question about exhaust hardware - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

question about exhaust hardware

On the 4.6L...never worked with exhaust before...

Should I cut thru the exhaust manifold to cat bolts? The nut seems rusted and has no hex on it anymore. I'm worried it is threaded into the manifold flange and will be a pain to replace. I guess it could be drilled out...but I'll make sure first.

Also, the flange between the resonator section and the rear is very rusty. Is it possible to just replace the flange or do you have to replace the muffler pipe (there is a flare there that seems a new flange wont go on). In the worst case two worm clamps will solve this problem.

I can't believe this exhaust has 200K+ on it though...its still pretty good.

Last edited by tbirdguy; 04-07-2012 at 09:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 11:27 PM
5th Gear Poster

200k on a stock exhaust in new england pretty impresive. iirc the manifolt bolts are actually studs not bolts thats why theres no hex (could be rong havnt had a stock exhaust in along time). your best bet is going to be cutting the bolts, i used a air chistle when mine stripped. also theres no way to get that flange over the flair. i would say that with 200k on it you would be better off replaceing the entire exhaust manifold back rather than replaceing just the bad pieces.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 12:25 AM
Veteran Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to Slowride
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowbird96 View Post
. i would say that with 200k on it you would be better off replaceing the entire exhaust manifold back rather than replaceing just the bad pieces.
Agreed. And then you can remove the manifold studs and just use bolts in place of them....especially on the drivers side, the one nut is pointed towards the engine compartment (on top of the manifold flange) and can be a PITA to get to later. Drop the bolts in so everything is pointed down....makes working on it later ALOT easier.

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in