Magnaflow VS Dynomax mid-mount - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Magnaflow VS Dynomax mid-mount

Hi everyone I have a 1995 T-bird lx 4.6, tryin to decide on exhaust and i Know that i want to go with a Mid-Mount muffler.
My question is does anyone have any experience with the dynomax DI-DO?

I know that some ppl have the magnaflow but curious about the difference's between the two
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 03:03 AM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
well i dont know if it will help, but hopefully sometime in the near future i will install my pair of Dynomax ultraflo's midmounted....but the sound might be deceiving, as i've done a little bit of work to my engine..lol
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 08:40 PM
PostWhore
The AFDB is on a lil tight.

I have the muffler in my garage and I haven't gotten to the exhaust phase yet. So far I'm the only one I know who will be running a DI DO dynomax mid mount. I need to have the engine in first before I start cobbling an exhaust together.

Spinning pies like wheels.

DD driving my 20 year old project

Now with new ball joints...again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 09:02 PM
6th Gear Poster

I have a mid-mounted di/do magnaflow. I am very happy with it. My car has a dohc motor, kooks headers, no cats and 2.5" pipe from the front to the back. At idle it is not very loud, but has a deep tone. My car has set off car alarms in the parking garage at school if i give it a quick jab. From about 4k to 5k it is a little rough/ very very loud, but seems to smooth out again past that. I would imagine with cats it would be a lot more subdued. I get a lot of compliments on the sound of my car/confused mustang drivers at lights and would most definitely recommend the magnaflow unit. I do not have any first hand experience with the dynomax di/do muffler, but i think they have a similar construction and probably wouldn't sound radically different from one another.

lowered, koni sport adjustables, 4.30 tl in aluminum housing, mark 8 trans, j-mod, 93 mark viii ds, antenna hole=gone, kooks headers 1.75" primaries, 2.5" catless duals, midmount magnaflow, 96-97 sport wheels with 255/50/16 sumitomo HTR Zs, optima in the trunk, new motor...94 mark 6/6/08
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 06:37 PM
SuperNewbie

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to supergordo
I've heard the magnaflow setup on two different 97 SOHC cars and a 97 DOHC mark 8. Its a great sound and its not annoying at all.

1995 Cougar XR7 4.6
1997 Thunderbird LX 4.6
1977 Country Squire 460
1985 Capri RS 5.0, 5spd
1997 Thunderbird 4.6
1984 Capri RS 5.0,5spd
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 08:58 PM
1st Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to fordsvtbird
I wish I had a video of my old exhaust setup.. but it's the Borla XR-1's mid mounted with h-pipe setup. It's in this previous post. As you can tell I don't need it with my current setup. This was on a DOHC though..so the portion bolting to the manifolds would need to be changed and cut off to go back to the stock angles to make it work. This sounded great and was very unique. Not too bad at cruising either.
http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=114588&page=2
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 08:11 AM
6th Gear Poster

i've ran 2.5" DIDO magnaflow tru-x muffler for the last 3 years now... best sound imo. No cats either.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 09:13 PM

hey anyone got any opinions on the super 44? (UNless that's what your talking about, which it might be I'm a noobie )
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 02:29 AM
Veteran Poster

I'll stick with my SLP Loudmouths.....lol

1997 Laser Red Thunderbird LX V8, grey cloth, third cat replaced with X-pipe, SLP Loudmouth 1's, 2.25" duals, (loud as all hell)
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 01:42 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Red-Resurected97_4.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrllVl90 View Post
hey anyone got any opinions on the super 44? (UNless that's what your talking about, which it might be I'm a noobie )
what are you planning to put it on?...i think they drone alot personally.

1997 T-Bird 4.6l V8-- Rear mufflers swapped for 2" straight pipes, Air silencer removed and K&N panel filter. SCP Cobra R Ram Air hood.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 12:13 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrllVl90 View Post
Personally I'm not a fan of them they drone a lot and have that underwater bubbly sound that I don't care for.

And they aren't what we are talking about at all they're talking about magnaflow and dynamax's dual in dual out x pipe mufflers.

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 12:42 AM
PostWhore

Has anyone seen this one mid mounted? 2.5" DI/DO ultra flow tru x

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Splattered you need to get that thing mounted up and get some sound clips up so we can hear that thing!! Thats the one i was talkin about but i really want to hear what it sounds like before i buy one.

It's fairly easy to find Magnaflow clips but i wanna hear the dynomax...they have (dynomax) have came to the Summit in Mcdonough for the last 2 yrs with there dyno and if u have there product on your car they give u 2 free pulls
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 04:59 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by transam396 View Post
Splattered you need to get that thing mounted up and get some sound clips up so we can hear that thing!! Thats the one i was talkin about but i really want to hear what it sounds like before i buy one.

It's fairly easy to find Magnaflow clips but i wanna hear the dynomax...they have (dynomax) have came to the Summit in Mcdonough for the last 2 yrs with there dyno and if u have there product on your car they give u 2 free pulls
LOL tell alan aka dirtydog to 'hurry it up' LOL

Yes I have high flow cats too and I will have the exhaust done right after the engine goes on. Just doing the exhaust first won't gain you anything worth writing about. I will have my hands full. I badly want to hear it too but I have to wait.

I haven't heard anyone with this muffler yet. If someone has a clip post it.

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

yeah I know that there won't be any huge gains from doing the exhaust but damn this stock setup is quiet.... I don't want anything loud but a nice lil rumble would be nice..i've heard that flowmasters drone and cause u to lose some bottom end tourqe.

and I've heard that they don't sound good when they are mounted at the rear.... and i really don't want to cut off the mufflers cause i'm not sure about the sound...but i've heard good things about magnaflow and Dynomax can be had fairly cheap.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 11:51 AM
smoothed and filled red pearl 94

Send a message via AIM to 94MN1246
splattered-
i know its a totally different motor, but my brother has that muffler mounted to his 4.3 caprice and it sounds better than any 5.7 ive heard. again totally different motor, but it sounds so much deeper than a 2 muffler setup. i would love to hear it on a mod motor thunderbird.

-John

MAMN-12 Fringe Member
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 11:29 AM

Dynomax x-cross muffler

Gentlemen,
I am purchasing Mark Kleckner's 95 bird in March and I believe he has the Dynomax X-cross muffler, mid-mounted exiting at the differential, with some top end work. I am not sure of the piping size but if you search his for sale thread you can see the work (looks beautiful). I can provide some sound clips and possibly RTA information later this year once I get it out and running.

Peter
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 02:15 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to 94 Thunderbird XX
Magnaflow DI/DO vs. Dynomax DI/DO ?

Um....so how exactly are they any different from each other? They're both glasspacks with an internal X, right?

Delete my account.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in