flowmaster cat-back - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

flowmaster cat-back

would this system work on the 96 4.6? it says its for 92-96 5.0 (and 3.8) but the 95 and 96's have the 4.6(and i think the 94).

on most cars i absolutly hate the sound of flowmasters, but a guy i met 2 days ago had flows on his car(not sure if it was this cat-back or not) with all the cats and resonator still intact and it actually sounded pretty nice. might be the only time you will hear me say flowmasters sound nice.

any helpful info is appreciated.

Matt W.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 04:12 AM

As long as it is 92+ it will work. Flowmaster doesn't have their site info correct. The resonator is an optional item on the 4.6L and will replace the third cat.

I have the system and am very happy with it, but you are definitely going to want to change the turn downs exiting the muffler. The ones they have are horrible looking.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

perfect. yeah they are terrible looking even from the pictures.

do you have pictures of your setup, or at least the tips you used and how to get rid of and change them out?

http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/pr...579c1ac09623c2

makin sure we are talkin about the same one...i forgot to post in in my original post

Matt W.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 12:23 PM

Yes that's the same kit. The only picture I have is this:

Since this was taken I've removed the body kit and put polished tips exiting straight out.

--Chris

Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

lol..we have the same t bird basicly. mines the same color and same year. just not a 4.6 swap.

what length and diameter were the tips you used...and did you weld or clamp them on?

Matt W.

post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 03:45 PM

They were welded and I believe they are 2.25".

--Chris

Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 03:54 PM

You can kind of see them in the 5th picture down of my swap thread:

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=107985

--Chris

Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

alright thanks

Matt W.

post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pegToA4Em0s

yours doesnt sound like this does it? the one i heard didnt and he had headers, but this one has all the cats and resonator removed. (im pretty sure this is a members car here, i recognize the car)

no offense but i dont like the way that sounds. it should change a bit with keeping the cats and resonator right?...give it more of a growl/rumble than all the raspy and crackly. even though flowbastards are naturally raspy and crackly

Matt W.

post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 11:17 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Yeah that's my car. I have since removed that setup. It sounds 10x worse in real life than in that video. LOL. I'm going to add cats and/or a resonator and try it again soon. I will be putting that same setup on a stock 95 Bird with all three cats this weekend. I can post a video of it if you like.

\,,/
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

yeah that would be great if you could post a video. how hard/easy is it to install...it doesnt seem like it should be that difficult.

when you took the system off did you just put the stock cat-back back on?

Matt W.

post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 01:04 AM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by master486 View Post
Yes that's the same kit. The only picture I have is this:

Since this was taken I've removed the body kit and put polished tips exiting straight out.
car looks great man...im kinna jones'n for a body kit now.

pimp'n aint easy

mods: air silencer delete w/ k&n panel filter, magnaflow di/do tru duals w/all cats removed, sct 92 oct tune by blue oval chips, tokico advanced handling suspension kit

Last edited by strung; 07-15-2008 at 08:46 PM. Reason: changing my ignorant post
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 06:16 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdub312 View Post
yeah that would be great if you could post a video. how hard/easy is it to install...it doesnt seem like it should be that difficult.

when you took the system off did you just put the stock cat-back back on?
It's just two bolts at the center flange and then three rubber hangers. Very easy. Yeah, I put a stock rear half back on the car (from a '92 5.0). That rattle sound is still there but it's quieter. That's one side affect of going catless. Unless you have the right mufflers, it'll sound like ass. Catless with stock mufflers doesn't sound good at all is is very annoying. That's what I get for being a cheap-ass though. Unfortunately, the Flowmasters don't sound good catless either.

\,,/
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

yeah ive never heard flowmaster sound good without cats. unless its on like a old muscle car. and even then they still sound kind of bad.

how long did it take to get the system after you ordered it?

Matt W.

post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 03:13 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

I got the system off of a car at the junkyard. Cost less than $20.

\,,/
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

damn you...lucky bastard!

20 bucks for somethin that costs 400 bucks....i wish my luck was that good...and the t birds ive seen at yards dont even have exhaust systems on them anymore

Matt W.

post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 04:39 PM
4th Gear Poster

FYI, I've had two different catbacks. I'm partial to the Dynomax catback kit for visual- and sound-related reasons, but mine rusted out after 5 years of mostly southern (GA and TN) driving. The Flowmaster kit I have on it now was free.

According to all the literature I've ever seen, in both parts catalogs and Flowmasters stuff, the resonator that was mentioned in an earlier post is for V-6's. It's not intended to replace the third cat or even the factory resonator that was used on the 5.0's and the 94-95 4.6. 2" inlets, and one 2.5" outlet. Has anyone tried to put it on a V-8 headpipe? It attaches to the catback, and I can't imagine why the headpipes wouldn't line up on either V-6 or V-8 cars.

The Flowmaster kit elimates the factory resonator on the 5.0's and the 94-95 4.6's. Dynomax's kit attaches at the back of the factory resonator or the pipe Ford installed on the 96-97's.

Anyway, the best thing you can do with a Flowmaster catback (once you are set on using it) is to paint it with some decent hi-temp paint. Black hides the system's visual issues pretty well. On my 97, I painted mine black when I installed it 4 years ago, and it still looks good (no visible external rust). The Flowmaster kit I put on my 92 Sport (back in 1993) looked terrible after about 6 months of use, with rust and dark spots all over it.

The goofy muffler outlet turndowns and the odd muffler angles aren't as noticeable with a SC rear bumper or a 96-97 rear bumper. "Straight", "plumb", and "level" just aren't in Flowmaster's vocabulary.

