This Is My Third exhaust Setup in 2 months - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Send a message via MSN to GoldenBird
This Is My Third exhaust Setup in 2 months

Okay Iam a Proud owner of a 95 LX Tbird. I have to say this car wasnt my first choice, but this car has grown on me more than any other!

Okay the first week I got the Bird I deleted the mufflers... was a lil louder but pretty mild....

than About 2 weeks ago I had the Resonator deleted with a straight pipe.
here is a video I posted on another post.

okay so now I just got my newest setup today. I have to admit I took the idea from
"sCrEaMiN BiRd " Hows It going Down In Sac Town?
http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=109508 -Got a Single Exhaust

Okay So this is by far the loudest setup of any car I have ever had. Here is a sketch of my setup right now

I dont have any mufflers and thats why The exhaust pops all the time... "Sounds like a SS Camaro with a moddifed exhast." I know I need a lil Backpressure so Im thinking about puttin in a super 44 Flowmaster muffler. 3" Center/Center

I will post a video up if it stops raining.... As soon as possible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 09:04 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

deleting the mufflers sounds like *****. we've all heard the videos before, and it still sounds like *****. save up and get a real exhaust done.
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 11:37 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFanatic View Post
deleting the mufflers sounds like *****. we've all heard the videos before, and it still sounds like *****. save up and get a real exhaust done.
i would have to agree. with my set-up(kooks mids, magnaflow res & mufflers, hi-flow cats, 2&1/2" to 3" back to 2&1/2" straight out the rear valance) i think it sounds like a Ferrari w/the v12s in 'em. it's got that higher pitch almost whine to it, and it really wants to rev up. with my original set-up i had just the mufflers changed out to flowmaster 50 series and it was deeper and a little more throaty, but this is definitely a very distinctive sounding car now. do your exhaust right the first time. it will pay for itself later by you not getting to be known as that guy always in the muffler shop!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 05:15 PM
PostWhore

I actually like the sound in the vid lol.

1995 T-bird 4.6l - Eibach lowering springs, Cobra R hood, One 12" sub woofer, Alpine type-R front speakers. 16.249 @85.11mph 1/4 mile
2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - Cam, headers, HPtuned by me.
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 05:54 PM
Voice/Data Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_viny View Post
I actually like the sound in the vid lol.

The sound in the video remines me of my dads 70 XLT Truck with a 390ci with the three on the tree

2017 Mustang GT 5.0L 2nd gen, cold air box,tune,6 speed auto,RGR 3.31, Magnaflow Tru X-pipe ,GT350RStrips
Gray Mustang Registry # 8582

post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 06:14 PM
5th Gear Poster

ive always wondered what the muffler delete would sound like with the resonator gone as well.....sounds pretty tough imo.

pimp'n aint easy

mods: air silencer delete w/ k&n panel filter, magnaflow di/do tru duals w/all cats removed, sct 92 oct tune by blue oval chips, tokico advanced handling suspension kit
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 07:38 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

im sure the drone sounds great
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 09:45 PM
Tim
4th Gear Poster

just get true duals with no cats if you want loud i had that and now have a flowmaster on and i hate it.
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 11:44 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
just get true duals with no cats if you want loud i had that and now have a flowmaster on and i hate it.
I had true duals with cats and a big single is much louder. In my opinion single is a better sounding exhaust on our cars. Much more aggressive and not so boring/mellow sounding.
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sCrEaMiN BiRd View Post
I had true duals with cats and a big single is much louder. In my opinion single is a better sounding exhaust on our cars. Much more aggressive and not so boring/mellow sounding.
I conquer
post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 01:31 PM
Tim
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
I had true duals with just the front 2 cats on and i think it was perfect just like that, then i went ahead and chopped the cats off and just had her straight piped it was so ungodly loud sounded like a helicopter cruising down the highway btw i have 2 1/4 piping so it was alot of crackeling and poping i dont think that your single could of been as loud as my no cat true duals i have never heard such a thing
post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 06:02 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Didn't i just say i HAD true duals? Why do you think i USED to have true duals? Considering i have had a true dual set up with various different types of mufflers, i think i can make a better statement on whether or not single or dual is louder on these cars. Of course YOUR set up is louder because you have no cats, if i had no cats with my current set up mine would be louder. I had just stated that my catted single was sh*t loads louder than my catted duals with the SAME mufflers... Obviously considering the previous a catless single would be louder than a catless dual...

Think about it.

Duals = twice the pipe length, sh*tty bends, 2 mufflers total (if your running mufflers...)

Single = Half the pipe length of duals, possibly even less than half because of the elimination of some of the bends that a dual will have. Only one single muffler total, and less total bends. Also the bends that are in the single are less severe than a dual therefore more noise.
post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 06:04 PM
Tim
4th Gear Poster

I also had the front cats and single exhaust and it was not that loud at all almost sound exactly like a stock system with the muffs cut off, so i do know, why do you think i went to true duals because the single exhaust was not loud.
post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 12:17 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
I also had the front cats and single exhaust and it was not that loud at all almost sound exactly like a stock system with the muffs cut off, so i do know, why do you think i went to true duals because the single exhaust was not loud.
Was your system single all the way back? Also what size pipe?

