Got a Single Exhaust - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Got a Single Exhaust

Yesterday i finally went through with my plan and got a 3" single exhaust for the tbird. I have had a whole lot of exhaust set ups and so far this is what i like THE best no doubt about it. For those out there looking for an exhaust i'll give you a break down on my thoughts of different exhaust set ups...

Flowmaster Series 40 cat back. 2.5" single split at the rear. 3rd cat still on the car. Resonator deleted: This set up really wasn't bad. Obviously had some drone as most flowmasters do, but this had a nice mellow tone. Probably perfect for someone who is looking for something different than stock but not too loud. If there are alot of cops in your area this may be a good set up for you.

Magnaflow DI/DO w 2.25" true duals stock main cats: This set up was a little too mellow for me. Possibly ridding of the cats would have upped the tone and probably would have gave a more aggressive sound but i live in CA. I thought there was a small increase in power of stock exhaust, however this was when everything on my car was stock as a rock.

Same set up as above but dumped at the rear suspension. This added some aggressiveness but also aded some drone and was still just too quiet for me. In my opinion the magnaflow sounded more like a truck than a muscle car.

Dynomax Race Bullets with magnaflow universal x-pipe true duals 2.25" stock cats: This was much more aggressive than the DI DO magnaflow. This set up is quite loud which i wouldnt mind much, however the note was a little "barbly." Kind of like how a sixer sounds but not quite so crappy and raspy.

3" Single with a Dynomax Bullet stock main cats. By far my favorite set up. A little on the loud side, i may have to switch out the dynomax for something a little quieter after the dynomax breaks in a bit. However, this by FAR has the deepest sound out of all my exhuast set ups i have had. It has a nice deep powerful sound to it, and while driving there is NO drone at all. Surprisingly with the single i didn't lose the muscular sound that i love so much, it doesn't sound like a truck at all. Powerwise i feel that i gained some mid range with this set up. At first i was afraid of losing some torque because i'm obsiously losing the X-pipe which provided some scavenging. However, i honestly have not felt any noticeable decrease in torque but have felt something nice up top (this is with the PI swap minus heads).

In the end i just think that dual exhausts on these cars have to be bent around way too much to get the pipes to fit. Anyone that has been under an MN12 knows how tight the spaces are for the exhaust under these cars. By running one big single pipe you can lessen angles of the bends and have an overall straighter exhaust. Although loud i think this is one of the better options for these cars. Possibly a more mellow muffler such as a magnaflow would be better suited for a set up like this. That is all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 02:20 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to MadGoat Send a message via MSN to MadGoat
HAHA! I just crawled under my bird today because I finally broke my temp. exhaust hangers! And I'm so freakin fed up with my exhaust Im think about ripping it off until I can get the new exhaust installed. Thunderchicken and I have already bought the pieces to work on the single 3" design (I assume it follows pretty close to yours.) Could you post some pictures? I'm more curious to what you have done to the y pipes from the headers... I'm looking at deleting my cats all together.

Im lookin at doing 2.5 from the headers down to 3" single to a 3" 22" glasspack, then to a 3" 22" magnaflow race muffler, to center rear dump. (already have all the peices and pipe, except for the 3" pipe)

ANY input would be great.

~MG~

MadGoat's Birds
94 Thunderbird LX 4.6L PI
03 Aluminum PI Engine, J-Mod, Aluminum one piece drive shaft, 3.27's, 2.5" to single 3" custom MagnaFlow exhaust, 07 17x8 Bullit Wheels
97 Thunderbird LX 4.6L V8
RIP
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

My exhaust guy just used i think a Magnaflow uiniversal Y pipe. Because i have the stock downtubes and stock cats (again i live in CA) that set up was kind of what i was stuck with. I belive the y pipe was a 2.25" inlet then a single 3" outlet obviously. What i will probably end up doing is either get the magnaflow spun cats and run 2.5" downtubes flanged on the exhaust manifolds as well as after the Y pipe where the 3" pipe begins. That way u can switch between the two. Catted set up or a high flow cat setup or i was even looking into an off road pipe. Especially because i am getting an Xcal probably monday or tuesday (depdnding on UPS) and i can shut off the rear o2's.