97 LX, 4.6, Dynomax catback, Mustang MAF/intake tube and Aviator throttle body, Xcalibrator2 by Lonnie at BOC, 180 t-stat, Super Coupe wheels with 235/60/16's, Kenny Brown strut tower brace, Tokico Blues, Eibach Pro-kit, some strategically placed MN12 Performance polyurethane pieces, '02 Grand Marquis transmission

Submariners do it deeper...
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

what hi temp pain would you reccomend using.

im not set on the flowmaters yet, im going to wait for mikemelancholic to post the video of his install first, even though i heard it on a 95 before, but i just want to be sure it will sound the way i think it will.

Matt W.

post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 06:16 PM
Veteran Poster

Quote:
what hi temp pain would you reccomend using.
Branding iron heated to about 700 degrees?

Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strung View Post
dude...my boner just gained a whole inch in length...ur car is hawt...ive never seen a pic of it before.
Thanks for the compliment......but that is quite possibly the most disturbing thing I've ever read on here.

--Chris

Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideoiler View Post
Branding iron heated to about 700 degrees?
smart ass

here we go...

what HIGH TEMP PAINT would you reccomend i use??

Matt W.

post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 09:32 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

The pic I posted above was right after I painted mine with DupliColor high temp engine enamel. Well I have a set back on installing that exhaust on a '95. It turns out that the car's 3rd cat is completely rusted through. It'd be a waste of time to put that catback setup on that car right now. I look into more tomorrow and I'll let you know.

\,,/
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

alright, sounds good let me know.

oh yeah question about putting it on the 96....the whole thing just bolts up to the back of the 3 cat/resonator right.

because from what i hear on the 5.0 birds it replaces the 3rd cat.....but that could be wrong.

and does that duplicolor paint keep its color and strength a long time?

Matt W.

post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 01:06 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Your '96 doesn't have a resonator. The 3rd cat is the "Y" from the front cats. On '94/'95 V8 cars, there is a resonator after the 3rd cat. After the 3rd cat is a flange. Any stock '92+ MN12 rear exhaust (even the single exhaust from a V6) will bolt right up to that flange. The Flowmaster setup that I got didn't have the connector to the flange (the junk yard cut it off when they cut the cats). All I did was cut the piece I needed from my old stock exhaust. You shouldn't have that problem though. I would assume that if bought new, the setup would have the flange on it. If not, it would be fairly inexpensive to have an exhaust shop do it up.

\,,/
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 09:21 PM

Ya it should work cause the 5.0 and the 4.6 use almost all the same parts are interchangeable from one motor to another.
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 10:15 PM
Veteran Poster

Go custom...You'll be MUCH happier.

1997 Laser Red Thunderbird LX V8, grey cloth, third cat replaced with X-pipe, SLP Loudmouth 1's, 2.25" duals, (loud as all hell)
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 10:51 PM
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
alright, sounds good let me know.

oh yeah question about putting it on the 96....the whole thing just bolts up to the back of the 3 cat/resonator right.

because from what i hear on the 5.0 birds it replaces the 3rd cat.....but that could be wrong.

and does that duplicolor paint keep its color and strength a long time?

I know no one but me mentioned the Dynomax, but I'll clarify a little based on the catbacks on the 92 5.0 and the 97 4.6 models I've had.

None of the Flowmaster or Dynomax catbacks replaces the third cat on the V-8's. None... Would the resonator that Flowmaster sells for V-6 models do the trick? I don't know. Maybe, but I'd just replace it with a y-pipe instead. See Dan Ulrich's custom y-pipe on the exhaust gallery, 7th pic down in the left column.

With a little free-all or PB Blaster, install time for either kit is about an hour, once it's up on jack stands. I think I used Krylon hi-temp paint, from Wal*Mart. It has held up well; about 4 years now, but I don't do any hi-speed gravel driving, and as little winter driving as possible.

If you have a class II hitch, the Flowmaster mufflers will probably hit it occasionally. Only about 1/4" of clearance on either side, so I took my hitch off. I have a truck for those things now.

97 LX, 4.6, Dynomax catback, Mustang MAF/intake tube and Aviator throttle body, Xcalibrator2 by Lonnie at BOC, 180 t-stat, Super Coupe wheels with 235/60/16's, Kenny Brown strut tower brace, Tokico Blues, Eibach Pro-kit, some strategically placed MN12 Performance polyurethane pieces, '02 Grand Marquis transmission

Submariners do it deeper...

Last edited by terraplane8; 07-13-2008 at 10:59 PM.
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

question for you guys....what is the diameter of the pipe that is connected to the resonator(same as the tailpipes or what)

because what im thinking i want to do is just cut off the mufflers and throw on some straight pipes and tips and mid mount either a dynomax race bullet or a loudmouth 1 muffler after the 3rd cat...instead of the flowmasters.

i know i like the sound of both of those and it would probably be cheaper.

Matt W.

post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 08:28 AM
Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88TurboCoupeman01 View Post
Ya it should work cause the 5.0 and the 4.6 use almost all the same parts are interchangeable from one motor to another.
I get the creeping suspicion that that's incorrect.

- Alex B.
Ranger Up - Not everyone's war stories end in high school.

Out of the Thunderbird game for now.
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 11:36 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
question for you guys....what is the diameter of the pipe that is connected to the resonator(same as the tailpipes or what)

because what im thinking i want to do is just cut off the mufflers and throw on some straight pipes and tips and mid mount either a dynomax race bullet or a loudmouth 1 muffler after the 3rd cat...instead of the flowmasters.

i know i like the sound of both of those and it would probably be cheaper.
Piping going into the resonator is 2.25". Piping going into the mufflers is 2.00". On the stock exhaust, that is.

\,,/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in