easy to find = easy to steal
The converters are inviting targets because they're easy to grab. Mounted on the exterior undercarriage of vehicles, they can be removed in about a minute with any standard metal cutting tool. An enterprising thief in a crowded parking lot or garage can make off with enough converters to clear $2,000 or $3,000 in half an hour.

These thieves are targeting shopping malls, school parking lots, busy business districts, and they are hitting these places in the daylight,said Jennifer Krings, a spokeswoman for AAA. A lot of the large passenger cars SUVs, trucks and vans have two, so those are a target.

Anita Ortez returned to the parking lot after a short shopping run at a supermarket in DeSoto, Texas, to quickly learn that something was wrong with her SUV, a Toyota 4Runner.

I turned it on, and it made a whoooom noise,said Ortez, who said she was in the store for only about 20 minutes. I jumped back thinking it was going to explode.

She had the right idea. Besides rendering your exhaust system inoperable, a missing catalytic converter can be dangerous.

On some of these cars, if that pipe gets cut off near some wiring or a fuel line or a gas tank which in some cases are not shielded there is a possibility of a fire and/or explosion,said David Eames of Pittman Automotive Service in Seattle.

Easy pickings in crowded lots
Ortez is just one of hundreds of victims in small-town DeSoto, population 37,000.

This is a new thing for us,DeSoto police Lt. Mike Sullivan said. I think it's starting to be a trend throughout the United States.

The 4Runner is the most common target of thieves, said the Los Angeles Police Department, which issued a public warning about what it called a new disturbing trend.The 4Runner sits high off the ground, and its converter is attached with four bolts that are easily sawed off, making it simple for thieves to duck underneath, do their business and scoot.

The Kia Sportage, with a similar profile, is also popular, said Ron Baker, general manager of Spitzer Motors in Cleveland.

They're the easiest to get under and the easiest to remove,Baker said.

But any vehicle made after 1975 is a potential target, said Kyle Evans, a spokesman for the Murfreesboro, Tenn., police.

This is certainly something that could happen in someone's driveway,Evans said.

More commonly, it happens in parking lots and garages, where dozens of vehicles are lined up ripe for the plucking.

I've heard of people going into apartment complexes in the middle of the night just taking a handsaw, getting up under someone's car and sawing it off,said Tony Murtell, manager of U-Pull & Pay in Philadelphia. They collect a few of them and take off somewhere to be recycled.

It's happening everywhere now, you know,said Trina Stutt, part-owner of Stutt's Transmission Service in Pulaski, Tenn. I am shocked at how fast this is growing.

A hard crime to uncover
The Institute of Scrap Recycling Industries, a national trade association, said there were no national statistics on the pilferage of catalytic converters, which are generally lumped in with other auto-theft incidents. But it said it had seen a sharp rise in reports of thefts, and it urged scrap dealers to be suspicious of anyone walking in with a converter.

As it happens, there's not much a recycler can do. Catalytic converters don't have serial numbers, so they can't be tracked, making a stolen converter all but impossible for a scrap dealer to identify.

It's very hard to trace that,said Sgt. Chuck Zeissler of the Madison County, Ala., Sheriff's Office. You would have to go back and see what type of actual catalytic converter was placed on that vehicle and try and trace it back to the vehicle it was stolen off of.

While police say drug addicts are most frequently found responsible for the thefts, the treasure in the exhaust system is rich enough that it can lure some surprising culprits.

In December, a former member of the Board of Aldermen in Arlington, Tenn., was arrested after Shelby County sheriff's deputies found him tucked under a Buick station wagon. The man, co-owner of an auto parts store in town, was trying to steal catalytic converters from vehicles in the Tennessee Highway Patrol's own impound lot, deputies said.

If catalytic converters are so valuable that people will actually try to steal them from the cops, what does that mean for everyday car owners?

Unless you can garage your vehicle 24 hours a day, anyone can climb under your car and cut off the catalytic converter,said Sgt. Bob Jagoe of the Baltimore County, Md., police auto theft team.

Harrisburg, Pa., police Chief Charles Kellar acknowledged: There is not a lot you can do. You have to go to sleep eventually.

NBC affiliates KHAS of Hastings, Neb.; KING
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23117250/

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 01-03-2011 at 06:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 10:55 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to fl96thunderbird
I heard about this a year ago or so.... no offense for the find though.

SOLD the 96 in favor of a 97 ABS, TC, Sunroof
OEM E46 Bi-Xenon D3S

XBox 360 gamertag: POPIMP96
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 11:01 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to Ainline41
If someone wants to take them, they can have them, just feel free to put some straight pipe in there in place, I don't want the restriction anyway.

98 Mark VIII LSC
03 Focus ZX3 2.3 - beater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 02:05 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Happened to one of my neighbors. I think it was a late 80's early 90's toyota pick up.
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 09:06 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to SignofTheCat94 Send a message via Yahoo to SignofTheCat94
Most people pay someone to cut them off LOL. Really though, that's a sorry state. Imagine coming out of the grocery store and starting your car after that....

