exhaust turndowns - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

exhaust turndowns

a frien of mine just got a 95 t bird and wants to do the muffler delete.

i showed him this article http://www.cintcc.com/assets/tech/muffler_delete.html and he wants to know if he could just put the turndown tips where you cut the mufflers off and dump it right there and not put on the 18" pipe. and he also wants to know whether it will make a difference in the way it will sound.

thanks

Matt W.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 08:29 PM
Veteran Poster

That would NOT be the brightest of ideas....If there are any holes in the trunk area, or even if there aren't, there's too high of a risk of carbon monoxide entering the cabin.

1997 Laser Red Thunderbird LX V8, grey cloth, third cat replaced with X-pipe, SLP Loudmouth 1's, 2.25" duals, (loud as all hell)
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

oh really? i didnt realize they would be that close to the cabin.

ill let him know.

wait so what about when people do turndowns underneath the car... does that create the same problem?

Matt W.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 09:55 PM
PostWhore
The AFDB is on a lil tight.

Looks like the rust club to me in that article. Tell your friend to not bother or waste his time. I did what he wants to do and its a waste of time. I wish I had not cut off the muffs, the sound is so so and that is being generous. If his car has the kind of rust seen in the article tell him his new tips will rust up twice as fast. There is umpteen other things to tackle if a car is stock, exhaust is the least of them. To sum it up its not worth the trouble, you gain no power, you gets lots of tinny drone. Although I don't have any exhaust issues, even the emissions place didn't say anything.

Spinning pies like wheels.

DD driving my 20 year old project

Now with new ball joints...again
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

well i did it to mine and i like the sound a lot, it doesnt bother me at all.

and he liked the way it souned also, so he wanted to do it.

Matt W.

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 10:19 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
mine's still like that unfortunatly, the biggest thing i regret doing to date actually. it sounds better than i expected it to at first, but the minute your sitting at a light next to a mustang or another 4.6 car with a custom exhaust you realize how horrible it actually sounds. its quiet at idle, buzzy and loud off idle, same for cruising speeds but not as bad, and for a brief moment between 4 and 5k rpm's it sounds ok.

and Splattered just for that comment your banned from the rust club

-Matt
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 09:44 AM
smoothed and filled red pearl 94

Send a message via AIM to 94MN1246
i cut my mufflers off and put turndowns right after the rear wheels. i used only 2 turndowns a grinder and a welder. they face outward and do not dump under my car at all. while it isnt the best sound, i believe it sounds better than stock. here is a shot of my setup.

-John

MAMN-12 Fringe Member
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 10:02 AM
Veteran Poster

Looks real clean with the shaved moldings.

Eibach 1.5" Lower Springs, Koni Adjustable Shocks, SCP IRS Brace, SCP Lower Engine Cradle Brace, Mark VIII LCAs
Chuck's Poly Motor Mounts, 13" PBR Front and Cobra rear brakes, 245-45-18 ADR Kasai Wheels, RichardM Intake Tube
Super Coupe leather seats and console, Pioneer Head, Audison Amps, Boston SL Components, 10" Boston G5 subs, Reverse Glow EL Gauges, Super Coupe Ground Effects, '96 Hood and Headlights, Custom paint: Tungsten Silver, PI Intake, 4000 stall
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 10:29 PM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
mine's still like that unfortunatly, the biggest thing i regret doing to date actually. it sounds better than i expected it to at first, but the minute your sitting at a light next to a mustang or another 4.6 car with a custom exhaust you realize how horrible it actually sounds. its quiet at idle, buzzy and loud off idle, same for cruising speeds but not as bad, and for a brief moment between 4 and 5k rpm's it sounds ok.

and Splattered just for that comment your banned from the rust club
i second that, you will regret it at some point. it sounds like azz with nothing at all. next to a real custom exhaust its downright embarassing. i know i tried it myself....it's your car but still. just my .02

Mods: The usual stuff... 3.73 Gears, J-mod, catless mandrel 2.5" true duals, Marauder Converter, Eibachs, Xcal2 and Phoenix Gold Audio, chrome 18's, etc. etc..
I joined the dark side...
2002 Mustang GT, FRPP Aluminator with Tork Tech MP112 intercooled S/C at 17PSI, with all the supporting mods.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 11:18 PM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to 94trouble
yea no muffs sound like ass. I have a dynomax bullet in place of the resonator and gutted third cat. It sounds pretty good, but i only did it for the sound. One day im going to go true duals. Save your money and put it into another part of the car.

Wrecked my 94LX looking to get another car.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 12:02 AM
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95_SilverBird View Post
Looks real clean with the shaved moldings.
X2

any more pics?

or should i search your pics
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 01:16 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Traveler
Those tips remind me.... I was seriously considering those twin side exit tips behind the rear wheels..... Like the ones that late 70's Trans Ams had.... I think they'd look good.