I have a little more input for you but something has coem up. I will be back later tonight to leave my $0.2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGoat View Post
HAHA! I just crawled under my bird today because I finally broke my temp. exhaust hangers! And I'm so freakin fed up with my exhaust Im think about ripping it off until I can get the new exhaust installed. Thunderchicken and I have already bought the pieces to work on the single 3" design (I assume it follows pretty close to yours.) Could you post some pictures? I'm more curious to what you have done to the y pipes from the headers... I'm looking at deleting my cats all together.

Im lookin at doing 2.5 from the headers down to 3" single to a 3" 22" glasspack, then to a 3" 22" magnaflow race muffler, to center rear dump. (already have all the peices and pipe, except for the 3" pipe)

ANY input would be great.

~MG~

Okay im back now. To be completley honest i think using the glasspack may not be the best idea. Just because glasspacks are loud to begin with and usually don't last long. They end up just blowing out and therefore becoming a straight pipe. As i said before this single exhaust is LOUD. I mean dynomax race bullets are loud mufflers (what i have) but holy hell this set up is very very loud. If anything i would use the dynomax bullet in place of the glasspack because they are cheap anyways (roughly $45) and are available in a 16" overall length which would free up some space. Believe me you need as much clearance as you can get unless you want to put some nasty bends in your 3" pipe. Even with my dynomax bullet 16" overall length (mid mounted) things were still a bit tight. I was able to avoid putting tight bends in the pipe but there really isn't any more room to spare.

As i said before this set up is LOUD as hell. If your going catless i would for sure suggest getting a muffler on the quieter side. Maybe a regular old magnaflow would be a good choice as those are known to be mellow and on the quiet side. And i'm not just saying this set up is loud because i have sensitive ears either. I like loud... But for comparison, my DI DO magnaflow was quiet compared to this. The magnaflow set up would be a whisper and this dynomax single set up would be an explosion in comparison. Maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration but you get my point.

I suppose if you take things into perspective, by going to a single you are eliminating many components that quiet down the exhaust. A crossover pipe (x or H) you will lose some sound. With duals you are running 2 mufflers to quiet down the engine noise, and also twice the pipe length as well. Possibly even more than that because the pipes have to be bent so severly in order to get things to fit under the car. Also as i said before by going with the single you eliminate the bends severity as well which will also make things louder. In short your going from 2 mufflers, a mile worth of pipe, a snake full of bends, and a crossover pipe to a short, straight, huge pipe with a single muffler.