Mods? Do the ones in the garage waiting to go on the car count?

Many thanks to my fellow Veterans; I am honored to be a part of your ranks.
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 09:51 AM
6th Gear Poster

holy crap!!! i have like 8 or nine sets laying around my familys farm from my uncles old demoderby/pure stock cars, i had no idea they were that valueable...

Shipping out to basic training for the army on april 12th!

Bird is on serious down time
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 10:37 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

if u can get to mine, your one skinny mofo
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 01:42 AM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
perfect excuse for the smog nazi's, "i have no cats because they were stolen" lol

-Matt
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 07:41 AM

We had this happen at our dealership. They only hit 2 vehicles that were there, but at the dealer across the street, they hit like 28 vehicles.
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 07:47 AM
5th Gear Poster

they can have mine

Ed
94 Thunderbird 4.6 PI

post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 11:02 AM
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to AbSeNtEE
Quote:
Originally Posted by birds4us View Post
We had this happen at our dealership. They only hit 2 vehicles that were there, but at the dealer across the street, they hit like 28 vehicles.
uhhhh....why? unless i misunderstood it, aren't the precious metals in there created after the cats have been used for awhile? or am i dumb and those metals are what the cats are actually MADE of.

unless of course its a used car dealership...

-(\ /)-
(O.O)
(> <)
94 T-Bird LX - 3rd Cat removed - 12" Glasspack for resonator - PBR Brake swap - Air Silencer Removed - 16" ROH ZS Wheels - 89-93 SC bumper - Pioneer Headunit - A Sirius Disorder - 2 10" MTX Thunder 220 Watt Subwoofers - 400 Watt Phoenix Gold Monoblock Amp.
Coming Soon: The Junkyard, R.I.P.
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 11:30 AM
Refrigerator Raider Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbSeNtEE View Post
uhhhh....why? unless i misunderstood it, aren't the precious metals in there created after the cats have been used for awhile? or am i dumb and those metals are what the cats are actually MADE of.
Cats are manufactured with the metals mentioned. Those metals are the catalyst, not the product.

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 11:32 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 95xbird Send a message via MSN to 95xbird
This happend a few times at my dealership.Mainly the 4Runners and Tacomas.I didn't mind ordering in the replacements.It was a nice Commision check.

Also on my old 93 Toyota pick up I had,The exhaust rusted right at the converter flange and it fell off.So I straight piped it with $10 of pipe and clamps and took the converter in to recycle it.I got back $98.00 for it.

04 PI swap,SVO Supercharger 8-9 psi,Alcohol injection,39lbs Cobra injectors,XCal2-Walbro 255 LPH fuel pump,4.10 T-Lok,2003 4R70W built to withstand by RobertP,450hp JMOD,3800 circleD stall,trucool 4739 Trans Cooler,Dynotech 3.5 Driveshaft,70mm T/B,SCP Cold Air Intake,90mm LMAF,JBA headers,Magnaflow Midmount,No cats with 3inch piping,Vogtland 1.6inch drop,Cobra R's and xenon body kit.

Its slow, Really.
LS1 KILLER
1995 svo Tbird. R.I.P.
Parts FOR SALE http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=132585
96 Pearl white bird. Awaiting transplants from the 95
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 12:42 PM

Where the **** are they getting $200 for a converter at? They fetch $25 for the big chev ones around here so they arent even worth jackin.All this made possible by cordless reciprocating saws :P
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 10:58 AM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to frankjc
I had been making alot of extra money selling used cats (100% legally) that were replaced under warranty at my dealer to the scrap guy. Unfortunately, the manufacturer wised up to this and now wants ALL warranty cats returned.....oh well, it was nice while it lasted.

Drive it like you stole it!
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Super Moderator

Garage
Reminder!

With warmer weather approaching the Sh1t bag scum bottom feeders will be out to steal your cats!

I got this email today from my office park security office:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakePointe Office Park

Sent: Tuesday, April 15, 2008 5:08 PM

Dear LakePointe Tenants,

Over the past few days, we’ve received reports of 3 incidents where catalytic converters were stolen from under a pickup truck or SUV. This is an increasingly common incident in the Charlotte area and CMPD says it only takes about 60 seconds for a thief with a cordless saw to remove this section of a vehicle’s exhaust system.

This email is to request your assistance with increased community awareness and communications with our office. Please remind your staff to remain diligent by not leaving valuables in parked vehicles and most importantly – ask them to report ANY suspicious individuals or activities to the LakePointe Management Office. If someone witnesses a crime in progress, please ask them NOT to confront the perpetrator but to dial 911.

