New exhaust sound question - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Juice Send a message via MSN to Juice Send a message via Yahoo to Juice
Question New exhaust sound question

I had a Magnaflow catback system installed recently. It starts at the part where you can unbolt the stock exhaust right behind the 3rd cat, and goes 3" (I think, it may actually be 2.5") pipe to the rear where it splits off to 2.25" pipe to each muffler.

I asked the guy who put it in if it would be worth it to do a di/do 3rd cat and dual all the way back. He said it wouldn't really make a difference for the extra price of the cat.

The exhaust sounds good at idle. It's not that loud, but definitely has a deeper grumble. Once I get under way, it kind of sounds like a V6, like it's running at a higher RPM. Bottom line, it doesn't really sound like a V8 should. I know it is a small V8, but it still doesn't sound quite right to me.

One, does anyone know what I mean by how this thing sounds? And two, is there any way to change this sound to something I little more V8ish? True dual?

Thanks in advance!

I put the sexy in dyslexia.
Chaos Journey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice View Post
I had a Magnaflow catback system installed recently. It starts at the part where you can unbolt the stock exhaust right behind the 3rd cat, and goes 3" (I think, it may actually be 2.5") pipe to the rear where it splits off to 2.25" pipe to each muffler.

I asked the guy who put it in if it would be worth it to do a di/do 3rd cat and dual all the way back. He said it wouldn't really make a difference for the extra price of the cat.

The exhaust sounds good at idle. It's not that loud, but definitely has a deeper grumble. Once I get under way, it kind of sounds like a V6, like it's running at a higher RPM. Bottom line, it doesn't really sound like a V8 should. I know it is a small V8, but it still doesn't sound quite right to me.

One, does anyone know what I mean by how this thing sounds? And two, is there any way to change this sound to something I little more V8ish? True dual?

Thanks in advance!
run something through your third cat.. (i used a 3 foot cro-bar ) itll knock out akll the stuff inside the cat and open it up into a sort of resonator..
just make sure to crank the car and give it a good free rev at WOT before you bolt the rest back up so it will blow everything you loosened up out and not send it through your nice new exhaust..
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Juice Send a message via MSN to Juice Send a message via Yahoo to Juice
I do plan on having this car pass smog again. No thanks.

Chaos Journey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice View Post
I do plan on having this car pass smog again. No thanks.
ah. sorry lol didnt see where you lived .. a single high flow cat maybe? i seem to remember someone on here having a single hi-flow "Y" cat for $50-60...
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 04:43 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to twin turbo 281
it will still pass smog even in cali. the cat monitors are after the first cats theres nothing that watches the 3rd. it will not throw a CEL and if you gut it it will pass visual

2x95 cougars to the scapper
97 F250 psd 4x4 dd twin charged
48 Gmc Detroit diesel 453t twin sticked
45 Chevy 451 detroit twin sticked
51 Mack A51T restoration
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

The only reason I said anything about the 3rd cat is because that is where the exhaust is di/so. I don't care that the 3rd cat is there. I'm fine with it being there and I'm not going to risk taking it off or gutting it and not have it pass smog.

The question I am asking is if it is the fact that the exhaust goes from dual, to single, to dual again through the stock cat is what is making it sound bad. Would it make a difference if I did a di/do cat and duals all the way back?

Thanks.

Chaos Journey
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 04:32 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

having cats makes a higher pitched sound as ive noticed. going true dual with a h pipe would produce a deeper sound thou. you may cosider different muffler? also ive noticed that having plenty of tail pipe after the mufflers it produces a better sound.

just throwing out an idea...keep the cats, have the magnas hacked off weld up some tail pipes, then buy a bassanni si/so centered at the needed pipe size and weld iti n after the 3rd cat

51 Mack A51T restoration

Last edited by twin turbo 281; 06-13-2008 at 04:40 AM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 08:24 AM
5th Gear Poster

to the OP yes a true duel setup will sound better...ie di/do from the middle and 2 pipes all the way back. that being said, is your setup not fairly new? down turn tips also make a slight difference. exhaust on these puny modular engines is tricky, trust me i know from my trials. i now run stock two front cats into a y-pipe use the stock squished single into two mufflers in there stock location. dynomax turbo's by the way.it sounds good enough and having a tune made a big difference IMHO. good luck with finding the sound you like.

Mods: The usual stuff... 3.73 Gears, J-mod, catless mandrel 2.5" true duals, Marauder Converter, Eibachs, Xcal2 and Phoenix Gold Audio, chrome 18's, etc. etc..
I joined the dark side...
2002 Mustang GT, FRPP Aluminator with Tork Tech MP112 intercooled S/C at 17PSI, with all the supporting mods.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

I put it on last week, so fairly new. I had the tips turned down so that it looks very similar to the stock exhaust.

Just to test it out, I unbolted the exhaust right behind the 3rd cat and started it up. Doing that made it sound the exact same, but louder. That means whatever is making it sound high pitched is coming from somewhere up front. This was a good comparison for my mufflers too. I think with the right changes up front, those mufflers will sound pretty good.

If I get a di/do cat, which one should I get? Mufflers are Magnaflow.

Thanks.

Chaos Journey
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 10:19 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

see like i told you earlier ...cats create the high pitched sound the only way around that is to ditch the 3rd cat and add 2 high flows if you want

51 Mack A51T restoration
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

I won't pass KALIFORNIA smog without the 3rd cat. And even if it would, I don't want to chance it somehow failing and me having to spend more money to fix it. Unless, by ditching, you meant replacing it with something else.

What parts would I be needing to get to accomplish this?

Thanks

Chaos Journey
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 03:02 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

read this threadhttp://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=109336part #23343 by magnaflow is a direct fit cat exhaust for our cars it retails for around 300$

51 Mack A51T restoration

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in