As for pictures i will try to take some soon. However things are hard to see because i tried to hide the pipe as much as possible. I also have an SC rear which also helps cover the pipe. But you can see the pipe somewhat from the rear so i will try to get a picture of that for you.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 07:39 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Im going with a 3 inch setup and 2 straight thru Magnaflows!!! I'm excited. Well anyways, I don't know if I want to keep the 3rd cat or get a muffler in its place. That would make 3 mufflers and I think that would be a tad quiet. Would the cat or muffler be louder?
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnockin5.0 View Post
Im going with a 3 inch setup and 2 straight thru Magnaflows!!! I'm excited. Well anyways, I don't know if I want to keep the 3rd cat or get a muffler in its place. That would make 3 mufflers and I think that would be a tad quiet. Would the cat or muffler be louder?
How about duel 2.5" pipes into a magnaflow resonator to a 3" pipe & split it back to duel 2.5" with no mufflers?
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PReDiTR91 View Post
How about duel 2.5" pipes into a magnaflow resonator to a 3" pipe & split it back to duel 2.5" with no mufflers?
In my opinion thats too much crap going on. These cars need a simple exhaust in my opinion. The only reason why i would say it'd be a good idea to split the exhaust at the rear again is for the style. These cars already have so many restrictions because of the bends needed to contour the gas tank and suspension, the last thing the exhaust needs is a Y at the very end. Not only that IF you wanted the dual pipes for the style of it, that'd probably be best to run the true dual anyways... The whole point of this big single exhaust is to eliminate exhaust components...
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sCrEaMiN BiRd View Post
In my opinion thats too much crap going on. These cars need a simple exhaust in my opinion. The only reason why i would say it'd be a good idea to split the exhaust at the rear again is for the style. These cars already have so many restrictions because of the bends needed to contour the gas tank and suspension, the last thing the exhaust needs is a Y at the very end. Not only that IF you wanted the dual pipes for the style of it, that'd probably be best to run the true dual anyways... The whole point of this big single exhaust is to eliminate exhaust components...
No matter how you set it up its too much crap going on! I picked up a SCP inc. exhaust set up from another SCCoA member, cut off the cats, cut off the mufflers + a good peice of pipe! It cuts off right at the diff. I think your exhaust is a little more restrictive then mine! I will go with a 3" exhaust later on. If you want a simple exhaust get a fuel cell!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 10:27 PM

My brother is running home made 3.5 " single exhaust with no cats and 1 Dynomax welded series muffler on his car,it's kind of quiet at idle and it screams at WOT Video
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PReDiTR91 View Post
No matter how you set it up its too much crap going on! I picked up a SCP inc. exhaust set up from another SCCoA member, cut off the cats, cut off the mufflers + a good peice of pipe! It cuts off right at the diff. I think your exhaust is a little more restrictive then mine! I will go with a 3" exhaust later on. If you want a simple exhaust get a fuel cell!

Not too bash SCP's products but that looks pretty restrictive if you ask me. Obviously your exhaust may be less restrictive but it's not going to be because of the actual set up. Your running no cats or mufflers, and not only that your exhaust is dumped... Having cats deleted is going to free up a crap load in itself but the pipe design isn't any more efficient. As i've said before i have already had different true dual set ups and just by looking at the bends it used to make me cringe. As stated above by going with ONE single pipe you can eliminate many of those crazy bends or atleast decrease the severity of them significantly.

Obviously if you have a mandrel bender then the bends around the gas tank aren't that big of a deal because th epipe isn't crushed into submission. But if you only have access to a compression bender it is extremely important to keep the number of bends to a minimum. With the single pipe you can slowly introduce bends where you need the pipe to go, where as a dual the bends in a way have to be bent harshly just to get it to fit. Even in the picture posted above one can see just how much those pipes have to be bent and how much diameter the pipe loses when bent that severly. Asingle 3 still loses pipe diameter when being bent, but because the pipe has more room under the car the bends can be reduced somewhat. Again the cross sectional area of dual 2.5" pipes exceeds the cross sectional area of the single 3 but we're talking about the bends here. Here is another picture to describe what i'm trying to say...
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 02:55 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Obviously as you said your exhaust is dumped at the diff and youhave eliminated the mufflers so there are minor differences, i was just trying to attempt to show how MOST would run a true dual set up. This was drawn up on paint so it's not gonna be too scale or the exact degree of angles, etc. but it just gives a good diea of what i'm talking about here...

Burbank95SC: your brothers mark sounds sick and is damn fast. So is the SN95 in the video! I actually wanted to go 3.5 at first but my exhaust guy said that would be quite a bit louder and i figured that a 3" would be easier to fit under these cars anyways and it would also not be quite so loud... Thank you for sharing.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 03:40 AM
PostSkank

Send a message via AIM to StupidFly
Just for reference's sake, I'm going to link this thread. There's some good info on weight and cross-sectional area.

math > pasta
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 02:10 AM

Quote:

Obviously as you said your exhaust is dumped at the diff and youhave eliminated the mufflers so there are minor differences, i was just trying to attempt to show how MOST would run a true dual set up. This was drawn up on paint so it's not gonna be too scale or the exact degree of angles, etc. but it just gives a good diea of what i'm talking about here...

