muffler delete 96 t bird - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

muffler delete 96 t bird

i just had my t bird dropped off at my house...looks nice just needs to be washed and waxed.

i was wondering..if i cut off the mufflers out back how much pipe or how long of a tip would i need to fit in place of them and what is the diameter of the stock pipes?

thanks

Matt W.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 07:45 PM
PostWhore

i think the stock pipes maybe 2 1/4 use a tape measurer and measure the diameter of it just to be safe

if i were you i would simply cut the exhaust pipes right after the bend in the rear

i'll get a pic of my s/c and post the image for you

O&E Speed Shop - 2333 Aberdeen St. Kenner, LA
EFI Calibrator - decipha @ EFIDynoTuning
http://www.efidynotuning.com/tune.htm
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

okay thanks

Matt W.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 09:14 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

The pipe going straight into the mufflers is 2-inch.

Deleting ones mufflers is sort of idiot-proof, but here's a quick guide just in case. It kinda sounds like butt afterwards, but its all a matter of opinion:
http://www.cintcc.com/assets/tech/muffler_delete.html

\,,/
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

i was just listening to your video on youtube....i kinda like the way it sounds. its just temporary anyway, i hate the stock exhaust.

i want tips like the ones you have in the video...not the turndowns. what kind of tips are they..were the rubbing the bumper at all?

Matt W.

Last edited by ChiTownTBird815; 06-19-2008 at 11:41 PM.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 09:23 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
no mufflers gets old fast, but then again i dont like silence either

-Matt
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
no mufflers gets old fast, but then again i dont like silence either
what do you mean it gets old fast?

Matt W.

post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 09:32 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdub312 View Post
what do you mean it gets old fast?
the sound of it on a daily commute, between 1200 and 3000 rpm's it drones like crazy

-Matt
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
the sound of it on a daily commute, between 1200 and 3000 rpm's it drones like crazy
ill second that! heres an in car vid of my 95 with everything unbolted from the resonator back.. enjoy (oh and i hope you arent wearing headphones..)

**edit**oh and ignore the boost guage..
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

drone is my friend lol....i know im crazy but i like drone noise, doesnt bother me one bit.

i got corsa straight pipes my escalade, love the sound. basicly sounds like this...(this is not me btw)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enDNxEt0HhE

Matt W.

post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 10:01 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
drone is my friend lol....i know im crazy but i like drone noise, doesnt bother me one bit.

i got corsa straight pipes my escalade, love the sound. basicly sounds like this...(this is not me btw)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enDNxEt0HhE

your 16 and drive a 08 escalade?? oh and a lot of things don't bother you when you are 16, most ppl on here that say they hate drone are 20's and up and have had many exhaust setups and realize drone sucks lol not bashing your young age by any means

most people talk, but few are up for the moment
-where there's money and imagination, there's cool cars
ohhh the Junkyard , one man's trash is another man's treasure

1993 3.8L Tbird----sold
1994 4.6L Tbird----sold
1995 Mark VIII----sold
2004 Mustang GT----sold
2003 Mach 1----current
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty2919 View Post
, most ppl on here that say they hate drone are 20's and up and have had many exhaust setups and realize drone sucks
well if you really want me to be 2 years older... i wouldnt mind,... lol then i might actually look my age boo for drone.. lol i hate my exhaust.. yea it scares the hell out of ricers but its annoying as **** to me.. but i have to leave it off other wise my car wont run (clogged cats...)
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty2919 View Post
your 16 and drive a 08 escalade?? oh and a lot of things don't bother you when you are 16, most ppl on here that say they hate drone are 20's and up and have had many exhaust setups and realize drone sucks lol not bashing your young age by any means
yep i drive a 08 escalade lol.....and yeah the no mufflers is just temporary until i start doin some serious mods i dont wanna put a ton of money into a true dual 2.5 system yet i just want somethin that sounds mean(er) than the stock exhaust without spending much.

Matt W.

