why me.. now what should i do? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 01:54 AM Thread Starter

Angry why me.. now what should i do?

as if my car need to be plaqued by more problems... ok so as you all know my original exhaust rusted thru just behind the resonator so i cut off the rusted bit that was left and welded on a downtube.. well.. went to the junk yard (insearch of a new transmission btw) and pulled the entire exhaust off the car i got the tranny from.
got home with the goodies. put my car on stands and rolled under her on my crawler and removed my exhaust, and installed the new one. (just for checking it out) only to find that my cats are completely blown.. as it covered about 6 feet of my driveway with carbon buildup when i started her up. and i have no power what so-ever..(she wont rev over 2100 RPM) would it be cheaper to just straight pipe it into a maganaflow Di/Do and then into 2 freeflow resonators or should i just get some high flow cats and fab up a Y-pipe and call it a day?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 11:04 AM
Xan
2nd Gear Poster

I'd go the high flow cat route, you allready got the rest of the exhaust right? you can do it all pretty cheap just do it right the first time or you'll be wasting your time and money
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 02:35 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via MSN to 94fastbird
catless!

Current Mods:
balanced & blueprinted block. by my dad & I @ (The Engine Shop INC.) i'm running manley forged i beam rods, forged manely .020 16cc dish pistons, forged 8 bolt crankshaft thats been polished, corba high volume oil pump, block has been align bored & decked. ported and polished early production heads, heads have been milled, 3 angle valve grind, ported exhaust manifolds, gasket matched intake, dual inlet dual outlet dynomax turbo muffler underseat with 3inch turndowns. transmission heavy duty clutches, b&m shift kit, frrp t lock with 373.
Future Mods:
pi swap with some comp cams and the new trickflow intake, high stall torque converter and mark 8 drive shaft, kooks 3/4 lenth headers and xcal2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 02:41 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
are the cats bad from from the exhaust you got? ...if so why not use your stock front half and use the "new" rear half

-Matt
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 12:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
are the cats bad from from the exhaust you got? ...if so why not use your stock front half and use the "new" rear half
becasue theyre both bad lol. i just figured itd be easier for me to go catless into the magnaflow Di/Do and out thru some freeflows cuz i have alot of friends (mostly all these florida rednecks lol!) that bend pipe all the time for their trucks so i figured id ask them to bend up some stuff for me and ill weld it together

im just trying to get opinions here lol because i hated the constant drone at 2.1krpm @60-80mph... i cant hear my stereo.. i mean.. cmon lol
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 01:04 AM

A better stereo will make that drone go away . You just answered your own question. Go with the plan since you have a source to get the pipes from. Just my $.02.

Lorne
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

well i cant really hear my 15" high in the trunk because (besides the head units preamp) theres no real power going to them. i need to re wire them instead of just splicing them into my 6x9's
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 10:14 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Either get you some universal high-flow cats or have your buddies bend you some custom catless downtubes. Don't forget the bungs for the o2 sensors though. If your cats were that bad, you may have bad o2 sensors too. I would recommend replacing the upstream o2 sensors for sure if you're throwing a code. The downstream o2 sensors aren't that big of a deal. These cars are way louder without cats.

\,,/
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

i dont even know how many codes this thing is throwing.. and right now with all the other problems i find every day.. i dont want to know
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 01:09 PM
Xan
2nd Gear Poster

Well i personally believe in throwing the environment a bone every once in a while. So thats why i say go with a couple universal high flow cats. It will lower your sound and make your O2s, MAP sensor, and EGR last longer and work better also. When you think egr you probably think emissions POS but maybe you should take a look here EGRs (check out the "other notes" section, you'll be surprised) . As for your old O2s they can be cleaned, but you gotta get the right cleaner for it, ask your auto parts store for advice on cleaners.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 03:32 PM
PostWhore

I have a high flow cat that I used in my bird for about 6 months. About 3,000 miles use. It was custom done with a Single in and dual out after the cat. I could sell it to you cheap..$55 shipped. I believe it was a magnaflow cat also. Its been sitting on my self for about 1 year now.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 03:58 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via MSN to 94fastbird
i dont know what the emissions are in florida, but my first exhaust setup was front cats gutted, 2.5 pipe to a home built x pipe, all the way back to hooker aero chamber mufflers with 3 inch tips. and there was hardly any drone, sounded very good too. i just didn't feel like spending the extra 100 and some odd dollars for a good set of high flows.

Current Mods:
balanced & blueprinted block. by my dad & I @ (The Engine Shop INC.) i'm running manley forged i beam rods, forged manely .020 16cc dish pistons, forged 8 bolt crankshaft thats been polished, corba high volume oil pump, block has been align bored & decked. ported and polished early production heads, heads have been milled, 3 angle valve grind, ported exhaust manifolds, gasket matched intake, dual inlet dual outlet dynomax turbo muffler underseat with 3inch turndowns. transmission heavy duty clutches, b&m shift kit, frrp t lock with 373.
Future Mods:
pi swap with some comp cams and the new trickflow intake, high stall torque converter and mark 8 drive shaft, kooks 3/4 lenth headers and xcal2
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 06:23 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94fastbird View Post
i dont know what the emissions are in florida, ...
Emissions tests. We-all don't do that down here, boy. State don't need the money. Got plenty-a tourists to harvest in these here parts.

On the other hand, one never knows where one may be in the future...

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

back before i think it was 70 or 71 they used to have car inspections.. i remember my grandfather telling me he used to buy a new car the day before the inspection so they wouldnt inspect it
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 08:20 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickysilvertbird View Post
back before i think it was 70 or 71 they used to have car inspections.. i remember my grandfather telling me he used to buy a new car the day before the inspection so they wouldnt inspect it
emissions inspections under around 2000-2001. Only time I ever had the car inspected was in '99.

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

glad i moved here newyears day of 05 then lol
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 02:19 PM
2nd Gear Poster

hmmm....

STEP 1- move to Alabama.

STEP 2- remove hood permanantly

STEP 3-weld 8 metal pipes onto the holes where the exhaust manifold goes, angle them straight up to blast your fumes directly into the atmosphere

STEP 4- enjoy

MTT-0208- Down the rope and kill! -AIR ASSAULT!
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzaakk11 View Post
hmmm....

STEP 1- move to Alabama.

STEP 2- remove hood permanantly

STEP 3-weld 8 metal pipes onto the holes where the exhaust manifold goes, angle them straight up to blast your fumes directly into the atmosphere

STEP 4- enjoy
That sounds like the best idea. Do it like the demolition derby guys.

But really, the dual exhaust is nice. I say do the first option.

Drive out here to California and my guy at OC MUFFLERMAN will hook you up. lol
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

will they pay for gas and a new transmission too? lol i dont think this thing would make it that far in the condition its in..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in