exaust idea - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

exaust idea

well im going to get rid of my hack exaust setup for another one.,has anyone every thought of putting a glass pack and then a turbo style muffler and a tip in one single exaust pipe before it goes back to duals,and get rid of the duals of course
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 09:39 PM

Glass PAcks always sound good on anything just watch out in a bout 5 to 10 years u might get fiberglass just start spit out of the tail pipe but its reare to see that but has happend from what I been told. Has anyone else heard that.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 03:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to Black91SC
IMO glass packs are awful, hate the sound of em. i love the sound of magnaflow muffler not too loud but has a great tone, i have one 3 inch in/out straight thru muffler(turbo style) on my 3.8 turbo setup with 3inch exhaust and love it. also have a magnaflow on my tahoe.

i wouldnt run a glass pack, but its not my car and i dont have to listen to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 06:28 PM

actually glass pack does not sound that bad. I had the stock mufflers cut off and replaced with tips. I then had the resonator replaced with a 12" in length glass pack and it sounds decent. It is kind of loud, but I think if I add another glass pack along the lines or a round Magnaflow then it would sound pretty sweet.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 08:15 PM
5th Gear Poster

it kind of sounds like over kill to me why run a glasspack then a turbo muffler, id skip the glass pack and just use the muffler
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

i was thinking the just the glasspack or turbo mufler would not have enough back pressure,because i don't have any cats or resonators,i though it would be better than just a glasspack of muffler
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-BIRD 90 View Post
i was thinking the just the glasspack or turbo mufler would not have enough back pressure,because i don't have any cats or resonators,i though it would be better than just a glasspack of muffler
the only think the back pressure is really going to do is take away from your high end torque (IIRC) and itll help your gas mileage.. and no before anyone says it im not stupid.. running open cats i was getting 17-18mpg HIGHWAY.. i bolted up the ass end of my exhaust and gained 7-10MPG i get 23-25mpg on the highway now..

as for the glass packs.. its part of being young.. im already way over glass packs as i had dual GP's on my 93 F150 5.0... ***** was loud but the drone was unbelievable on my way to work (1 1/2 hours one way.. all highway..) so i hacked them off and rad a Di/Do magnaflow.. nice mellow tone when you pussyfoot the throttle but when you lean into it that **** gets loud.. people know your coming then.. hehe got pulled over many 'a' time' with that truck simply for the noise (couldnt keep my foot out of it..).. good thing my grandfather is a cop.. hehe
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickysilvertbird View Post
the only think the back pressure is really going to do is take away from your high end torque (IIRC) and itll help your gas mileage.. and no before anyone says it im not stupid.. running open cats i was getting 17-18mpg HIGHWAY.. i bolted up the ass end of my exhaust and gained 7-10MPG i get 23-25mpg on the highway now..

as for the glass packs.. its part of being young.. im already way over glass packs as i had dual GP's on my 93 F150 5.0... ***** was loud but the drone was unbelievable on my way to work (1 1/2 hours one way.. all highway..) so i hacked them off and rad a Di/Do magnaflow.. nice mellow tone when you pussyfoot the throttle but when you lean into it that **** gets loud.. people know your coming then.. hehe got pulled over many 'a' time' with that truck simply for the noise (couldnt keep my foot out of it..).. good thing my grandfather is a cop.. hehe
Back pressure doesn't help an engine make power under ANY circumstances, period. It hurts performance at all times. If you bolted up your exhaust and gained mileage, it's not because your car now has back pressure and performs better. It is because the exhaust gas is undergoing the scavenging effect, which helps make power and increases efficiency. Tuned long-tube headers work off of this principle. Engines don't gain 15-20 hp from these headers because all of a sudden there is more volume for the exhaust gases to flow. It is because they are tuned to produce the maximum scavenging effect possible. The only reason backpressure is wanted or needed is to utilize the EGR system on these cars because the system is set up to operate based upon readings of the pressure in the exhaust.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by master486 View Post
Back pressure doesn't help an engine make power under ANY circumstances, period. It hurts performance at all times. If you bolted up your exhaust and gained mileage, it's not because your car now has back pressure and performs better. It is because the exhaust gas is undergoing the scavenging effect, which helps make power and increases efficiency. Tuned long-tube headers work off of this principle. Engines don't gain 15-20 hp from these headers because all of a sudden there is more volume for the exhaust gases to flow. It is because they are tuned to produce the maximum scavenging effect possible. The only reason backpressure is wanted or needed is to utilize the EGR system on these cars because the system is set up to operate based upon readings of the pressure in the exhaust.
thanks for clearing that up chris and either way he wont really gain that much power with just an exhaust, if he did it properly and flashed the CPU to run without the egr it would work better at making a little more power correct?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickysilvertbird View Post
thanks for clearing that up chris and either way he wont really gain that much power with just an exhaust, if he did it properly and flashed the CPU to run without the egr it would work better at making a little more power correct?
You're right, exhaust is not an area to gain a lot of power with a stock to mild engine. If he did the exhaust work correctly, he could gain a noticeable amount, and the CPU wouldn't need to be adjusted for it to work right. Even with a great exhaust setup, there should be enough backpressure for the EGR to work properly, and turning off EGR nets a 0 hp increase in power.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by master486 View Post
You're right, exhaust is not an area to gain a lot of power with a stock to mild engine. If he did the exhaust work correctly, he could gain a noticeable amount, and the CPU wouldn't need to be adjusted for it to work right. Even with a great exhaust setup, there should be enough backpressure for the EGR to work properly, and turning off EGR nets a 0 hp increase in power.
yayz! i feels smrt! and i realized what i said about the EGR being turned of after i made the post lol
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 02:11 PM

Ya I want a set of Manaflow for my Birdy.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 11:49 AM
4th Gear Poster

On my 96 vic, I have no cats and long glass packs and no tailpipes.

I think it sounds great when driving around, but when on the interstate or highways it drones something aweful. It's not extremely loud, thank god, but is most annoying. I just turn up the radio

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in