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
80 MM Mustang GT MAF - P&P'd Mustang GT TB and Intake Plenum - PI Intake manifold - PI Heads
Mark VIII Torque Converter - J-Modded 4R70W transmission - Mark VIII Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 gears
PBR Brake Calipers - Eibach Springs - KYB Shocks
'89 SuperCoupe front and rear sway bars
SCT Chip programmed by Lonnie Doll
255/50/16 Falken Ziex ZE-512's
True Dual exhaust with Magnaflow DI/DO muffler
<<< SOLD >>>
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 06:14 PM
smoothed and filled red pearl 94

Send a message via AIM to 94MN1246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cucamongan View Post
X2

any more pics?

or should i search your pics
thanks. if you look at this thread http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=114050 there are a few pics of my bird in the first post and tons of other great lookings birds/cougars, too. i may go do the photoshoot thing this weekend so ill post some new ones soon.

-John

MAMN-12 Fringe Member
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 11:28 PM
PostWhore

I found 3 rusty bolts on my car so far after over a year of hunting for rust. So yeah I'm banned from the rust club.

I was stupid too and chopped the muffs.

If ANYTHING positive can be said about it, dropping the exhaust is very easy for me since I only have 1 hanger for the back section. I worked around the exhaust installing the addco rear bar so there ARE pluses. I bolted on turn downs in place of the muffs so the big sway bar was able to clear it. Not to mention I didn't have to drop the exhaust to remove my rear LCA's so there are temporary pluses. I'm going to enjoy that plus column 1 more time when the Mark 8 LCA's go in when those mythical spring perches get made. So yeah if you do what I did its make life easier if you decide to do some worthwhile mods afterwards.

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 11:42 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splattered View Post
I found 3 rusty bolts on my car so far after over a year of hunting for rust. So yeah I'm banned from the rust club.

I was stupid too and chopped the muffs.

If ANYTHING positive can be said about it, dropping the exhaust is very easy for me since I only have 1 hanger for the back section. I worked around the exhaust installing the addco rear bar so there ARE pluses. I bolted on turn downs in place of the muffs so the big sway bar was able to clear it. Not to mention I didn't have to drop the exhaust to remove my rear LCA's so there are temporary pluses. I'm going to enjoy that plus column 1 more time when the Mark 8 LCA's go in when those mythical spring perches get made. So yeah if you do what I did its make life easier if you decide to do some worthwhile mods afterwards.
yea dropping the exhaust is pretty easy like that , helped me a million when i swapped in my gears, and even more when i swapped my trans yesterday. so i'd agree it makes life much easier when they are off. when i build my new exhaust i'm going to try setting it up similar to how it is now(in terms of mounting and where it bolts together) or easier to remove than stock at least, because i find myself doing alot of work under the car lately.

-Matt
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008, 11:46 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
yea dropping the exhaust is pretty easy like that , helped me a million when i swapped in my gears, and even more when i swapped my trans yesterday. so i'd agree it makes life much easier when they are off. when i build my new exhaust i'm going to try setting it up similar to how it is now(in terms of mounting and where it bolts together) or easier to remove than stock at least, because i find myself doing alot of work under the car lately.
Your car is turning out pretty cool, those are some nice wheels. Keep up the good work. I never saw many good looking cougars when I lived in IL.

I spent a while under the car already, and when I cut off the muffs I bolted the hangers back onto the car for later so they can be reused for the next exhaust set up.

I only dropped the exhaust to change out the drive shaft and fuel pump. I guess I'll be doing it again when the 3.73 tl mark8 pumpkin goes in. But I want to do the whole rear end build up at once with Mark 8 half shafts, spindles, brakes, LCAs. Just swap the whole assembly at once and be done.

So anyone who plans to mod like that chopping the muffs isn't a bad idea for a temporary mod.

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 12:36 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

I just did it today, and while it sounds all right, tolerable, at the moment, I'm definitely putting a midmounted dual in single out muffler (no pipe bender to make dual out) on it in the next few weeks. I just look at it as a good starting point, since now I have straight pipe on the back and tips I like, so I'm halfway done.

Needs more stall.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 08:36 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to thunderchikin97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Those tips remind me.... I was seriously considering those twin side exit tips behind the rear wheels..... Like the ones that late 70's Trans Ams had.... I think they'd look good.
dude, if youre considering those TA tips...get em. thats what i got on my car and they look freakin awesome man. ive got mine comin out at about a 45 degree angle to the ground and i love the way it looks.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 08:45 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Traveler
I agree it'd look great. But the entire "theme" of the car is what would it look like IF Ford had built a Thunderbird GT in 97. I'm thinking it'd be similar to the 97 GT, but since Ford put the good stuff on the nice cars first (like the T-bird) it would have gotten the PI heads and intake first. So to really get the GT look, it'd have those single 2.5" to 3" tips on it, one on each side. I'll probably go that way and lose the twin tips I've got now.

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
80 MM Mustang GT MAF - P&P'd Mustang GT TB and Intake Plenum - PI Intake manifold - PI Heads
Mark VIII Torque Converter - J-Modded 4R70W transmission - Mark VIII Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 gears
PBR Brake Calipers - Eibach Springs - KYB Shocks
'89 SuperCoupe front and rear sway bars
SCT Chip programmed by Lonnie Doll
255/50/16 Falken Ziex ZE-512's
True Dual exhaust with Magnaflow DI/DO muffler
<<< SOLD >>>
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 10:31 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to thunderchikin97
i gotcha. your 'thunderbird gt' theme is a pretty sweet idea, very original actually. and as far as sticking w/ that theme, youre right...the TA tips wouldnt really fit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in