If you have any questions or would like to speak with Childress Klein’s local security director – please do not hesitate to contact your property manager or the LakePointe Management Office. If you have a security manager or another contact that would like to participate in our Coliseum Area Crime Prevention Council, please let us know.

Thank you for your continued support of our community.

Michelle Starks

Tenant Services Coordinator

Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 07:06 PM
PostWhore

I'm with the other poster up ^ there. Take them, please, just replace them with a tube for me If the price ranges are right... maybe I should junk my three cats to pay for having a complete exhaust done?

I'm Mister_T and I approve this message.
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 07:14 PM
Voice/Data Guru

OH Boy .i wish i could fine one under my cars, I would smach the dude like a bug or blow his head off with my 44 . Its been awhile sence i have poped a head with a bullet . Done that many times in the Gulf War in 91

2017 Mustang GT 5.0L 2nd gen, cold air box,tune,6 speed auto,RGR 3.31, Magnaflow Tru X-pipe ,GT350RStrips
Gray Mustang Registry # 8582

post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 07:24 PM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderChecken View Post
OH Boy .i wish i could fine one under my cars, I would smach the dude like a bug or blow his head off with my 44 . Its been awhile sence i have poped a head with a bullet . Done that many times in the Gulf War in 91
I like his remedyto the problem. I had a guy this week asking if he could have my exhaust parts that were sitting out side I told him nope I am using them, he looked at me real funny and drove off I have had these things sitting around for 2 years and only one other guy has asked me that and he was in a tow truck and his truck said harolds salvage but needless to say I moved all of my cats inside the garage I have 15 or 16 of them out there in my garage now and I run catless all the time but now I am thinking of putting some magnaflows on.

Got the only bird with Lambo Doors in Texas!
Thanks Luke!
97 Thunderbird 4.6
1992 Merc. Cougar 5.0
1995 Merc. Cougar 4.6
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 09:20 AM
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to vantage08
lol yeah you can have it! But then you fail inspection lol.

www.tstacc.com
1988 V6 3.8- SOLD!
2005 Pontiac GTP- COMP G( Pontiac Supercoupe)
Mods: inferno hood, GXP spoiler, Liquid Metal 17s, K&N short ram intake,LED out the 3in ZZP DP back exhaust. 304 stainless.
post #21 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 06:38 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to ZackG Send a message via Yahoo to ZackG
ill put a padlock on my converter.

97 Tbird 4.6
VT built block, fox lake PI heads
Vortech at XY psi
4.10's, KB boost a spark.
Yummy.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2147246
post #22 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 07:02 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackG View Post
ill put a padlock on my converter.
x2 padlock indeed!

O&E Speed Shop - 2333 Aberdeen St. Kenner, LA
EFI Calibrator - decipha @ EFIDynoTuning
http://www.efidynotuning.com/tune.htm
post #23 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 12:00 PM
Veteran Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to chris g
gonna have to check in on this stuff, hey if u can get to mine go for......lol

COLD AIR INTAKE, MN12 PERFORMANCE FRONT SUSPENSION KIT, SILVER PAINTED AVS WINDOW GUARDS, SILVER PAINTED DASH PANELS, 28% MIRROR TINTED WINDOWS, SUSPENSION TECHNIQUES 2'' DROP, TRUE BENDS CUSTOM 2.5'' TRUE DUAL EXHAUST. 2nd generation SC wheels.
post #24 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 12:10 PM
Voice/Data Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantage08 View Post
lol yeah you can have it! But then you fail inspection lol.

Nope Then it would give me a good excuse to put on high flow cats and back to my cat back system !! Looking to do this when time comes to put my PI heads and exhaust manfoilds on

Then put the MasterLock on lol

2017 Mustang GT 5.0L 2nd gen, cold air box,tune,6 speed auto,RGR 3.31, Magnaflow Tru X-pipe ,GT350RStrips
Gray Mustang Registry # 8582

post #25 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 08:55 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to loudpipessavelives
haha mine are already gone!

93 Bird/ Trick Flow 5.0-- awaiting some fresh paint
99 Marquis on 20's (daily)
01 Mustang Cobra with bolt on's-- 22k miles, might be for sale soon

http://www.cardomain.com/id/CDogg93
post #26 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Super Moderator

Garage
Local dealership cleaned out over Memorial day weekend! 30 vans stripped of their converters!

http://www.wcnc.com/video/?z=y&nvid=248836&shu=1

post #27 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 11:53 AM
PostWhore

Damn!!!!

post #28 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 09:34 PM
3rd Gear Poster

post #29 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 09:45 PM

id love to see one of these asshats try n squeeze under my car..even at stock height and with as thin as i am its a struggle for me to fit under there without jackstands besides.. my cats are hollow theres no cats on my 96 either.. (straight pipe into a set of thrush turbos) and my yotas just dumping right out of the manifold hehe.. they arent going to get much out of me
post #30 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 10:03 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HGainiac View Post
easy to throw water on him now!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in