Good sounding cheap exhuast? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Good sounding cheap exhuast?

Hey guys,

I wanted to get some better sound from my exhaust. I want legal, loud and cheap. I was thinking about getting 2 dyno mufflers. Would they be quiet? my friend put 2 flowmaster on his neon(yuck) and it sounded like his cars stomach was turning over constantly. Would mine be as quiet as that with the dyno?

I really don't want to change my pipes or cats for now. Would that effect the sound very much? Should I just wait util I have like $600 to do it all?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 03:56 PM
PostSlut

just cut the rear mufflers off, get some 22 inch tips or soemthing, attatch them, and you will get some more sound.

Nick......................I'm back!!!
May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

That's not exactly legal is it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 03:59 PM

i dont think he means 22" tips... i think he meant 2 2" tips or something like that

and having no mufflers is illegal here... but what they can't see wont hurt them
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

I get pulled every once in a while. I really don't want them to have another reason to pull me. Will the dyno's just not sound loud?
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 04:06 PM
PostWhore

if you want perfectly legal and loud, it prob wont be cheap. cheap and loud would be no mufflers and no cats, straight pipes. loud and legal would be 2 high flow cats and maybe dynomax bullets out the back or glasspacks. so you'd still have cats and mufflers. all depends on who inspects your car,you could maybe get by on visual if they don't care but either way your going to have to pass emissions. and with no cats im gonna bet you'll never pass.

most people talk, but few are up for the moment
-where there's money and imagination, there's cool cars
ohhh the Junkyard , one man's trash is another man's treasure

1993 3.8L Tbird----sold
1994 4.6L Tbird----sold
1995 Mark VIII----sold
2004 Mustang GT----sold
2003 Mach 1----current
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 04:16 PM
Jedi Master

get rid of the resonator, put a y pipe in there instead and:

option 1:
replace the rear mufflers and nothing else with above note on resonator

option 2:
use a camaro muffler and put two 2.5 inch tips

-Orlando

friends don't let friends drive Chevy
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 11:01 PM
PostWhore

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokuman View Post
Hey guys,

I wanted to get some better sound from my exhaust. I want legal, loud and cheap. I was thinking about getting 2 dyno mufflers. Would they be quiet? my friend put 2 flowmaster on his neon(yuck) and it sounded like his cars stomach was turning over constantly. Would mine be as quiet as that with the dyno?

I really don't want to change my pipes or cats for now. Would that effect the sound very much? Should I just wait util I have like $600 to do it all?
South Hill huh?

Here are the code sections that you will need to be aware of then.
Quote:
§ 46.2-1047. Muffler cutout, etc., illegal.

It shall be unlawful to sell or offer for sale any (i) muffler without interior baffle plates or other effective muffling device or (ii) gutted muffler, muffler cutout, or straight exhaust. It shall be unlawful for any person to operate on the highways in the Commonwealth a motor vehicle, moped, or motorized skateboard or scooter equipped with a gutted muffler, muffler cutout, or straight exhaust.
Quote:
§ 46.2-1049. Exhaust system in good working order.

No person shall drive and no owner of a vehicle shall permit or allow the operation of any such vehicle on a highway unless it is equipped with an exhaust system in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual levels of noise; provided however, that for motor vehicles, such exhaust system shall be of a type installed as standard factory equipment, or comparable to that designed for use on the particular vehicle as standard factory equipment. An exhaust system shall not be deemed to prevent excessive or unusual noise if it permits the escape of noise in excess of that permitted by the standard factory equipment exhaust system of private passenger motor vehicles or trucks of standard make.

The term "exhaust system," as used in this section, means all the parts of a vehicle through which the exhaust passes after leaving the engine block, including mufflers and other sound dissipative devices.

Chambered pipes are not an effective muffling device to prevent excessive or unusual noise, and any vehicle equipped with chambered pipes shall be deemed in violation of this section.
Good luck ........

A fine pair ... ... and whatever you do, Have a Safe Trip!
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 11:59 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
Quote:
Originally Posted by alasich View Post
i dont think he means 22" tips... i think he meant 2 2" tips or something like that

and having no mufflers is illegal here... but what they can't see wont hurt them

yes 22inch tips as in 22inches in length.

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 01:36 AM
Clueless Poster

Send a message via AIM to v8_superbirdy Send a message via Yahoo to v8_superbirdy
throw glass packs the straight through ones like purple hornies or cherry bombs there 20 bucks each and they're loud

my other ride is an ambulance!
1997 V8 sport - first car - sold 6/7/10
2006 silver mustang gt premiumcustom made grill, frpp shorty headers, pypes cat back exhaust, hurst billet pro shifter,
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 12:31 PM
PostWhore
The AFDB is on a lil tight.

Chop the muffs and strap on down turns and call it a day. Don't expect any performance gains by toying with the bad factory exhaust. I have a DI/DO muff and HI-flo cats sitting around waiting for the project to get that far. It won't cost you an arm and a leg to do the exhaust right if you leave the manifolds alone. Magnaflow/Dynomax products are affordable and work.

Spinning pies like wheels.

DD driving my 20 year old project

Now with new ball joints...again
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 02:50 PM
Veteran Poster

Third cat gone, replaced with X-Pipe. SLP Loudmouths mid-mounted, 2.25" true dual. $150 for mufflers, $225 for piping and welding. Loud, as anyone here who's heard my car can attest to.

1997 Laser Red Thunderbird LX V8, grey cloth, third cat replaced with X-pipe, SLP Loudmouth 1's, 2.25" duals, (loud as all hell)
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 03:09 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 95xbird Send a message via MSN to 95xbird
I'm running the ART exhaust system with some Dynomax mufflers.Not loud enough for my taste.I may replace them with some Glasspacks.