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 05:32 PM
$.25 poster

Send a message via AIM to AlpineBird
I had it for about a month before the drone drove me crazy. And I thought it wouldn't bother me because my jeep is ungodly loud, but no...I hated it. Loud exhaust and droney exhaust are two very different things.

'96 Alpine Bird 281ci
- Clear Corners
- DynoMax Cat-Back
- Purchased with 36,000 miles, now at 101k
- No mods planned untill it's DD life is over

1998 5.9 Limited Grand Cherokee
- Flowmaster Exhaust
- AEM Brute Force Intake
- Mopar Performance ECU

- 275hp-395ft/lbs at the crank (est.) Track results in the spring!!!
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 11:47 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to FunktasticLucky
I'll 2nd what alpine says. I have had a VERY loud exhaust. 351 with 2.5inch exhaust to Glass Packs. No cats. Mother was very very loud but there was no drone in it. It actually was very pleasant on road trips cuz at 80 you could hear the exhaust and not cuz of drone. Just cuz it was loud. It was actually a great cruising car. we'll see how loud my Tbird is when I get it finsihed.

As for the mufflers... I cut them off my 96 cougar cuz I wanted louder exhaust. It sounds like totall ass. I'm not going to lie. And it drones inside VERY VERY BADLY. At first I was like whatever I can deal with it... yeah 1.5 weeks later I was saving up for a custom exhaust cuz I couldn't stand it at all. if you wanna get louder buy a set of borlas or something and have a custom exhaust made up that deletes the 3rd cat. or find a cheap cat back exhaust and swap out hte mufflers. The pipes going into the mufflers are actually slightly smaller than 2 inches. Do what you want but I'm telling you it sounds like total poo.

2018 Lincoln MKZ Black Label 3.0T AWD
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

if i just cut off the muffler would glasspacks with turndown tips fit in place of them using the same process as just going with straight pipes?(like the hangars and clamps etc...

Matt W.

post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 02:57 PM

Quote:
if i just cut off the muffler would glasspacks with turndown tips fit in place of them using the same process as just going with straight pipes?(like the hangars and clamps etc...
youll get tired of the glasspacks fairly quickly too... i had a set of 50/50 generic glasspacks on my F150 and a month later i went with a magnaflow Di/Do because the drone was so bad.. if anything theres a Cherrybomb Di/Do muffler that give you that loud "big cam" sound.. but the only place ive found it was midas.. go to midas buy the muffler, cut your third cat off and have an exhaust shop mid mount the cherrybomb and run it back.. its sounds badass.. i have it on my 96 and i get people asking me what kinda of cams i have whenever i drive it..
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

does midas do good exhaust work ive never gone to them for much...if they do i might just have that done. do you have a sound clip of your setup like that?

i wanna do true duals eventually, my shop was gonna do it next week, but i dont feel like puttin big bucks into this car right now...

and i still would like to know if i got 18" glasspacks would that work with the same proccess as just putting the 18 inch tubing there with tips

Matt W.

Last edited by ChiTownTBird815; 06-21-2008 at 06:20 PM.
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 06:24 PM
PostWhore

i just deleted my mufflers on my 95 mark 8 and it isn't THAT bad. there is a little drone but nothing to cry about. its still not loud enough for me though. so tomorrow the resonator is coming out and im putting a straight pipe in. dame mufflers were huge though lol

1993 3.8L Tbird----sold
1994 4.6L Tbird----sold
1995 Mark VIII----sold
2004 Mustang GT----sold
2003 Mach 1----current
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 06:27 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickysilvertbird View Post
youll get tired of the glasspacks fairly quickly too... i had a set of 50/50 generic glasspacks on my F150 and a month later i went with a magnaflow Di/Do because the drone was so bad.. if anything theres a Cherrybomb Di/Do muffler that give you that loud "big cam" sound.. but the only place ive found it was midas.. go to midas buy the muffler, cut your third cat off and have an exhaust shop mid mount the cherrybomb and run it back.. its sounds badass.. i have it on my 96 and i get people asking me what kinda of cams i have whenever i drive it..

don't touch the 3rd cat if you have visual inspections when the emissions test is done. and if not, then still don't touch it unless you know your front 2 cats are working well enough. just a heads up. but if no one looks and they work great, then hack away.