And i guess your telling me that double the mufflers and double the pipe length and more bends and increased bend angles = more sound?

riiiiiiiiighhhttt...
post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 08:20 AM
6th Gear Poster

True duals 2.25''... mid-mount magnaflow tru-x muffler... delete the cats... best sound at any RPM, not just idle.

Deleting the mufflers alone sounds "ok" at idle... but when driving it sounds like a damn 4 cylinder with a **** can (horrible drone).
post #16 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 01:27 PM
Tim
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Was your system single all the way back? Also what size pipe?

And i guess your telling me that double the mufflers and double the pipe length and more bends and increased bend angles = more sound?

riiiiiiiiighhhttt...
wtf are you talking about, im just telling you that my single exhaust couldnt compare the way my true duals did
post #17 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 06:14 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=109508

^ Read... Learn...

Duals = 2 mufflers, twice the pipe length, more bends, stronger severity of those bends

Single = 1 muffler, half the pipe length of duals, less total bends, less severe bends...

Therefore, your still telling me a single is still "quieter" than a dual? Realize that doesn't make any sense...
post #18 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Okay heres a video I made today. The camera doesnt pick up how loud the car truely is..
check it out

Last edited by GoldenBird; 02-26-2008 at 07:29 PM.
post #19 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 12:05 AM
Tim
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=109508

^ Read... Learn...

Duals = 2 mufflers, twice the pipe length, more bends, stronger severity of those bends

Single = 1 muffler, half the pipe length of duals, less total bends, less severe bends...

Therefore, your still telling me a single is still "quieter" than a dual? Realize that doesn't make any sense...
I'm not talking about mufflers whats bends and length got to do with sound its going to have a sound no matter what, I wonder if you know anything at all
post #20 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 12:18 AM
Raoul Duke

In my opinion, tone is more important than loudness.
I hate obnoxiously loud exhaust; whether it be on jacked-up redneck trucks or modified sport compacts. It just irritates the hell out of me.
I have the Dynomax setup on my '96 and I love it. It's very muted and mellow, but you can still immediately tell it has a V8 when I ease into the throttle. I think it's the perfect balance of tone and loudness - soft, yet noticeable.

1996 Mercury Cougar XR7
4.6 - Dynomax-Equipped - Tranny Cooler - 3.27 T/L - 125k Miles
post #21 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 01:03 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
I'm not talking about mufflers whats bends and length got to do with sound its going to have a sound no matter what, I wonder if you know anything at all
Bends and length have nothing to do with sound?...

Probably the newest of newbies can tell you that pipe length and bends WILL have a huge effect on sound. Even a person that doesn't even care or like cars can tell you that. I would imagine your everyday tree hugger can even tell you that pipe length and bend degree can effect sound greatly. How can you be so ignorant that you can't understand that the longer the exhaust pipe the more sound you lose. The same goes for bends. The more bends you have (especially compression bends) the more sound you lose.

For example a popular SN95 NPI mustang modification is "dumped" pipes. Meaning the pipes end shortly after the mufflers (mid mounted) right where the differential punkin is. By "dumping" the exhaust the pipes lose overall length and also eliminate BENDS. Therefore increasing sound. But then again i would assume somebody as ignorant as you wouldn't know this simple fact because you still strongly believe that pipe length, bend severity, and number of bends have nothing to do with the amount of sound an exhaust will have...
post #22 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 01:11 AM
2nd Gear Poster

Dang Cody
you sure know how to stir up the natives with exhaust threads eh?

I remember the Mounty exhaust thread like it was yesterday-

[urlhttp://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/bettys-i-want-to-be-a-mule-progress-log-thread.329322/]My Ride[/url]
Others linked in signature there.
post #23 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 07:17 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBird View Post
Okay heres a video I made today. The camera doesnt pick up how loud the car truely is..
check it out

yep sounds like ****
post #24 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 07:19 AM
Voice/Data Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarcragar View Post
In my opinion, tone is more important than loudness.
I hate obnoxiously loud exhaust; whether it be on jacked-up redneck trucks or modified sport compacts. It just irritates the hell out of me.
I have the Dynomax setup on my '96 and I love it. It's very muted and mellow, but you can still immediately tell it has a V8 when I ease into the throttle. I think it's the perfect balance of tone and loudness - soft, yet noticeable.
Same mine set here as well

2017 Mustang GT 5.0L 2nd gen, cold air box,tune,6 speed auto,RGR 3.31, Magnaflow Tru X-pipe ,GT350RStrips
Gray Mustang Registry # 8582

post #25 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 11:04 AM
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017

A stock engine with no mufflers sound like a stock engine.
post #26 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 06:25 PM
Tim
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Bends and length have nothing to do with sound?...