04 PI swap,SVO Supercharger 8-9 psi,Alcohol injection,39lbs Cobra injectors,XCal2-Walbro 255 LPH fuel pump,4.10 T-Lok,2003 4R70W built to withstand by RobertP,450hp JMOD,3800 circleD stall,trucool 4739 Trans Cooler,Dynotech 3.5 Driveshaft,70mm T/B,SCP Cold Air Intake,90mm LMAF,JBA headers,Magnaflow Midmount,No cats with 3inch piping,Vogtland 1.6inch drop,Cobra R's and xenon body kit.

Its slow, Really.
LS1 KILLER
1995 svo Tbird. R.I.P.
Parts FOR SALE http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=132585
96 Pearl white bird. Awaiting transplants from the 95
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 11:01 PM
4th Gear Poster

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

I got this set on my 95, and I think it sounds good. Granted, it's not very loud, but it sings beautifully above 3000, and even better, it doesn't drone on the highway (maybe I'm finally getting old)

But if you want loud and cheap, I'd say cut the muffs out and replace with straight pipe, but put those sound reducing tips on.
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Which would give me more power, the dynomax that cobra posted or the true duels with third cat removed(is that legal?)
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 03:20 PM
PostWhore
The AFDB is on a lil tight.

Legal is kind of a gray area, just as long as you pass emissions and have the emission control systems in place under the hood. You can get away with cutting off the 3rd cat and taking it to a shop and have them run pipes. They won't cut it off for you though in most cases. You won't gain much power when adding a true duel to a stock set up. The differences in power gains are not much when talking about which muffs to add. If you plan to keep you engine stock then 2.25 true duel with most muffs will net you the same. So then you can look at cost and decide what is really worth your trouble. Its mostly a sound thing unless you've modified and tuned you car. The only way to do the exhaust right on the mn12 is a full exhaust, with either kooks headers, or ported manifolds. And on a stock car the power gain isn't worth the cost. So there is a predicament. You should look elsewhere if you want power, PI head and intake swap for example. There is just too many bottlenecks to bother with a cat back.

Cat back on a stock set up=waste of money

I agree with cobrajoe in being cheap.

Spinning pies like wheels.

DD driving my 20 year old project

Now with new ball joints...again
post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 11:00 PM

dont just cut the mufflers off i would save your money for a decent setup plus and alot of people will back me up but i think it sounds like ass when u do that an the drone inside the car is rediculous and sounds like a hive of bees chasing u lol
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 11:07 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

im not reading the entire thread so if this was brought up so what hear it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokuman View Post
H I want legal, loud and cheap.

by most state standards, any exhaust modification made to a vehicle that makes it louder then the stock original noise level is considered illegal.

so to answer the quote. you cant. do all 3.

CMP Drag Racing
best ET: 12.410 -- best MPH: 107.61
NMRA MM7270 -- NMCA EFI/? ????
Thank you to the CMP Drag Racing team: Tony, Doug, Maryann, Dale, Paul and Chris.

post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 02:11 AM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to 94trouble
what i did was, cut off the rear mufflers,the resonator and gut the third cat, replace the resonator with a dynomax bullet muffler and put straight pipes out the back. It sounds pretty good to me, but you may want one more bullet depending on your tastes

Wrecked my 94LX looking to get another car.
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 09:46 PM
4th Gear Poster

Look into the company PYPES. They have a great sound.

Jon, 96 Thunderbird LX Sport
2004 Explorer PI, 02 GT MAF + Airbox, BBK 78mm TB, Marauder TC, Ceramic coated ported manifolds by Braincoating, 3.73 Trac lok, Cut Sport springs, SC side skirts
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

SO, what I am thinking I will do is, replace cats with high flo, run 2.25 pipes down, x pipe, and put some flowmaster(or something better) midway. What you all think?
post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 08:07 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to FunktasticLucky
I'll be having a Dynomax Catback for Sale in a few weeks actually. First dibs is to 93LX if he still wants it. I'll be having quite a few goodies to sell actually.

2018 Lincoln MKZ Black Label 3.0T AWD
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

I'd buy your catback but I'd rather have the whole exhaust redonesimilar to blade runner's red tbird. I appreciate it tho.
post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 12:46 AM
Veteran Poster

Hahaha.....YES!!! I've successfully corrupted another!!! LMAO!!!

1997 Laser Red Thunderbird LX V8, grey cloth, third cat replaced with X-pipe, SLP Loudmouth 1's, 2.25" duals, (loud as all hell)
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Runner View Post
Hahaha.....YES!!! I've successfully corrupted another!!! LMAO!!!
lol, what exact mufflers did you use? A link would be nice =]
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 03:26 PM
Veteran Poster

Part # 31062, http://www.slponline.com/browse_list.asp

post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

THanks =]

It's interesting tho. They aren't like mufflers? Looks like they're not going to fit my need as legal..... but we'll see =]
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 12:22 AM
Veteran Poster

They passed a Harris County, TX sniffer and visual, so I'm pretty sure they'll work for you as well....lol

post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

HMm.. sounds good. NOW to go ask around to see if I can get anyone to say that it's possible to do this set up. Asked one shop.. they said I'm out of my mind cause the car's too small or some bull... lol
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 05:21 PM
Veteran Poster

Save the pic of my exaust setup, print it out, and take it to them. They say it's too small and can't be done? HAH! My setup proves them dead wrong...LOL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in