1993 3.8L Tbird----sold
1994 4.6L Tbird----sold
1995 Mark VIII----sold
2004 Mustang GT----sold
2003 Mach 1----current
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickysilvertbird View Post
and do you by chance know the model name of the muffler? or do you think midas's website would have it?

Matt W.

post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 08:10 PM

Quote:
and do you by chance know the model name of the muffler? or do you think midas's website would have it?
i only found it by walk in.. just walk in to your local midas and ask them if they have the cherrybomb Di/Do muffler
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

o okay...do you have a clip of what it sounds like?

Matt W.

post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 08:17 PM

i wish i did... id have it plastered all over every webpage i could get my hands on.. lol
no sadly i had to leave my 96 tbird with my grandfather in tennessee because i cant afford the insurance on both of them here in florida..
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

ahh i c...well ill go to midas monday and check it out..see what they have. i was just on their website lookin at their performance exhaust link and it says most midas' carry flowbastards....i cant stand the sound of them so if thats all they have im wanna go with glasspacks, if i find out it will work.

i dont see a problem in it as long as the muffler is 18 inches long like the tubing would be. i heard one with glasspacks and it was much more mellow and not raspy like straight pipes, i liked the sound much better. and hedman hedders makes the 18" glasspack that i think will work

Matt W.

post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 09:03 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to FunktasticLucky
Midas will not do custom exhaust systems... they will put some flow masters or something on there but they will only replace the actual exhaust system with stock. Single down the middle type thing. I would find a back woods mechanic shop and have them do it. thats what I did. I already had the mufflers and they charged me about 110 bux to bend the pipes and hang them all. They cut off the 3rd cat and just attached it thee. I highly recommend an H Pipe or X pipe.

2018 Lincoln MKZ Black Label 3.0T AWD
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunktasticLucky View Post
Midas will not do custom exhaust systems... they will put some flow masters or something on there but they will only replace the actual exhaust system with stock. Single down the middle type thing. I would find a back woods mechanic shop and have them do it. thats what I did. I already had the mufflers and they charged me about 110 bux to bend the pipes and hang them all. They cut off the 3rd cat and just attached it thee. I highly recommend an H Pipe or X pipe.
i never said get it done at midas.. just buy the muffler..
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 09:44 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to SignofTheCat94 Send a message via Yahoo to SignofTheCat94
Check out Advance Auto and Murray's; they have some cherry bomb stuff as well; usually pretty cheap. If you want some extra rumble on the cheap, try removing the 3rd cat and resonator, replace it with a glasspack and delete the rear mufflers. Most say it sound good, but I find it a bit "droney".

Mods? Do the ones in the garage waiting to go on the car count?

Many thanks to my fellow Veterans; I am honored to be a part of your ranks.
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 09:54 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

loud!!

Hello

My 351W is too loud. I wish I had Mufflers.
At 6000rpm Open pipes, dumping out the sides. soo loud I can barely hear my scanner, with headphones & Helmet on.

I can hear during cautions when not touching the gas.

Paul

Paul [email protected]
1990 Thunderbird Circle Track Street Stock
351W 2bbl.
C-4 Auto
3.90 open rear
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignofTheCat94 View Post
Check out Advance Auto and Murray's; they have some cherry bomb stuff as well; usually pretty cheap. If you want some extra rumble on the cheap, try removing the 3rd cat and resonator, replace it with a glasspack and delete the rear mufflers. Most say it sound good, but I find it a bit "droney".
for now im not gonna mess with the cats..eventually i will. im just gonna find somethin i can do in my garage....cutting off the mufflers is easy enough, i just gotta find something that sounds nice that will go in place of them.

Matt W.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in