Probably the newest of newbies can tell you that pipe length and bends WILL have a huge effect on sound. Even a person that doesn't even care or like cars can tell you that. I would imagine your everyday tree hugger can even tell you that pipe length and bend degree can effect sound greatly. How can you be so ignorant that you can't understand that the longer the exhaust pipe the more sound you lose. The same goes for bends. The more bends you have (especially compression bends) the more sound you lose.

For example a popular SN95 NPI mustang modification is "dumped" pipes. Meaning the pipes end shortly after the mufflers (mid mounted) right where the differential punkin is. By "dumping" the exhaust the pipes lose overall length and also eliminate BENDS. Therefore increasing sound. But then again i would assume somebody as ignorant as you wouldn't know this simple fact because you still strongly believe that pipe length, bend severity, and number of bends have nothing to do with the amount of sound an exhaust will have...
bends do have to do with the sound it will make more crackle and pop than anything, your not going to lose sound from bends nooblet. Funny having longer exhaust after a muffler will be louder and give a better sound than dumping it after a muffler. You lose
post #27 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 10:23 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
bends do have to do with the sound it will make more crackle and pop than anything, your not going to lose sound from bends nooblet. Funny having longer exhaust after a muffler will be louder and give a better sound than dumping it after a muffler. You lose
Longer exhaust huh. So your telling me an open long tube header is quieter than the same car with the same header but pipes running all the way to the rear?

Bends... especially compression bends which is what many of us have here because muffler shops with mandrel benders are damn rare... but bends do cause you to lose sound. Again as stated before compression bends make this even more so apparent. Obviously someone with low intelligence as yourself wouldn't make the observation that compression bends REDUCE the pipe diameter wherever the bends may be. Of course depending on how severe of a bend it is will determine just how much diameter you lose. Now to the rational person this would mean reduced sound. Unless your now going to tell me that pipe diameter has nothing to do with sound either... in which i wouldn't be surprised.

Also better sound is subjective. I never mentioned anything about which sound is better... sound is a matter of opinion. Loudness is not...

Funny how "i lose" but you never prove your points. You just open your mouth and a strong smelling brown substance suddenly pours out. If that was too complicated for you, the brown substance would be poop.

Tim... This forum is to help eachother learn about these cars. Share experiences, ask questions, and overall benefit from eachother. So please tim... lets not give any more false information out to those actually looking for correct, rational information about these cars. You clearly know very little about exhaust components so lets not spread that ignorance to others.

Oh BTW... Can i have the number to your drug dealer? He must have the good sh*t...
post #28 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 10:53 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Look what good ol trusty google found for me...

Hey would yah look at that... Page 1 "shorter means louder" by multiple people...

http://fordtruckworld.tenmagazines.c...os=1&id=529176

I would search more but im a little busy today, the above link was just what i could find on the first page...

For those observing this back and fourth conversation. Think about it like this... Ever hear a car with electric exhaust cut outs? What i'm saying is with the cut outs OPEN the car gets louder. correct? Sometimes it is exponentially louder depending on how many bends the exhaust has. By opening the cut out the exhaust "skips" the bends and extra pipe and just exits directly through the cut out... Thus creating an insane amount of increase in sound output...

Now from what Tim is saying you open the exhaust cut out and the exhaust gets quieter. According to tim by having the exhaust exit through the pipe and bends running to the rear of the car you will have the same sound as the cut out open, maybe even more.

I think you can make a fair assumption on what is correct and what isn't just by using common sense and being logical here.
post #29 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFanatic View Post
yep sounds like ****
I know it sounds like s#!t. Im one of those people that likes to change my exhaust set up until I find the one I like. Its not about the money... Its Trying something new and trial and error. like I said in Post number one Iam gonna put a super 44 3" C/C to offset that anoying sound...and give it a deeper rumble which I love in these cars
post #30 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 12:40 AM
Tim
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Look what good ol trusty google found for me...

Hey would yah look at that... Page 1 "shorter means louder" by multiple people...

http://fordtruckworld.tenmagazines.c...os=1&id=529176

I would search more but im a little busy today, the above link was just what i could find on the first page...

For those observing this back and fourth conversation. Think about it like this... Ever hear a car with electric exhaust cut outs? What i'm saying is with the cut outs OPEN the car gets louder. correct? Sometimes it is exponentially louder depending on how many bends the exhaust has. By opening the cut out the exhaust "skips" the bends and extra pipe and just exits directly through the cut out... Thus creating an insane amount of increase in sound output...

Now from what Tim is saying you open the exhaust cut out and the exhaust gets quieter. According to tim by having the exhaust exit through the pipe and bends running to the rear of the car you will have the same sound as the cut out open, maybe even more.

I think you can make a fair assumption on what is correct and what isn't just by using common sense and being logical here.
you dont get it, i said true duals are loud and you claimed your single to be louder and i am trying to tell you that you are wrong and you throw in a bunch of bs no shorter exhaust is not quieter for god sakes. I think this has really gotten to you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in