Burbank95SC: your brothers mark sounds sick and is damn fast. So is the SN95 in the video! I actually wanted to go 3.5 at first but my exhaust guy said that would be quite a bit louder and i figured that a 3" would be easier to fit under these cars anyways and it would also not be quite so loud... Thank you for sharing.
I agree with you on the true duel, I have the 2.5" into the magnaflow to a single 3" pipe then it splits into two 2.5" pipes (just a small section) then it dumps. I picked up this exhaust cheap so Ill use it a while but I will want to convert all my pipes to 3" later on with the same style set up 2-1-2
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

That would be an interesting set up. I would be curious as to the sound difference because you will be running 2 pipes out the rear and i obviously only have 1. Is there a particular reason why you want to split the pipes at the rear again? Looks?
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 11:27 AM
PostWhore

would this be less restrictive? would it matter?

has anyone done this?
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 03:30 PM
PostWhore

I think the major problem in the mn12 exhaust like mentioned before is the gas tank area. Even Ford sort of helped it when the gas tank changed to a less screwed up design in the early 90's. I couldn’t even imagine a true dual thro the early design lol. To fit 2 compression bent 2.25 or 2.5" pipes through the "newer" tank area still does take some sharp bends though.

One other thing to note on a single exhaust is that while dual 2.25" pipes have more surface area then one 3" pipe, the exhaust has to flow past more of the pipe walls on the dual exhaust which can be a restriction. I always wondered how much of a restriction that would be but I remember hearing some exhaust company explain that about one of their single exhaust systems.

1995 T-bird 4.6l - Eibach lowering springs, Cobra R hood, One 12" sub woofer, Alpine type-R front speakers. 16.249 @85.11mph 1/4 mile
2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - Cam, headers, HPtuned by me.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Mister T. I think that would be a little less restrictive, however as pointed out before the gas tank/suspension area is THE biggest problem.

I could have sworn Gale Banks (spelling may be wrong on first name) explained single vs dual exhaust systems on tv. Banks Power was being interviewed on SpeedTV i think and he was trying to explain the benefits to a single. However he does mostly turbocharged vehicles which is a completley different subject all together...

David.... i never thought about the pipe wall situation. Anyone know how much of a difference that could make? I always just assumed that single pipe equals less TOTAL bends and less severity of those reduced amount of bends. However, i do feel the difference in the upper RPMS with this single exhaust over the magna duals.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 12:28 AM

Quote:
That would be an interesting set up. I would be curious as to the sound difference because you will be running 2 pipes out the rear and i obviously only have 1. Is there a particular reason why you want to split the pipes at the rear again? Looks?
I like the Idea of having a duel exhaust but I dont like the idea off passing two pipes by the gas tank so thats the only reson I have a single pipe threw the gas tank. I have all mandrel bends also, later on when I go with all 3" pipes still in the 2-1-2 style I may go with some dynomax bullet mufflers were you would run some hiflo cats!
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 04:15 AM

If we are worried about nothing but flow why not just buy two Quick time performce cut outs... Also get the switch so you can open and close them inside the car.. that's what I did got .3 off the 1/4 mile time. Just a though.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krell View Post
If we are worried about nothing but flow why not just buy two Quick time performce cut outs... Also get the switch so you can open and close them inside the car.. that's what I did got .3 off the 1/4 mile time. Just a though.
First of all those aint cheap. Most people on this site don't have that kind of money, including me. This topic was posted to tell people about another exhaust option not to inform people about how to eliminate restrictions. Everybody on this site probably knows the least restriction is going to be from going with no exhaust at all. I wanted to inform people that this set up is probably a better flowing set up than a dual, it is cheaper, and in my opinion sounds much better.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in