Stock muffler mods - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to 94 Thunderbird XX
Stock muffler mods

I wanted to give the exhaust tone of my Bird a little attitude, but wasn't ready to buy aftermarket mufflers that I may or may not like, nor am I ready yet to go gonzo and replace the entire exhaust from front to back with true duals. Let's mod the stock mufflers in the rear a bit for now and see what happens.

I removed the whole rear section of the stock exhaust, from the resonator back.
After it was all out and lying on the ground, I could see that this was entirely one big piece, big mufflers and all. Wow. Must be a small fortune to replace with stock stuff, unless they've changed that to seperate pieces.
Anyway, I cut the top of the rear mufflers open with a plasma cutter in order to see how these mufflers were designed, and to modify the internals if I could. Seemed like a pretty good idea.
I've built plenty of mufflers before from scratch; my design, fab, assembly and welded so I wasn't worried about these. Forgot to take a pic of what these internals look like, but I drew a reference drawing if anyone else wants to see.

Please note that this simple drawing is not to scale, and is really only for reference. The red sections are where I modified. I simply cut these areas open with the plasma cutter, in order to give the exhaust a shorter path from inlet to outlet, then closed the casings back up. Not a big deal at all with the right tools. You'll never get a sawzall in there to do this.

The results were........disappointing. It made almost no change at all to the exhaust tone and loudness. I mean it did change, but in such a subtle way that it surely wasn't worth the time I put in. I'm guessing that since I'm keeping the cats and stock resonator on, not much is going to change at the back unless I ditch those huge rear mufflers altogether and run straight pipes in their place.
Probably do that instead now. I didn't want the car to get real loud, just give it a bit more 'tude in the exhaust sound. This mod didn't do it.

Delete my account.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 02:38 AM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Thanks. They've been cut open before. Here's a picture I saved from - I think it was - MN12 Performance before they went under.

Some people have just cut those cans off and run straight pipes. I've heard a few done that way and they don't sound to bad.

Exhaust sound is a matter of personal preference anyway.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 07-27-2008 at 02:46 AM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 12:34 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to Sxar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Thunderbird XX View Post
I'm guessing that since I'm keeping the cats and stock resonator on, not much is going to change at the back unless I ditch those huge rear mufflers altogether and run straight pipes in their place.
Probably do that instead now. I didn't want the car to get real loud, just give it a bit more 'tude in the exhaust sound. This mod didn't do it.
It will be louder, but I never cared for the sound that much beyond idle.. It drones pretty bad around 2,000 rpm. I am in the process of making several changes and the exhaust is one of them. It sounds like you have the ability to make changes if you do not like the straight pipes.

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Thanks for that pic, Trunk Monkey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey View Post
Exhaust sound is a matter of personal preference anyway.
100% agreed. To each their own.

FWIW, of course I ran the car a bit with the rear half of the exhaust off.....just two cats and that y-pipe chamber thing. No resonator. I thought it sounded good at idle, but touch the loud pedal and it droned pretty hardcore. Didn't take it out of town like that to get the full highway effect though. Didn't see the need, since putt-putting around town like that without even getting on it in any way was enough to drive me nuts. But at idle it sounded nice enough.

Anyway, I thought I'd share this DIY tip for anyone contemplating it just to say it's not worth the trouble; go straight pipes or aftermarket rear muffs. Or do up the whole exhaust how you want it in one full shot.

Delete my account.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 03:52 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to twin turbo 281
i built a custom muffler out of flowmaster it made the 4.6 sound motre like a 460 (as in it sounds like my gfs fathers f250 460 with flows)

very compact as well

2x95 cougars to the scapper
97 F250 psd 4x4 dd twin charged
48 Gmc Detroit diesel 453t twin sticked
45 Chevy 451 detroit twin sticked
51 Mack A51T restoration
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 10:05 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin turbo 281 View Post
i built a custom muffler out of flowmaster it made the 4.6 sound motre like a 460 (as in it sounds like my gfs fathers f250 460 with flows)

very compact as well
good work man! looks alot like the single chamber 10 series flowmaster offers. I use those and i love the sound. to cut down on the drone im gonna toss a dynomax bullit style muffler up further just before the H section. hope to have a chance to finish it sometime in the next two weeks.

well done on that custom flow.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 03:11 AM
Clueless Poster

Send a message via AIM to v8_superbirdy Send a message via Yahoo to v8_superbirdy
do you have any back pressure left after this though?

my other ride is an ambulance!
1997 V8 sport - first car - sold 6/7/10
2006 silver mustang gt premiumcustom made grill, frpp shorty headers, pypes cat back exhaust, hurst billet pro shifter,
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8_superbirdy View Post
How is that important?

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 05:06 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to twin turbo 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8_superbirdy View Post
yeah theres alot of u shaped baffels inside kinda like a spin tech but no quite. It was just for my temp exhaust while im building the TT kit

2x95 cougars to the scapper
97 F250 psd 4x4 dd twin charged
48 Gmc Detroit diesel 453t twin sticked
45 Chevy 451 detroit twin sticked
51 Mack A51T restoration
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 10:33 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
Venting the exhaust under the car will rust everything out eventually.

I rusted a Subaru in half that way...

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post
I rusted a Subaru in half that way...
They do that all by themselves anyway!

Delete my account.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 08:59 PM
Clueless Poster

Send a message via AIM to v8_superbirdy Send a message via Yahoo to v8_superbirdy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Thunderbird XX View Post
They do that all by themselves anyway!
lol...subaru hater...i hate those cars there so stupid.....world would be a safer and better place with out those stupid things...course they're always fun to laugh at with there 5inch fart cans n the back

my other ride is an ambulance!
1997 V8 sport - first car - sold 6/7/10
2006 silver mustang gt premiumcustom made grill, frpp shorty headers, pypes cat back exhaust, hurst billet pro shifter,
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 08:16 PM

I cut the mufflers off of mine and just replaced the piping and tips. It has a distinct, V8 sound, but on the highway it is quieter than our Neon that has a Flowmaster 40.

No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by beano1ill View Post
I cut the mufflers off of mine and just replaced the piping and tips. It has a distinct, V8 sound, but on the highway it is quieter than our Neon that has a Flowmaster 40.

Good to know, thanks. Just may have to give my rear muffs up to the Great Quiet Place in the Sky......if I don't like it that way, I can put some other muffs back on there no prob.

Just biding my time until I finally do up the complete system fronts to rears anyway....

Delete my account.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in