cherry bomb - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

cherry bomb

well as yo all know i have no exhaust.. lol.. shopping around friday i found a good deal on a cherry bomb Di/Do for $72.. the guy said it gav it the sound of having a rough idlecam.. but with stock cams (if that made sense) which is kinda what im lookig for since i dont have $5-600 for a new set of cams and a new timing cahin.. lol.. do any of you have this on your cars? a sound clip would be great.. im probably going to get it anyways but i just wanted to hear it when i get them ill make sure to post a vid.. if my mom will give my camera back..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 12:05 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 95xbird Send a message via MSN to 95xbird
Not sure how it would sound.Cherry bombs give a raspy sound.I have a couple of glasspacks I was thinking about putting on my exhaust in place of my Dynomax mufflers.The mufflers I have now are way to quiet for my taste.

04 PI swap,SVO Supercharger 8-9 psi,Alcohol injection,39lbs Cobra injectors,XCal2-Walbro 255 LPH fuel pump,4.10 T-Lok,2003 4R70W built to withstand by RobertP,450hp JMOD,3800 circleD stall,trucool 4739 Trans Cooler,Dynotech 3.5 Driveshaft,70mm T/B,SCP Cold Air Intake,90mm LMAF,JBA headers,Magnaflow Midmount,No cats with 3inch piping,Vogtland 1.6inch drop,Cobra R's and xenon body kit.

Its slow, Really.
LS1 KILLER
1995 svo Tbird. R.I.P.
Parts FOR SALE http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=132585
96 Pearl white bird. Awaiting transplants from the 95
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 12:22 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to MadGoat Send a message via MSN to MadGoat
I've had some experience with the cherry bombs. I used one on a friends 4.3 v6 silverado. Sounded great. Gave a good V8 sound and didnt drone at all! BUT! The 4.6 is always hard to get a good sound out of. (as most of use have been and are always in pursuit of the "PERFECT" 4.6 note)

A couple of suggestions I might add from my experience only:

If adding a muffler of any sort, always mid-mount. The tone and note you get is much more classy with the rest of the pipe to the rear of the vehicle.

One other thing i've noticed is to try to keep something with wadding on the exhaust system. (glasspack, straight through type race muffler) Without headers the 4.6 can makes some annoying high tones that need to be absorbed with wadding.

just my .02

~MG~

MadGoat's Birds
94 Thunderbird LX 4.6L PI
03 Aluminum PI Engine, J-Mod, Aluminum one piece drive shaft, 3.27's, 2.5" to single 3" custom MagnaFlow exhaust, 07 17x8 Bullit Wheels
97 Thunderbird LX 4.6L V8
RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGoat View Post
I've had some experience with the cherry bombs. I used one on a friends 4.3 v6 silverado. Sounded great. Gave a good V8 sound and didnt drone at all! BUT! The 4.6 is always hard to get a good sound out of. (as most of use have been and are always in pursuit of the "PERFECT" 4.6 note)

A couple of suggestions I might add from my experience only:

If adding a muffler of any sort, always mid-mount. The tone and note you get is much more classy with the rest of the pipe to the rear of the vehicle.

One other thing i've noticed is to try to keep something with wadding on the exhaust system. (glasspack, straight through type race muffler) Without headers the 4.6 can makes some annoying high tones that need to be absorbed with wadding.

just my .02

~MG~
oh sure.. i comment you on myspace and you get on here.. lmao jk..

i want to mid mount it but i also dont want that "underwater" sound you get from maybe a mid mount flowmaster or thrush Di/Do.. i have a mid mount thrush turbo DiDo on an'05 gay mans chevy with the 5.8(???) vortech V-8 and if you stand far enough away it sounds like a diesel and i hate it.. lol
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 06:00 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to FunktasticLucky
5.7L and thats my problem with mid mounts... mid mounts seem to drone as some point in teh RPM range extremely loud inside the car. not my thing. My 77 Cougar had Glass Packs on it but it was a 5.8L pushrod with 2.5in true duals. Sounded great actually but Push Rods always sound meaner than our modulars. Push Rods just give a throaty sound.

2018 Lincoln MKZ Black Label 3.0T AWD
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

well the drone i dot care about cuz most of the time i have the windows open and have all 8 of my 6"X8" thumpin as hard as they can i just want something thatll scare small children and make the ricers think twice before they find out how slow my car really is... lmao
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 08:30 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickysilvertbird View Post
well the drone i dot care about cuz most of the time i have the windows open and have all 8 of my 6"X8" thumpin as hard as they can i just want something thatll scare small children and make the ricers think twice before they find out how slow my car really is... lmao
I dont think so, Bro. the glasspacks I've had/heard on earlier motors (My 69 vette motor, old flatheads) are a totally different sound than what you've got right now. it's killer for sure, but a deep, backpressured sound, "Midrange" tone, god forgive me, my guess, would sound like a really punchy, loud riceburner with
Supertrapps......lolfof
Completely different that open pipes on a 281 would probably sound.. It's noisy, for sure, but more like a 'low midrange' tone... bap,bap,bap, you can't mistake it for anything else, its distinctive as hell on the street, but only with a completely non-restrictive setup from the headers back ( I think you have...). You'll turn heads, and its a unique sound, for sure. Bottom line, it'll get attention, that's for sure... all IMO....
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

lol well seeing as how my third cat decided to fall of today.. i have a pretty distinctive sound lol got pulled over for noise pollution and i told him it wasnt aftermarket so he didnt gove me a ticket.. lol and i would love to have the loping sound of the cams in my exhaust but again i dont have the $$$ for a set of rough idles... thats why im going with the cherry bomb Di/Do cuz it gives you that sound for some reason.. (the guy had one on his 96 cougar)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in